The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-03-2003, 10:51 AM   #1
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

boycott NPR!

I have decided to boycott National Public Radio, and all affiliate stations. Why? They have accepted monetary donations from the Office of National Drug Control Policy. I am outraged that NPR, to whom I have been a faithful listener for nigh on two years, would sink to accepting money from one of the most constitution rending agencies in our government. I am ashamed that my tax dollars make their way into this bloated experiment in social control, and I will not stand by while they're used to corrupt such a faithful reporter of current events as NPR. This will not stand. Join me in my boycott! It's painful to be without our 24 news coverage, but we have to take a stand!
greenian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:30 PM   #2
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Uh...... what's NPR?

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 04:42 PM   #3
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

there, I think I got rid of most of those repeat threads, sorry, didn't mean to spam. I was just so pissed off. Corporate sponsorship sucks yes. But a government agency? What the hell? I don't hear the EPA advertising giving money. I'd prefer to at least believe that NPR is impartial, this totally blows my comforting belief out of the water. I HATE those ONDCP guys.
Old 11-03-2003, 05:08 PM   #4
Archer
off target

NPR = National Public Radio

Think of your local public television station, and put it on the radio.

Politically they are left of center, but have decent to good reporting.

Check someplace low on your FM dial for the station. Mine is 90.9 FM for example.
Archer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 06:29 PM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
there, I think I got rid of most of those repeat threads,
Uh...yes you did. Including the one in Current Events that many had responded to. Doh.:p
Old 11-03-2003, 07:24 PM   #6
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Quote:
Originally posted by Archer
NPR = National Public Radio

Think of your local public television station, and put it on the radio.

Politically they are left of center, but have decent to good reporting.

Check someplace low on your FM dial for the station. Mine is 90.9 FM for example.
..and usually left of center on the dial....somewhere low in the fringes
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2003, 07:34 PM   #7
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

I guess we shouldn't tell Greenian about the Medicare blimp then, eh?

Out of curiosity, what is ONDCP sponsoring? A particular show? Or is it one of those "Support for NPR comes from..." deals?

If you've got the dough, you can sponsor something on NPR. Unless you're the KKK. Though that was a local issue--they weren't allowed to sponsor a show on St. Louis's main NPR station about 5 years back.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 12:24 AM   #8
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

No, don't tell me about the medicare blimp, I'm sure it'll just piss me off. And it was one of those "funding for NPR..." things.
I thought it was a worthy subject for a boycott over, but nobody has agreed with me yet today. I'm not deterred! Solidarity man!
*fist held up*
Old 11-04-2003, 12:28 AM   #9
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Since you deleted my other instance of this statement ...

Is it still a boycott if it's a product I don't use, and I just continue not to use it?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 09:04 AM   #10
russotto
Professor

Boycott NPR? What's the point?

Nobody listens to NPR anyway, so boycotting it is irrelevant.

OK, this isn't quite true. A few leftists listen to have their views confirmed by highbrow-sounding individuals who share their sense of superiority over the masses. And a number of conservatives listen to confirm their opinion that tax money is being spent to prop up liberal views.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 10:13 AM   #11
greenian
Simulated Simulacrum

really? tax money being used to prop up leftist views? I was under the impression that NPR is a non-profit corporation, recieving no government funds. in fact, the whole point of this thread was to express my outrage at the fact the a particular section of the govt. is now giving them money. You make it sounds as though NPR is some bastion of liberalism. They interviewed David Horowitz, they interviewed Bill o'reilly. What should they do to make sure they don't get called liberals? renounce everything leftist and pay homage to the gods of conservatism like every other broadcast media in America is doing? Why is it called liberal or lefty to faithfully report the news?
Old 11-04-2003, 10:27 AM   #12
Whit
Umm ... yeah.

If it doesn't back the rights views then it's an attack on the american spirit, soils the soul, defiles free will and causes tooth decay. You haven't figured that out yet?
      If you want "good" reporting then go to Fox news. If you want honest reporting then your an evil, commie, anarchist bastard. Don't you forget it either.
Old 11-04-2003, 10:30 AM   #13
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by greenian
really? tax money being used to prop up leftist views?
$380 million for FY 2004 (given during 2002). $390 million for FY 2005 (given this year). (Source: NPR)

So yes, NPR is partially funded by the government. Is NPR a bit to the left? Probably. Do they still provide solid news coverage? Absolutely.

NPR is not quite the left paradise that some make it out to be. I personally think it provides a good public service, and the amount of money it gets from the government is a drop in the bucket compared to some of the other bullshit spending.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2003, 04:33 PM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
compared to some of the other bullshit spending.
So you admit it *is* bullshit spending?
Old 11-04-2003, 05:07 PM   #15
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

$380 million for FY 2004 (given during 2002). $390 million for FY 2005 (given this year). (Source: NPR)

So yes, NPR is partially funded by the government. Is NPR a bit to the left? Probably.
I think they should just go cold turkey. According to their web site the amount government-funded grants they receive amounts to 2% of their budget. It'd be worth giving that up for them to thumb their noses at the people who complain about their government funding.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote