The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

View Poll Results: how often do you smoke marijuana?
I've never tried it 32 30.48%
I did it when I was younger, but don't anymore 31 29.52%
I smoke only in social settings or alone when I think I can get away with it 16 15.24%
I'm a weekend warrior 11 10.48%
I smoke on a daily basis 15 14.29%
Voters: 105. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-19-2004, 08:47 PM   #136
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
I'll check it out, thanks.
I feel almost cheated...
Old 02-19-2004, 11:12 PM   #137
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally posted by Troubleshooter

I feel almost cheated...
Don't be, I put it on your credit card.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:21 AM   #138
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Don't be, I put it on your credit card.
Ah, good.

That's a small price to pay to bring someone out of the darkness.
Old 02-20-2004, 08:47 AM   #139
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Burning books make's the darkness go away.
Old 02-20-2004, 09:40 AM   #140
novice
Ignorance is bliss and I'm orgasmic

So does light reading
novice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 09:54 AM   #141
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Burning books make's the darkness go away.
Oh yeah, you and the *insert preferred denomination here* Church...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:51 PM   #142
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

Quote:
And it's easy to avoid becoming what you hate. Keep high standards, morals and ethics and avoid compromise.

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you consider high standards, morals and ethics? The standards, morals and ethics of society as a whole, or your own private morals, ethics and standards, which may or may not agree with or be acceptable to society as a whole? And as to compromise, don't you think that we all need to compromise, at certain points, just to be able to get along in the world? Or did you really mean to say, "avoid lowering your standards"?

We now return you to the tangled skein which this thread has become...
Old 02-20-2004, 09:58 PM   #143
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally posted by Shattered Soul

Not to hijack the thread, but what do you consider high standards, morals and ethics? The standards, morals and ethics of society as a whole, or your own private morals, ethics and standards, which may or may not agree with or be acceptable to society as a whole? And as to compromise, don't you think that we all need to compromise, at certain points, just to be able to get along in the world? Or did you really mean to say, "avoid lowering your standards"?

We now return you to the tangled skein which this thread has become...
First you have to establish a set of standards/morals/ethics, that will seperate you from most people.

Compromise relates to after you have established your parameters and a willingness to stick to them.
Old 02-20-2004, 10:04 PM   #144
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not yet, good point soul.

Quote:
Oh yeah, you and the *insert preferred denomination here* Church.
Oh, don't make that mistake. no, no, no!
"It's OK folks, were culling the library to protect "the children" but we're not a religious group so there's nothing to fear from us. No sir, better go keep an eye on the churches while we do what's best for you, here."
Old 02-20-2004, 10:12 PM   #145
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

Quote:

First you have to establish a set of standards/morals/ethics, that will seperate you from most people.

Compromise relates to after you have established your parameters and a willingness to stick to them.

So why does one's standards/morals/ethics have to set one apart? I understand when it comes to things like educational standards being higher than the state standards. Creating a personal set of standards there is just common sense. But society does have standards, morals and ethics. They're called "laws," among other things. Some are stupid, like not allowing gays to get married, and some are smart, like forbidding unjustified murder. But some people, for instance, think it's ok to beat their children above and beyond what society deems acceptable (like some religious groups who have been brought to court for child abuse, and then justified it with bible verse)--according to their morals, beating the devil out of your child is acceptable. According to a player's morals, it's ok to cheat on their S.O. According to the ethics of Clinton, messing around with an intern is ok, because it wasn't REALLY sex.

All of the above ethics, morals and standards are illegal, yet the people who hold them believe themselves superior to those who do not agree, or take them to task for their individual morals, ethics, and standards. They're willing to stick to these beliefs and not compromise on them because they believe they're more right than everyone else.

You managed to appear to answer the first question while not actually imparting any information; the second answer implies that you did mean "no compromise" (by that, I mean that when you said "a willingness to stick to them" that you meant that the more willing you are to stick to them, the less willing you are to compromise. If a religious nut is willing to stick to the "morality" of "beating the devil out of" a misbehaving child, and will not compromise to the point that the child is beaten to death or the courts intervene, does that make the person better because they didn't compromise?)

Last edited by Shattered Soul; 02-20-2004 at 10:31 PM.
Shattered Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2004, 10:19 PM   #146
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
"It's OK folks, were culling the library to protect "the children" but we're not a religious group so there's nothing to fear from us. No sir, better go keep an eye on the churches while we do what's best for you, here."
Can you give me a for instance?
Old 02-20-2004, 10:42 PM   #147
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Not that you'd recognize. This happens on the local level when concerned parents/citizens decided to save everyone from themselves. No religious affiliation, "just friends of the library".
Old 02-20-2004, 10:51 PM   #148
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Not that you'd recognize. This happens on the local level when concerned parents/citizens decided to save everyone from themselves. No religious affiliation, "just friends of the library".
The people around here have too much difficulty keeping their religion on the inside for them to get away clean...

I believe it though.
Old 02-21-2004, 07:22 PM   #149
Shattered Soul
Shuttered and locked

Quote:
Bravo, bravo, applause, applause.

Yeah, what he said.
Old 02-21-2004, 08:26 PM   #150
mrnoodle
bent

You know how certain "brands" of pot come around every so often? They all have cute names like 'Bubblegum' or 'Alaskan Thunder Fuck (ATF)'. Everyone knows someone who can get it, but I could never find anyone who knew the original source.

I think people were making it all up. Did anyone ever smoke enough weed to be able to tell the difference? You know, like a wine connoisseur, but for pot.

Yes, it's a hijack, but it's related to the original.