Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Creative Expression
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Creative Expression Post your own works and chat about them

Old 03-27-2007, 12:07 AM   #1
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

Creative Expression AWOL

Ever lost your mojo?

I must say I’m a little worried, when i look back on the art, and literature that i used to produce 12 months ago and previous to that, im astouded at the quiality i could produce back then. Lately I find it hard to get inspired, and when i am inspired i sit in front of a black (page/ screen/ canvas) and out comes... NOTHING.

It is possible to have your creativity blocked for this long or have i lost it forever.

Ive tried vitamins, early nights, late nights, going sober, getting wasted, nothing is helping. why have i become creatively vacant?

What i want to know is how my fellow cellarites out there GET INSPIRED

What makes you overflow with artistic ingenious? what kranks your keel and makes those creative juices flow?
Old 03-27-2007, 12:32 AM   #2
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

A trip to the bookstore, a good movie. Read a biography of somebody you admire. Write a story about something you hate writing about - sometimes that will unclog the drain so to speak. Sleep late one day and call in sick to work and go to the museum or the local college and take in a lecture.

Rent a kayak. Go on a hike. Get pissed off about an issue and write a letter to the editor. Write a story about a worm or a fly and make it worth reading.

Of all the things you tried, you left out the most important thing: some new stimulation - go find something new or rediscover something old. Your brain is stuck in a pattern and you need something to jar it loose.

Get a book on Japanese calligraphy. Try it but with English. And don't forget the incense.
Old 03-27-2007, 02:07 AM   #3
Ibby
erika

Music.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:27 PM   #4
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I sometimes go to a museum or library. Tonight I went to the ARC. I know that feeling, though. I go through that sometimes, too. And have had that problem for a year or more. You might locate the book called "The Artists Way". I started reading it this last weekend and I really enjoy it.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2007, 10:42 PM   #5
Scopulus Argentarius
Your current user title is:

Go somewhere, or do anything, that removes you from your normal focus.

You could go out of your comfort zone. Meet new people. Do something (mundane but different) you've not done before.. but Collect the details. Sleep on those memories. Then the next time you stare at a blank, reflect on your recent new experiences.

Good luck....

Last edited by Scopulus Argentarius; 03-27-2007 at 10:45 PM. Reason: bad grammer
Scopulus Argentarius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 09:56 AM   #6
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scopulus Argentarius View Post
Go somewhere, or do anything, that removes you from your normal focus.

You could go out of your comfort zone. Meet new people. Do something (mundane but different) you've not done before.. but Collect the details. Sleep on those memories. Then the next time you stare at a blank, reflect on your recent new experiences.

Good luck....
These are good suggestions. I would offer one change, though. Go somewhere, or do anything, that removes you from your normal distractions.

Getting away from the things that I habitually give my attention to permits me to devote my energy to the task at hand, rather than diffuse my energy among many small (or large) diversions. There are some times, and some situations where I can be juggling several different ideas/projects/thoughts at one time. When I am at work, for example, this is the normal state of affairs. When I need to focus my creative energies there, I have to take explicit steps to block other inputs I normally permit.

I turn off the email notification, I take the phone off the hook, I close the door, I turn on some music to mask the chatter bombarding me over the cube walls, you get the idea. This strategy has a big impact on my ability to direct that creative energy, literally to deliberately focus my energy on a given subject. By not spreading it across multiple subjects (even thinking about other topics), I'm able to increase my chances of making progress.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:05 PM   #7
Ibby
erika

BigV, for me, its the exact opposite. Maybe it's the ADD, but when I try to concentrate on one thing and one thing only, I can't concentrate on anything. If I turn on my music, flip on the TV, get my laptop and get on AIM, and get some food... I pay little attention to the distractions and happily concentrate on whatever it was I was s'posed to be doing. If I turn them all off... Then the couch, or the window, or that bird chirping outside, or the wood of the table will distract me too completely as I try to avoid concentrating on it - kind of a 'Quick! Don't think of alligators!" thing, you immediately think of alligators.
Old 03-28-2007, 05:48 PM   #8
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Ibram: Your experience will likely change. Here's a section from a parallel thread:

Quote:
The young, according to conventional wisdom, are the most adept multitaskers. Just look at teenagers and young workers in their 20s, e-mailing, instant messaging and listening to iPods at once.

