The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 03-27-2004, 07:13 PM   #1
blue
Operations Operative

If I showed up at your door

Like tonight, before you go to bed. I've been divorced or on the run from something. And I ended up in your town by chance, vaguely remembered your name and looked you up in the phone book.

So you're all like "who are you, what do you want?", and I'm all like "It's me, blue58...you know, from the cellar".

"Anyway I'm in a bit of a jam, and I know you don't know me from Adam, but I could really use a place to stay for a coupla days"

What would you do, and I mean if it truly happened like this for me or any other cellar member? Looking for totally honest replies here, although smartass comments are indeed welcome and expected (and appreciated), but want some serious thoughts too.
Old 03-27-2004, 07:30 PM   #2
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

Unless you appeared to be an obvious problem, ie wearing gang colours- exuding a powerfully disgusting smell- carrying a weapon of any sort- stoned or drunk- carrying a bible etc etc...., I would be happy to help in any way possible.
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:10 PM   #3
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

If a cellar member was in serious need for a place to crash for a few days, there wouldnt be a problem.

If the cellar member wouldnt object to having my Glock pointed at their head until they logged in to prove their identity, they could crash in my second bedroom. For a few days.

You'd have to be seriously desparate to want to stay here though. Fort Slang is the polar opposite of the Undertoad estate. Not a lot you'd find interesting or appealing here.

But as for the regulars that I have met, we could skip the identity login/ Glock to temple process. This would apply to even those that I personally find the most annoying.

You might find some temporary shelter, but you'd be listening to me tell you how irritating and wrong some of your opinions in a given post have been.

Overall though, I think this is actually a pretty civil and generous group and I'm glad that people tolerate me here. If a member was in serious need, I'd help them if I could.

Even you Jag.

(But ooohh the lecture you'd get before you crashed..........wow.)
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 08:12 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I'd pick you up where ever you were calling from, get you something to eat, then drop you at LJ's house.
No seriously, we'd talk while you ate and I if was uncomfortable, I'd put you in a motel, prepaid with cash, of course.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 03-27-2004 at 08:26 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 09:13 PM   #5
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Same here... it would totally depend on what it was that got you into the situation.

Divorce etc., no problem, come on in, we've got plenty of good booze in the house.

If you were, say, covered in blood and asking to borrow the shovel, well then I'd have to insist you hosed off in the yard first--I'm very neurotic about stains.

In any case though, I have to admit I'm very leery of people wanting to stay for "a coupla days." I'd likely only go for one night, unless there were a very established deadline, like "my brother can wire me money as soon as he gets paid again" or "I'll surrender myself on Thursday, after I've seen the new South Park."
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2004, 11:07 PM   #6
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Five business days. That's plenty of time to arrange other accomodations or convince me something was happening that would get you taken care of.

All that depends on what the committee says of course...
Old 03-27-2004, 11:43 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

I'd ask jinx what to do.

better safe than sorry.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 12:09 AM   #8
staceyv
Lecturer

i would worry that you could be some crazy freak with an alter id online. there would be no way for me to know for sure if you were really who you are online. i would be afraid to open the door. i am generally suspicious and a little untrusting when it comes to strangers asking for my help...now, if i had some way to check your background and prove 100% that you are the person that you seem to be here at the cellar, i would let you in and help you out...it's just that - how would i know??
staceyv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:27 AM   #9
Torrere
a real smartass

I would probably say "come on in" and apologize for the lack of a spare comfortable place to sleep.

I've had a person from atypedigital come by at about one a.m. asking for a place to stay for the week... but then, I'd known him in real life for a few years, so it's a different scenario altogether.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 01:29 AM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

"OK, listen; from time to time somebody goes nuts and makes more of me that they're supposed to, because I appear to run the place. Nothing pisses me off worse. I don't know why you picked me but I gotta assume that's why. And I gotta admit, I think that's very fucked up.

"On the other hand, sure maybe you didn't have anywhere else to go. OK, here's what we'll do. Tonight, you can stay at the Hampden Inn on me. Tomorrow, you come back here, I'll make you some eggs and we can start a thread on this. I'm pretty sure if you really need help, we can figure this out."
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 06:33 AM   #11
Griff
still says videotape

I used to be much more free about this stuff before I got kids. I'd ask Jim to ask Jinx.
Old 03-28-2004, 09:34 AM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I'd ask Jim to ask Jinx.
Old 03-28-2004, 10:04 AM   #13
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally posted by slang
If the cellar member wouldnt object to having my Glock pointed at their head until they logged in to prove their identity, they could crash in my second bedroom.
Even a driver's license would not be sufficient. How the old standards have fallen. Today's new standards for identification - The Cellar.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2004, 10:10 AM   #14
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by tw
Even a driver's license would not be sufficient. How the old standards have fallen. Today's new standards for identification - The Cellar.
I think the Cellar is a higher standard.

Any monkey can get a driver's license. Give me a couple of days and a little money and I can have several DL's with different names that would pass any visual test.

"The Cellar. The new standard of Excellence!"
Old 03-28-2004, 10:12 AM   #15
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Another idea.

If you can survive a year as a resident of the Cellar you can be considered a citizen and can vote.

Heinlein anyone? Anyone?