The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 12-13-2008, 06:51 PM   #31
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What the hell are you talking about, HLJ? When a new member signs up and supplies an accurate correction, you tell him he's out of the loop. What kind of greeting is that?

jacksonjackson, welcome to the Cellar. I think you'll find we're quite tolerant of Aussies here.
Old 12-13-2008, 07:05 PM   #32
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I guess I can't be perfect all the time, but I'm damn close.

Confidence? Hmmmm...I don't think it's been damaged too much Zen.

jackson, welcome to the Cellar. By the looks of things you'll fit in very nicely here. BTW, did you have anything to add to the discussion aside from the correction of my spelling?
Old 12-13-2008, 07:25 PM   #33
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
What the hell are you talking about, HLJ? When a new member signs up and supplies an accurate correction, you tell him he's out of the loop. What kind of greeting is that?

jacksonjackson, welcome to the Cellar. I think you'll find we're quite tolerant of Aussies here.
Ah, forgive me kind sir. I was defending our fair Ali.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2008, 07:34 PM   #34
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I don't think "our fair Ali" needs any defending, she's proven adept at taking care of herself.
I also think she's intelligent enough to appreciate having an informational mistake corrected.

But, as long as you're not noob bashing, carry on.
Old 12-13-2008, 09:05 PM   #35
Aliantha

Well it was a mistake, but the mistake comes due to the fact that you yankies put Z's - pronounced zeds - all over the place instead of S's.

Anyway, that's my story and I'm sticking to it...and of course because I can't spell anymore.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:44 AM   #36
jacksonjackson
Person Who Has Posted

Hey guys, sorry if my initial post seemed rude and abrupt. I was in a shitty mood for a reason I can't even remember.

Just trying to help, didn't mean to troll the conversation. Carry on
jacksonjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2008, 11:28 AM   #37
HungLikeJesus

This reminds me of this sign I saw when I was in Puerto Vallarta two weeks ago.

And around the corner was a "zushi" bar.

It seems it's a common substitution.
Attached Images

Old 12-14-2008, 11:43 AM   #38
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HungLikeJesus View Post
And around the corner was a "zushi" bar.
I've seen the Z spelling at more authentic sushi bars. I don't understand why, but usually Sushi is spelled with the S, but specific dishes or styles use the Z (nigirizushi, chirashizushi, maki-zushi etc..)

Oh, here's why;
Quote:
Sushi - (soo-shee)- Technically refers to the sweetened, seasoned rice. The fish is sashimi. Wrap the two together in portions and sell it as sushi, and the name still refers to the rice, not the fish. Sushi is the term for the special rice but it is modified, in Japanese, to zushi when coupled with modifiers that describe the different styles of this most popular dish. In Japan when one says “sushi” they are referring to the whole package, the sushi rice plus the neta. And this holds true for all kinds of sushi. When one wants to say “sushi rice” they say “sushi-meshi.” Also, in Japan when someone suggests going out for sushi, they are referring specifically to nigirizushi.
Old 12-14-2008, 12:30 PM   #39
HungLikeJesus

Thanks jinx, that was interesting.

And we've brought the topic back around, too.

Old 12-14-2008, 05:36 PM   #40
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by jinx View Post
I've seen the Z spelling at more authentic sushi bars. I don't understand why, but usually Sushi is spelled with the S, but specific dishes or styles use the Z (nigirizushi, chirashizushi, maki-zushi etc..)

Oh, here's why;
Sushi - (soo-shee)- Technically refers to the sweetened, seasoned rice. The fish is sashimi. Wrap the two together in portions and sell it as sushi, and the name still refers to the rice, not the fish. Sushi is the term for the special rice but it is modified, in Japanese, to zushi when coupled with modifiers that describe the different styles of this most popular dish. In Japan when one says “sushi” they are referring to the whole package, the sushi rice plus the neta. And this holds true for all kinds of sushi. When one wants to say “sushi rice” they say “sushi-meshi.” Also, in Japan when someone suggests going out for sushi, they are referring specifically to nigirizushi.

Juzt the thought of eating raw fizh makez me want to puke. I don't care how it'z zpelled
Old 12-15-2008, 03:14 AM   #41
DucksNuts
Bitchy Little Brat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Aussie sharks are also poisonous/venomous aren't they? Probably, hell, they have trees that can kill you fifty feet...
Oh yeah, exploding gum trees can be a bitch...

Quote:
On warm days vapourised eucalyptus oil rises above the bush to create the characteristic distant blue haze of the Australian landscape. Eucalyptus oil is highly flammable (trees have been known to explode) and bush fires can travel easily through the oil-rich air of the tree crowns. The dead bark and fallen branches are also flammable. Eucalypts are well adapted for periodic fires via lignotubers and epicormic buds under the bark.
DucksNuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 10:47 PM   #42
Leah
Love my Heffalumps

I used to be a surf life saver on a very popular Northern Beaches beach called Dee Why. On a few occasions I spotted sharks out in the surf. We just had to inform the swimmers and keep an eye on which way they would swim, and try to guide them out to sea again with the IRB's. I also swam over a few hammer head sharks not knowing they were there, we only found out after we returned to shore, and the person who spotted them told us, mind you he was sitting safely on a large rescue board and decided not to make us panic. Honestly, I think he knew we'd all try and get his board from under him. I lived through that luckily and so did he.
Leah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:36 PM   #43
Aliantha

We've got a whole toolshed of sharks out there...hammerheads, sawtooths, shovelnoses...
Old 12-17-2008, 07:48 AM   #44
glatt

I was snorkeling in the reef off Lady Musgrave Island and saw some kind of gray shark. It was pretty small, only like 1.5 meters long. I thought it was really cool, and swam after it for a while until it took off. Only time I ever saw a shark in the wild.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 03:00 PM   #45
Aliantha

It might have been a white/black tip reef shark. They're pretty common in the areas where people are likely to be snorkeling on the reef. You should be careful of them though, they can leave a nasty bite if they are surprised.