Recently completed research at the Institute for the Future of the Mind at Oxford University suggests that the popular perception is open to question. A group of 18- to 21-year-olds and a group of 35- to 39-year-olds were given 90 seconds to translate images into numbers, using a simple code.

The younger group did 10 percent better when not interrupted. But when both groups were interrupted by a phone call, a cellphone short-text message or an instant message, the older group matched the younger group in speed and accuracy.

"The older people think more slowly, but they have a faster fluid intelligence, so they are better able to block out interruptions and choose what to focus on," said Martin Westwell, deputy director of the institute.
Old 03-28-2007, 07:48 PM   #9
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

At risk of jacking your thread... did I ever lose the mojo? Let's flashback to a year ago . . .
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
I learned it's time to hang up my gig bag. I no longer have the edge I need to play.
Quote:
It wasn't one off day, it was the culmination of a series of declining efforts, climaxing in the sloppiest performance I've given in about 15 years. When I keep practicing and it doesn't sound better, it's time to quit.
Quote:
But unless something drastic happens I'm not likely to change my mind. It's completely irrational to expect that I play at the same level as in the late 1980s (when I was a full-time music student) but I've now fallen so short of that peak that I can't deal with it.
Quote:
It might partially be motivation. It's likely a combination of a lot of things. It's like this: 3 years ago the orchestra I play in did a piece where I had a brutally difficult solo. I practiced it to death and then I played the hell out of it. This semester I had an equally difficult solo and I practiced it to death and I never did get it right. If it was an isolated incident I could (maybe) shrug it off but it's just another example of how I'm past my peak. I'd rather go out when I can still play.

Also, you're all very nice and encouraging, which I appreciate, don't get me wrong. But none of you have actually ever heard me play. For all you know I suck ass and I'd be doing the world a great favor if I set my horns on fire.
I'm still pretty unhappy with my playing, and considering it's a 45 minute drive each way to my orchestra rehearsal, I have a lot of incentive to quit. I haven't for mostly political reasons, and because the conductor programmed two of my favorite pieces of all time, including one that I literally thought I would never have a chance to play in my lifetime.

Anyway. In 20/20 hindsight, I believe this is the depression speaking. (Not motivated? Check. Blaming myself for things beyond my control? Check. Inability to enjoy things I used to like doing? Check.)

EDIT: I'm just explaining (maybe) me... not saying that's what's going on with you, Sun_Sparkz.

Last edited by SteveDallas; 03-28-2007 at 10:36 PM.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:22 PM   #10
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
...not saying that's what's going on with you, Sundae Girl.
Sun Sparkz, not SG...
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2007, 10:36 PM   #11
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

ARRRGHH. That'll teach me to post after spending the day in airline hell.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2007, 09:47 PM   #12
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

With me, it comes and goes.

When it's here, I tend to be a fairly prolific poet. When it's not, that's when I say, "Bugger it. I'm going to go out and play." I guess I learned a long time ago that either it's there or it's not, and obsessing about it wasn't going to help matters.

Sparkie ... Google thinks it found your mojo. But I dunno ... I don't think it's Mojo Jojo ...

There's a possibility it could be a Mojo bar from the Clif Bar folks, however ...

Still not sure how I can get either one to you ... I'm considering breaking out my suborbital trebuchet.
Old 04-08-2007, 03:25 AM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Rent a muse.
Old 04-21-2007, 03:50 AM   #14
Scazrelet

I've been there. I find its very useful to (look at/read/listen to/other) tons of really good (art/writing/music/other). Eventually I find myself itching to have my hand at it myself. I don't know if this works for anyone else, though.
Old 04-24-2007, 10:35 PM   #15
Sun_Sparkz
Has Body Temperature

I have been trying to immerse myself in these techniques, but even if i can visualise a good idea, or start something, it just wane's and cant complete it.

i feel very tired and cannot concentrate on much. maybe i need even more vitamins.