The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-05-2005, 02:05 PM   #1
cowhead
halve your cake and eat it too.

how's this for neighborly love

alright, yeah it's a cut and paste job.. but I'm running late and such. this just strikes me though as one of those 'how low can a society go?' and 'wanna talk about silly lawsuits?' sort of topics.

DURANGO, Colo. (Reuters) - A Colorado judge ordered two teen-age girls to pay about $900 for the distress a neighbor said they caused by giving her home-made cookies adorned with paper hearts.

The pair were ordered to pay $871.70 plus $39 in court costs after neighbor Wanita Renea Young, 49, filed a lawsuit complaining that the unsolicited cookies, left at her house after the girls knocked on her door, had triggered an anxiety attack that sent her to the hospital the next day.

Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.

The girls baked cookies as a surprise for several of their rural Colorado neighbors on July 31 and dropped off small batches on their porches, accompanied by red or pink paper hearts and the message: "Have a great night."

The Denver Post newspaper reported on Friday that the girls had decided to stay home and bake the cookies rather than go to a dance where there might be cursing and drinking.

It reported that six neighbors wrote letters entered as evidence in the case thanking the girls for the cookies.

But Young said she was frightened because the two had knocked on her door at about 10:30 p.m. and run off after leaving the cookies.

She went to a hospital emergency room the next day, fearing that she had suffered a heart attack, court records said.

The judge awarded Young her medical costs, but did not award punitive damages. He said he did not think the girls had acted maliciously but that 10:30 was fairly late at night for them to be out.

the thing I'm curious about.. is why did this woman freak out? some paper heart phobia? I mean I hate Valentines day too.. but geez.. the woman must have just Grinched-out or something
Old 02-05-2005, 04:23 PM   #2
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

My understanding is she never went to her door and saw the cookies at all. They knocked, she called out, "Who's there?," they giggled and ran away, she decided she'd just scared off a giggling rapist/murderer, and worked herself into heart palpitations for the rest of the night.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 04:42 PM   #3
Schrodinger's Cat
Macavity

I suppose I can understand a woman alone in a rural area becoming frightened by a mysterious knocking on her door late at night. I wonder if she called the sheriff's department? I would think that having a couple of husky young deputies come out and check around the premises only to find a plate of cookies would have gone a long way toward preventing this woman's anxiety attack. What I also don't understand is why this woman would feel the need to sue these two girls after she discovered what was really going on. It doesn't sound as those the girls meant any harm. They may have made an error in judgement running around knocking on people's doors at that late an hour, but at least they weren't out vandalizing property or drinking and driving. At most, the judge should have told the girls to write the woman an apology for not considering how such late activities might impact someone who had no idea what was happening. Having the kids pay damages is ridiculous.
Old 02-05-2005, 05:23 PM   #4
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

OR....

cookies left on your doorstep might be viewed as a death threat by this particular old ladies' people. like a horse head in your bed, or a fish in your desk drawer.

OR.....she's an evil old bitch that should burn in hell....

i can't decide
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 06:15 PM   #5
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

If either one of those girls were my daughter, I'd leave something on that old bitch's doorstep that she'd never forget.
Old 02-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #6
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Whatever happened to leaving bags of burning shit on the doorstep?

Anybody else amused that the girls ended up charged and fined after having declined to go to a dance where drinking and cursing might occur?

What, precisely, does qualify as "good clean fun" these days.

I certainly hope they appeal the drive by cookie-ing conviction. That could affect their future employment opportunities.

Of course, they can still get jobs as lovely wives and helpmeets, but if they want to do anything else, they might run into some problems. Oh wait. The article isn't clear. This might have been a civil court proceeding.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 07:47 PM   #7
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
What, precisely, does qualify as "good clean fun" these days.
The kids can come over to my place. I'll help them acquire a taste for single malt Scotch. It goes against the drinking business, but I wouldn't swear or sue them. Two out of three ain't bad.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:00 PM   #8
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Oh wait. The article isn't clear. This might have been a civil court proceeding.

I thought there was no such thing as "punitive damages" (which are mentioned as not being awarded) in a criminal court?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 08:28 PM   #9
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Oh wait. The article isn't clear. This might have been a civil court proceeding.
The words "jury awarded" indicate that this was a civil case. Honestly, I don't understand how a teenager can be sued for anything since they cannot be held liable for their actions other than those implicitly or explicitly enumerated in the applicable penal codes. In other words, if they didn't break a specific law, I don't understand how they can be held accountable for their actions when they are younger than the age of contractual consent.
Old 02-05-2005, 09:52 PM   #10
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Depends on what that age is in Colorado, I suppose.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2005, 10:29 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Taylor Ostergaard, then 17, and Lindsey Jo Zellitte, 18, paid the judgment on Thursday after a small claims court ruling by La Plata County Court Judge Doug Walker, a court clerk said on Friday.
All the woman had to do is prove costs and responsibility to collect, no criminal charges.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:19 PM   #12
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
All the woman had to do is prove costs and responsibility to collect, no criminal charges.
So, if I live in an apartment adjacent to a person who (out of irrefutable medical necessity) slams a pencil into her neck every time she hears the toilet flush that **I**, therefore, am responsible for this psycho dingbat's medical bills?

That approaches the Buddha state of abdication of responsibilty.
Old 02-05-2005, 11:28 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
That approaches the Buddha state of abdication of responsibilty.
That approaches the Colorado state of abdication of responsibilty.
Old 02-10-2005, 05:26 AM   #14
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

That's fucking ridiculous.

Remind me never to move to Colorado.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2005, 09:41 AM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Stupid knows no boundaries.