The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 12-17-2007, 02:58 PM   #31
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
You mean Civil Rights Day? (only in New Hampshire)
No, I mean MLK day.
slang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:05 PM   #32
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

It's MLK Jr day. My mistake.
Old 12-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #33
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by slang View Post
There are some people that are very annoyed by anthing remotely Christian. That's fine. I can accept that. Why do we need to change the name of the holiday though?
I think the important question, with regard to schools, is are they really changing "Christmas Break" to "Winter Break" because they fear people being offended by, uh, the word "Christmas"? They seem to have pissed off a lot more people by changing it than they would have had they left it alone. At most, I figure they might be leaving off the religious holiday label so as not to obviously appear to give preferential treatment to any one group of people, which I feel they don't.

...and are they really changing it? I don't ever remember it being called anything other than "winter break", even all the way back to elementary school since the weeks off spanned well before Christmas all the way to several days past New Year's.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:10 PM   #34
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
Yeah. In the good old days, it used to be that Chrisians could just refuse to hire a non-Christian (and whites refuse to hire non-whites), and avoid the whole situation.
I understand that but I was not a part of that oppression. That makes me a victim of over reaching correction.

Who can I sue?
Old 12-17-2007, 03:21 PM   #35
glatt

Quote:
I understand that but I was not a part of that oppression. That makes me a victim of over reaching correction.

Who can I sue?
Can you sell your victim credits to a racist pig?
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 03:24 PM   #36
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

You sir, are a genius.

Why I didnt think of that, I don't have any idea.
Old 12-17-2007, 06:53 PM   #37
piercehawkeye45
Franklin Pierce

War on Christmas?

War on Chanukah?

Quote:
The altercation erupted when Adler and his friends said "Happy Chanukah" to a group yelling "Merry Christmas" on the Brooklyn-bound train.

The 20-year-old Askari said he tried to fight off the 10 attackers, giving Adler a chance to summon police by pulling an emergency brake
http://www.startribune.com/nation/12411086.html
piercehawkeye45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 07:19 PM   #38
monster
I hear them call the tide

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razzmatazz13 View Post
At Lowe's we have "Holiday Decorations" but "Christmas Trees" really...it's funny.

Especially since decorating a tree for a winter celebration predates christanity

I call it a christmas tree so people know what the hell I'm talking about. but it's no more to do with the birth of ickle baby jesus to me than the lights I put on my hous are. And I call those fairy lights like all good Brits. And I put a "fairy" on top of my tree, like most Brits.

They're just words. Anyone offended by them needs to get a life.

But that said, Winterval was good because it wasn't just about Christmas. When I lived in Birmingham (UK) it started in time to cover Eid, Diwali, Winter Solstice and Channuka too and it really did bring people together (nobody has heard of Kwanzaa there) Pretty much all of those holidays involve light in some way shape or form. And who doesn't need light in the middle of winter? If it had just been called Christmas, or Diwali, I doubt it would have offended many (except those who make taking offence a hobby), but those who don't celebrate that particular holiday might not have realized there would be anything going on for them to enjoy, or might have thought their joining the fun would be frowned upon by their religion.
Old 12-17-2007, 08:07 PM   #39
Kingswood
Draco dormiens nunquam titillandus

In Oz Christmas Day is traditionally the first day of the summer holidays. The exact occasions for the dates don't matter greatly when one closes the doors on December 24th and the business doesn't reopen until some time between January 2nd and the first week of February.

By the end of the week school will be out for the summer in all states.

I work to the end of the month (we don't close except for holidays) but have most of January off work for my summer break. Only ten days to go! Can't wait.
Old 12-17-2007, 09:11 PM   #40
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Isn't Merry Christmas the politically correct version of 'Oh Christ' or 'God damn'? Also perfectly normal greetings. Since we already use those expression all year, well, now they want to further 'save' the English language? Amazing that 'Happy Holidays' is profanity. When will it stop? When religious extremists also control the presidency?

Happy Holidays - and Oh Christ to those who are offended.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 09:51 PM   #41
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Quote:
According to Haynes, though, there is no war on Christmas. "I certainly wouldn't put it that way," he says. "The big picture is that there's more religion now in public schools than ever in modern history. There's no question about that. But it's not there in terms of the government imposing religion or sponsoring it, and that bothers some people on the right. They miss the good old days when public schools were semi-established Protestant schools."

The reason fights over Christmas iconography recur, says Haynes, is that "there are still some school administrators who are so afraid to deal with religion that they go too far in keeping it out, and it only takes a few bad stories in this era of the Internet for many conservative religious people across the country to think that public schools are hostile to their faith."
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2007, 11:18 PM   #42
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Isn't Merry Christmas the politically correct version of 'Oh Christ' or 'God damn'? Also perfectly normal greetings.
Do you really believe that God damn is a greeting?

I can God damn with the best of them but I don't ever remember greeting someone with it.

That might not be a bad idea at times but Jesus Christ, that's funny, a greeting?

I don't agree with much you say TW but you are surely great at articulating your points and are one of the funniest people here on the cellar.
Old 12-17-2007, 11:24 PM   #43
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsune View Post
...and are they really changing it? I don't ever remember it being called anything other than "winter break", even all the way back to elementary school since the weeks off spanned well before Christmas all the way to several days past New Year's.
In the 70s it was called Christmas vacation in rural Pa. We didn't have all that many days off before or after new year's day though.
Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 AM   #44
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Do you really believe that God damn is a greeting?
Well, god damn. How are you Slang?

Or when I hit my finger with the hammer and want to talk about it, then the first thing I say loudly is, "Jesus Christ! Anybody have a band aid?" First I get everyone's attention with a greeting. Then I ask a question.

And a Happy Kwanzaa to you too.

Where are those religious police? I just cannot get myself arrested no matter what I say?

Last edited by tw; 12-18-2007 at 12:08 AM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2007, 12:42 AM   #45
slang
St Petersburg, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
First I get everyone's attention with a greeting.
Greet:

1. to address with some form of salutation; welcome.
2. to meet or receive: to be greeted by cheering crowds; to greet a proposal with boos and hisses.
3. to manifest itself to: Music greeted his ear as he entered the salon.
–verb (used without object)
4. Obsolete. to give salutations on meeting.

If you say so, TW. Your post is still funny. You should be proud of being funny once in a while.