The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 3.67 average. Display Modes
Old 05-07-2014, 09:18 AM   #1
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

May 7th 2014: Clydesdale!

A Clydesdale horse frolics in its paddock in the Cheviot Hills, Northumberland ahead of a heavy horses event.

Magnificant creatures!
Old 05-07-2014, 09:38 AM   #2
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

I've always wondered what the evolutionary purpose was for the extra long hair over their hooves.
Old 05-07-2014, 09:59 AM   #3
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheldonrs View Post
I've always wondered what the evolutionary purpose was for the extra long hair over their hooves.
It's to drain water away from the heels which are notoriously susceptible to infections if continually wet, eg mud fever.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:11 AM   #4
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carruthers View Post
It's to drain water away from the heels which are notoriously susceptible to infections if continually wet, eg mud fever.
Thanks! One less mystery for me to worry about.
Old 05-07-2014, 10:51 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And the winner is...

See what happens when you add a chick to that wonderful free spirit?

Event at Milfield
Old 05-07-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

Hey! That's a horse of a different color! :-)
Old 05-07-2014, 11:12 AM   #7
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Thanks for the link, Bruce. I picked up the image elsewhere (don't ask) and hadn't see the other photos.

Last edited by Carruthers; 05-07-2014 at 11:30 AM. Reason: Minor
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #8
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

It's hard for me to associate an animal as big as a Clydesdale with the word 'frolic'.

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2014, 06:43 PM   #9
Griff
still says videotape

Gorgeous picture Carruthers!
Old 05-07-2014, 10:39 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No matter how many I've seen, and between pictures and in person that's a lot, any Clydesdales not red and white give me pause. I guess Budweiser imprinted me at an early age, before I was old enough to realize some of the other color ones I saw at fairs were also Clydesdales.

The PA State Fair, called the Farm Show, has a bunch of competitions using the heavy horses. They televise on cable the draft (weight pulling) and hitch (pulling various vehicles) competitions every year. In one contest they have to back the team up to a sledge, hook it to the harnesses already on the horses, maneuver around the ring stopping to load bales of hay on the sledge at several stations, then race back to the start. They're a lot of fun to watch as in the heat of competition the drivers screw up as much or more than the horses.

Most of these horses at the Farm Show are kept and trained for competitions at the county fairs during the summer/fall. Much of the work they do on the farm is for exercise and is usually done with a tractor or the regular working teams. It will cost the farmer thousands of dollars a year to keep and train his show team. Like owning a sports team, talent casts money, and big talent costs big money.

Oh, when they step on your foot, hopefully on very soft ground where your foot can sink a little, what can you do? Same thing war is good for, absolutely nothin'.
You can't pull it out, you can't get away, you're trapped until the old gray mare decides to move. You can beg, plead, swear, holler, and punch, but do you really want to startle or worse piss off, a 2000 lb animal that you currently can't get away from?
Old 05-08-2014, 03:37 AM   #11
SPUCK
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
It's hard for me to associate an animal as big as a Clydesdale with the word 'frolic'.
Like: See that frolicking Abrams tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh, when they step on your foot, hopefully on very soft ground where your foot can sink a little, what can you do? Same thing war is good for, absolutely nothin'.
You can't pull it out, you can't get away, you're trapped until the old gray mare decides to move. You can beg, plead, swear, holler, and punch, but do you really want to startle or worse piss off, a 2000 lb animal that you currently can't get away from?
Yes and when you push on them they feel like you might imbalance them so they promptly lean into you putting even more weight on your foot. Very frustrating.
SPUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 03:52 AM   #12
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Yes and when you push on them they feel like you might imbalance them so they promptly lean into you...
And that's why you never see an older heavy horse farrier. Their backs give out before they're forty.
Old 05-08-2014, 06:00 AM   #13
Griff
still says videotape

Pony pulling was a really big deal around here when I was a kid. The horses were lighter than these big boys though. There is a field behind a local bar where it was bbq and horse pulls all day long. My Dad's cousin has pulling horses a his place. He grew up with them and his Dad and uncle were very late in completely eliminating horses from their farm. I remember (or saw pictures of me) riding the last old work horse on their farm around 1970.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:16 AM   #14
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff View Post
I remember (or saw pictures of me)
Few are so honest that they would phrase it like this.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2014, 09:43 AM   #15
BardoXV
B.O.F.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
The PA State Fair, called the Farm Show, has a bunch of competitions using the heavy horses. They televise on cable the draft (weight pulling) and hitch (pulling various vehicles) competitions every year. In one contest they have to back the team up to a sledge, hook it to the harnesses already on the horses, maneuver around the ring stopping to load bales of hay on the sledge at several stations, then race back to the start. They're a lot of fun to watch as in the heat of competition the drivers screw up as much or more than the horses.

I haven't been to The farm Show for several years, but my daughter took the grandkids this year, they told me all about it. I know many people that go just for the food vendors that sell foods that you can't get any other time or place.
BardoXV is offline   Reply With Quote