The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 01-07-2004, 08:23 PM   #16
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Well we have VERY strict knife laws as well. one can be fined for carrying a knife in your lunch box to eat lunch with, and to buy knifes from the store, you need to show your ID. Anyway id rather b stabbed in the arm then shot in the head.

Do you own a gun Syc? if so , why do you feel you need to own one?
Old 01-07-2004, 08:41 PM   #17
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That's all well and good, but a knife in the right spot will put you six feet under just as easily as a gun.

Tougher laws don't necessarily alleviate a problem. The "3 Strikes and You're Out" laws are an example of that here in the US, IMO.

And no, I don't own a gun. I don't feel a desire or need to own one. When it's my time to go, be it peacefully or in a hail of bullets, then it's my time to go.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 08:57 PM   #18
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

i guess. but personally i could easier pull a trigger then attack. its just so damn easy to shoot.. IMO.

yeah, when your numbers up, theres no fighting it, your numbers up.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:42 PM   #19
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Undertoad
SNIP IMO of course
Mine too.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 01-07-2004 at 11:44 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2004, 11:47 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz
Anyway id rather b stabbed in the arm then shot in the head.
I'd rather be shot in the arm than stabbed in the head.
Old 01-07-2004, 11:53 PM   #21
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I'd rather be shot in the arm than stabbed in the head.
if someone is going to shoot (bullett travelling at a zillion K and hour) you, do you think your arm will have enough time to react and cover your head?

If someone comes running at you (travelling at 10K an hour) with a knife, do you think your arm will have enough time to react and cover your head?
Old 01-07-2004, 11:59 PM   #22
Michael Roth
Minister of Lurking

I apologise for the pseudo-hijack, but boy the Boondock Saints was a lovely idea.
"You must be," said the Cat. "Or else you wouldn't have come here."

Michael Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 12:09 AM   #23
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by Sun_Sparkz

if someone is going to shoot (bullett travelling at a zillion K and hour) you, do you think your arm will have enough time to react and cover your head?

If someone comes running at you (travelling at 10K an hour) with a knife, do you think your arm will have enough time to react and cover your head?
No.

First off, that automatic guarding behavior ... putting your hands up to ward off, say a knife blow, ain't gonna do SHIT if the bullet leaves the barrel. Even with a relatively low velocity, light caliber round (like a 22 or 25), and assuming you get your hand up in time, you're not going to get really appreciable deflection, although I did know a guy that saved himself from getting a facefull of shotgun pellets by putting his gloved hand up in front of his face.

If an assailant, armed or unarmed, is within 21 feet of you, you don't have TIME to react.

They are on you like hair on a gorilla, and you're suddenly fighting for your life. Been there, done that. Happened at work, so I wasn't armed, wouldn't have had a chance to do anything if I were. OTOH, had the attack happened in the community, I wouldn't have intentionally been that close to a crazy guy.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2004, 05:02 PM   #24
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I think i was misunderstood. I know that your arm protecting you couldn't save you from harm from a bullett. not much could. this is what i was trying to say!! your arm couldnt save you from a bullett, but it MAY protect you somewhat from a knife.

therefore, IMO guns are worse than knives.. hence, my statement that id rather b stabbed in the arm , rather than shot in the head.
Old 01-08-2004, 05:31 PM   #25
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

What you meant and what you said are two different things. You have now added a whole script to the scenario. I responded to your statement.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:22 PM   #26
headsplice
Relaxed

Sparkz, you're choosing the lesser of two evils. Violence is violence; it provokes almost identical responses from victim and perpetrator whether the tool is a knife, a gun, or a plastic bag. The trick, as UT so excellenty pointed out, is to figure out why the fsck people are trying to hurt each other and deal with that issue, rather than the tangential problem of how they accomplish that.
A pro/anti-gun debate only distracts us from the real issue at hand: why can't we treat each other as human beings rather than as pieces of meat to be stabbed/shot/bludgenoned/eaten in order to get what we want?.
Old 01-15-2004, 05:53 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

That sounds good in theory, but I gotta get him before he gets me.