The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Nothingland
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Nothingland Something about nothing - game threads, diversions, time-wasters

Old 03-14-2014, 07:27 PM   #406
orthodoc
Not Suspicious, Merely Canadian

Gaah. That always happens. Sorry, monster.

I should say - in my experience, every time anyone in my family has been hit by a stupid driver, said driver has had no insurance. So our insurance sucked up the costs and then jacked our premiums sky-high.
Old 03-15-2014, 08:50 AM   #407
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Do you have uninsured / underinsured coverage on you policy?
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 10:00 AM   #408
glatt

Road trip to Georgia with a brick or two for his windows.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2014, 05:49 PM   #409
orthodoc

I was told today that, due to an administrative oversight/glitch, I cannot graduate with my MPH in May. I have done all the hours, all the courses, and have a 4.0 GPA - but a 1-credit course was not entered with the Registrar's Office in 2012. I can appeal, and I will, but the Registrar has already taken the position that if it's not in the transcript it didn't happen. WVU had a major scandal several years ago over the daughter of the biggest local contributor to WVU getting a degree without putting in the hours; there's little chance they'll do anything to correct things even though my case is very different.

I'm first in my class, but doing one more credit-hour in the summer semester to add on the hour I already did means I'll be graduating in August in a class of one. And there's no actual graduation.

It could also further fuck up my life if there's any delay in the university getting the transcript and letter of completion promptly to my College; if it misses the deadline I can't write my Boards for another year. The transcript will always look, too, as if I just couldn't finish my degree in the usual time. It was something I valued to know that I DID finish in the usual time.

First-world problems, I realize. And life is hard, then you die. I'm just venting.
Old 03-27-2014, 07:10 PM   #410
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Any way you can prove it was their mistake?
Old 03-27-2014, 08:29 PM   #411
orthodoc

It was my department's screw-up in the end - although the School of Public Health, which formed in 2012, has been in constant flux ever since, constantly changing the requirements and courses for the MPH degree. My residency coordinator is hard-working and stays on top of things, but she was bamboozled over time by the ever-changing requirements and backtracking re administrative issues, and she lost track of the 1-credit issue. I think the Dean would be sympathetic, but I'm not optimistic about his influence on the Registrar.
Old 03-27-2014, 09:54 PM   #412
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It seems wrong that its not just a simple fix when it seems like a simple oversight.
Old 03-27-2014, 10:13 PM   #413
orthodoc

I wish ... you're right, Ali. There's no 'bad guy' here, it's all explainable with no drama. If only common sense could prevail.
Old 03-28-2014, 06:55 AM   #414
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Sounds fucking lousy.

My bummer is that yesterday I dropped my iphone face down on the pavement - it bounced out of my coat pocket whilst i was running for a bus. Shattered like crazy paving.

Bugger. I've had this phone for 4 years.
www.ifixit.com

Quote:
The front panel of an iPhone 3G, not unlike the face of a newborn elk, is tranquil and glossy, and just as susceptible to the excessively sprightly fingers of wannabe zookeepers. Restore your 3G's glistening countenance again with our iPhone 3G front panel.
$9.95 that's like 2 British pounds, right? or have you adopted the metric money system?
Old 03-28-2014, 07:01 AM   #415
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by orthodoc View Post
I wish ... you're right, Ali. There's no 'bad guy' here, it's all explainable with no drama. If only common sense could prevail.
This is why god invented lawyers. You did the class, someone else dropped the ball = Not Your Problem.

Seriously, they don't want another lawsuit or scandal. Promise them you will take legal action if they don't fix this asap. Keep your promises.
Old 03-28-2014, 08:15 AM   #416
glatt

One time, a departing temp wrote a scathing letter about our department and copied the CEO of our firm. She had a couple points, but mostly lacked any understanding of how how things work. The amazing thing was that my boss, the head of the department, suddenly found herself having to explain everything and was put under intense scrutiny by the CEO. She was jumping through hoops for a couple of weeks.

If you make a big deal about this, make sure you have good documentation that you paid for the course, you have graded coursework showing you took the course, and maybe some sort of report card with a grade. Maybe you can get the residency coordinator to write a letter and the Dean too. Then attach all that documentation to a registered letter and send it to the Registrar and copy the fucking President of the University, demanding credit and a Spring graduation, and giving them a deadline to comply before you lawyer up. Explain in the letter the financial loss you will experience when it appears you didn't graduate on time.

You'll be burning some bridges, but fuck them. You earned this. They burned the bridges by screwing you over with their negligence, it's their problem.

Oh, and play the cancer card. The fact that you earned this while battling cancer makes it a big accomplishment. For some pencil pusher to deny you what you earned is completely unacceptable. Of course you should frame it by saying that they made an "honest mistake" and that because they are an honest organization, they will, of course, fix it.

Valedictorian cancer survivor getting screwed over by a pencil pusher is the kind of story that might even play well in the media.

I'm a coward by nature, but I would totally fight this one.
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 AM   #417
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Fuck YEAH Glatt's inner lawyer kicking ass!

totally WHS^^^
Old 03-28-2014, 09:53 AM   #418
glatt

She needs documentation though. Without it, she's got nothing.
Old 03-28-2014, 11:14 AM   #419
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Paper trail, paper trail, paper trail.
Old 03-28-2014, 04:33 PM   #420
Griff
still says videotape

Absolutely not your problem and there are bad guys here, anybody ducking responsibility and telling you no. Don't accept poor performance, lawyer up.

Tags
mozzarella