The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 AM   #1141
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Mildly irritating?

I've waited my whole life for it to snow in my hometown on Christmas.

We have passed the 1890's record for snow in the valley.

Even though I have appreciated the neighbors snowman, another neighbor shoveling the snow drifts away from the cars I have not appreciated my dry and creaky frame. I have not appreciated how cars bob and weave on the packed snow like little ships on choppy water. I did not appreciate chisling my car out of a foot of ice and snow.The stores are out of chains,and the city doesn't own enough snowplows.

Maybe the snow gods took every single valley childs wish of snow and dropped it here in one huge wish fulfilment episode without giving us a handbook to know how the rest of you all actually deal with the snow. If they were ever listening to me whine about the lack of snow on Christmas then they are about 30 years too late. and it's punching me right in the small of my back.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:20 AM   #1142
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

You in New England, sky? Or Washington state? Louisiana?

In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 10:26 AM   #1143
skysidhe

Out west! ooh I wish I lived in New England and what do you mean .NE gets lots of snow eh?

In my opinion Washington state is more rural that Oregon. Except for Seattle which in my opinion is the only hub of human existence I can think of gets more snow than we do. In fact the more north one goes the more snow. Don't ya think Everet Wa is just so quaint. If it weren't so blasted cold in Washington I might consider to move there one day but I ever go north I just might go all the way into Canada. ......nah

so off rant....

No I am located in the lull between warm weather and northern hemispheres where it rains 8 months out of the year....yada yada..

sorry, need more coffee.
Old 12-24-2008, 10:45 AM   #1144
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysidhe View Post
In my opinion Washington state is more rural that Oregon.
You haven't been to Boardman, eh?
Old 12-24-2008, 11:02 AM   #1145
skysidhe

yabut....On the Columbia gorge highway. Should be labeled an event to be on highway 84 so near someplace people actually travel to go see PLUS it is so close to Washington as not to be a good example on both accounts.

So what was so evil about Boardman then?

I say if you want to see hell in Oregon go to Garibaldi. If you want to feel as if primordial slime can rise from the fog and moss at any moment then go to Myrtle Point. There are some places on earth people should avoid at all costs. I don't believe Boardman can measure up there sir.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:08 AM   #1146
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Boardman's not evil, just rural... a blip in the middle of nowhere. The power plant, the railroad siding for loading locally grown veggies, and a circle K.

Oh, and the Navy bombing range... that the power plant driveway passes through.
Old 12-24-2008, 11:17 AM   #1147
skysidhe

ah the loyal Circle K. Not so bad then!

at least you could get a chili dog.

ah, your edit answered my unasked question. I was wondering which of those three fine establishments you were involved with...now I know.

Now it's really getting interesting.

'Driving through the power plant - avoiding bombs- eating chili dogs.'

I don't think you can get to that level of excitement with my examples.
Old 12-31-2008, 10:05 AM   #1148
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Irritating in a literal sense:

With Mum & Dad away, I get to keep the house at the temperature I like. About 15 degrees. However, I wake up later than they would - about 09.00 as opposed to about 07.00.

This means that instead of the warm house I usually get up to, it's damned chilly. So far, so acceptable. But in truth, Diz wakes up about the same time as my parents. He expects to find the bedroom door open so he can go and sleep on the storage heater (which is on a timer, unlike the central heatin). It's not open, so he comes back to snuggle with me.

So I keep waking up with a tickly nose, because he wants to sleep cheek to cheek. Add that to the chillier house, and I now have dry skin coating my nose. Damn. How am I supposed to save the planet and lower my parents' heating bill with a heat-seeking cat and a flaky nose!

[FTR I love to wake up with Diz in my arms - how he insinuates himself there is a mystery though]
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:21 AM   #1149
Estron
Recruit or Something

Mildly irritating? The "Check Engine" light on my 2001 Kia Sephia came on today.
Estron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 12:49 AM   #1150
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

That light is designed to make you go to your nearest dealer, pronto, and have it checked out. For a price. I suggest black electrical tape.[/conspiracytheorythatistrue]
Old 01-04-2009, 08:33 AM   #1151
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

I ran a fever all last night, my throat hurts and my voice is leaving me. I tried to get me detailed schedule for my classes, we have 3 fucking IDs/PW for our online site, and I can't get the ID for the one I need. I know I'm using the one that has worked in the past, no fucking luck. And the "Forgot Pin" link, does nothing. "Help" has no link to retrieve THAT ID and P/W, and when I look for another way to get to my schedule, thats a dud too b/c "Help" tells me to go to the "Calander" link, there is no fucking Calander link that is personalized. I just need to know what rooms my classes are in! Ugh, I just want to go back home and lie down.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:35 AM   #1152
morethanpretty
Thats "Miss Zipper Neck" to you.

Oh and my ID for the online toll-tag site isn't working either, I KNOW that one is right, I have it in my email.
Old 01-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #1153
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

They have finally banned you.
Old 01-05-2009, 01:07 PM   #1154
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Got called into work an hour early today, because of some kind of "Supervisors Meeting."

I am worried that they have found a way to outsource my job.

Of course this could just be an after-action meeting about a suicide attempt on the unit last week. When stuff like that happens, blame needs to be assigned and a knee jerk reaction that just makes everyone's job more difficult rather than improving safety put into policy.

One never knows. Emergency meetings are rare at the nuthouse, especially since Interdepartmental (that would be a meeting of all the supervisors) is on Wednesdays.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 01:20 PM   #1155
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Hmm. Good luck with Wolf. Hope all's ok.

What's mildly irritating me today is that I thought my student finance cheque was due in my bank today...turns out I was wrong it's due in next monday! I am £1.24 away from my overdraft limit!

Fortunately J got his student finance this week, so he's lending me a hundred squids.* Yey for good friends!

[eta] * hundred squids = hundred quid = £100
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mild cheddar