The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 08-08-2003, 07:14 PM   #46
juju
no one of consequence

I saw a license plate frame on a VW Jetta today that said, "God can't be everywhere at once. That's why he made grandmothers."

And I thought, "Cute, except that directly contradicts the notion that 'God is Omnipotent'. Jesus Christ, don't religious people even attempt logic anymore??"

Last edited by juju; 08-08-2003 at 07:16 PM.
juju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:19 PM   #47
juju
no one of consequence

Of course, that also reminds me of another recent, un-religous conversation I had.

I asked my mom why strangers and aquaintances kept asking me what Kathy's due-date is. The information is completely worthless to them. What possible use would they get out if it? The question just serves to irritate me, because I know all they'll do in response is nod and then never, ever use the answer for anything.

But in response, she just told me I was too serious.
Old 08-08-2003, 07:21 PM   #48
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That, or you're being a firestarter (which you seem to do here too).
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 07:41 PM   #49
juju
no one of consequence

Did you just call me a troll?
Old 08-08-2003, 08:49 PM   #50
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

It's not your sole purpose, so I wouldn't call you a troll.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2003, 10:20 PM   #51
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
, don't religious people even attempt logic anymore??"
It's not the religious people that are illogical, it's grandmothers.

Quote:
why strangers and aquaintances kept asking me what Kathy's due-date is.
I'm not casting any aspersions here but when coworkers tell me about their pregnant wife that's all I can think of to say. Maybe subconsciously I'm marking the date to start avoiding them. That's when the baby stories and pictures start.
Old 08-27-2003, 06:15 PM   #52
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 06:07 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2003, 09:19 AM   #53
russotto
Professor

Maybe the grandmothers in question subscribe to a religion where God isn't omniscient.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #54
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

And lo, Mike finally enters the fray

Sorry, been busy for the last few days. Damn shame, this has been a pretty juicy topic.

I personally walk the Roman Catholic path, as any good Irish boy from Queens is wont to do. Now, despite the efforts of the Plum soccer moms to deny me my education in my chosen faith, I have succeeded in learning one thing or another - namely, purgatory.

When I first heard of purgatory, I figured it was a dogmatic cop-out, and dismissed it from my mind. But after reading up and learning, I'm thinking that it's probably the core solution here. To infer from Matthew and Revelations, only those of a perfect soul can stand there and see God without turning into metaphysical goo. As follows, since no one is perfect, one spends some time to dust off the lint before stepping into the club.

Now, of course, the Catechism has this as a Catholic-only thing, all non Catholics will be subject to one circle of Hell or another, etc. etc., but to look past that, it gives one the impression that so long as you fly right, whatever minor things you pick up will be taken care of later no matter what you believe.

Do I believe that Jesus is the qualifier for the club, yeah. But it's like a classy restaurant - If you show up without a jacket and tie but look nice, clean, etc., they'll spot you one at the door. You just have to wait around for a bit.
Old 10-30-2003, 06:02 AM   #55
twodotfive
why do toasters have a burn setting?

Re: "thou shalt not kill"

Quote:
Originally posted by joydriven
As someone with some assurance about the afterlife, I would hesitate greatly before making the decision to send another person there. And God does not promise a fair life for the Christian. We are to expect opposition, maybe even persecution to death.
Hi Joy,

You give a rare perspective to Christianity in these three sentences. When I read the first sentence I thought, "what decision do I make in sending other people there *unprepared* because I didn't live in obvious relationship with God and didn't speak to them about God?"

I don't mean to try to motivate myself by guilt, but not sure how I can escape guilt if I just avoid the responsibility and opportunity to participate in God's working. And it isn't guilt I feel so much as the importance of the opportunity. I think your last two sentences are important in that our transformation is best accomplished, and best revealed to others, in the unfairnesses and oppositions of life and how we face and endure them.

Anyway, I enjoyed your very thoughtful posts and wanted to let you know you got me thinking.

Last edited by twodotfive; 10-30-2003 at 06:22 AM.
twodotfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 06:15 AM   #56
twodotfive
why do toasters have a burn setting?

Re: And lo, Mike finally enters the fray

Quote:
Originally posted by Chewbaccus
When I first heard of purgatory, I figured it was a dogmatic cop-out, and dismissed it from my mind. But after reading up and learning, I'm thinking that it's probably the core solution here. To infer from Matthew and Revelations, only those of a perfect soul can stand there and see God without turning into metaphysical goo. As follows, since no one is perfect, one spends some time to dust off the lint before stepping into the club.
Great explanation of purgatory. It seems to me you've nicely summed up the relatively minor difference between Roman Catholicism and Protestants with this example.

For both Roman Catholic and Protestant, Jesus' death for us is critical to salvation and heaven. For the Roman Catholic, His death provides us opportunity to enter purgatory to be cleansed from minor unconfessed sins and thereby be made ready for heaven. For the protestant, Jesus' death on the cross makes us ready for heaven, not just ready for purgatory.

Protestants think of Jesus as having cleansed us of the penalty for all sin in His death for us; taking care of both hell and purgatory; removing the dirt and grime of sin as well as the lint and dust.

Last edited by twodotfive; 10-30-2003 at 06:23 AM.
twodotfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2003, 10:17 AM   #57
Chewbaccus
Freethinker/booter

Yeah, my mother was originally Scots Presby before converting when she married my father, and she still has that core of confident faith about how things will turn out. I, however, can't even make plans for an afternoon next week without worrying what might happen to derail them.
Old 11-28-2003, 06:38 PM   #58
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

OK, FNF, you start. I'm really looking forward to this.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2003, 07:13 PM   #59
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by OnyxCougar

Now. In the above quote, the part you left out is this: Abraham takes Isaac to the mountain to sacrifice his child, because God told him to. When he gets up there, he raises his hand to kill his son, and the angel of the Lord stops him, and tells him, you have not withheld your only son. (So, it was a test of Abraham's faith.) Abraham doesn't kill his son.
The fact that Abraham didn't end killing his son does not make the story any less ridiculous.

All that would make the story MORE ridiculous would be if God actually said, "Just kidding!" or "You're on candid camera!"
Old 11-29-2003, 12:48 AM   #60
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

But that's not what FnF tried to imply with his quote. He tried to imply that the bible says God wanted human sacrifice. That is not the case.
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote