The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 08-26-2012, 12:00 PM   #1
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

August 26, 2012 - Underwater Sculpture

Quote:
Moilinere Bay is known for underwater sculptures, covering an area of 800sq metres. It is located two miles north of the capital St Georges on the west coast of the island. Park and the statues are created by Jason deCaires Taylor. The sculptures are sited in clear shallow waters to afford easy access by divers, snorkellers and those in glass-bottomed boats.
via Woondu
CaliforniaMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 12:38 PM   #2
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Imagine how spooky that would be if you weren't aware of the sculpture park, and just happened to swim up on this ring of 'people' chained together...

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 03:11 PM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Wasn't there a horror movie (and a sequel) where a guy did that with (formerly) live women?
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 04:07 PM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I have a lot of difficulty with stuff like this. I don't see it as art or sculpture or anything but weirdness you get paid/attention for. I know, I know - I'm a rube; but I know what I like and I DON'T like this. It's creepy for creepiness' sake.

Art should elevate. This is hoakum.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 07:14 PM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Would it help if you knew that this is a tribute/memorial for those very many slaves who were thrown overboard during the Atlantic passage, either because they had become sick, rations were short, or a storm was endangering the ship?
Old 08-26-2012, 08:18 PM   #6
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Would it help if you knew that this is a tribute/memorial for those very many slaves who were thrown overboard during the Atlantic passage, either because they had become sick, rations were short, or a storm was endangering the ship?
Factoid: The man who wrote "Amazing Grace" was involved in the slave trade before he repented.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

My son (13) walked by and said that he had seen the sculptures on National Geographic. He said they are made by some guy and sunk in the water to make reefs for the fishes. He described some other sculptures, a shark, a big fish, etc. He said the guy put holes in the sculptures so the fish and other sea creatures could crawl in and get comfy.

(I just got in and have not verified his information.)
Old 08-26-2012, 08:43 PM   #8
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Wow - powerful stuff!
Old 08-26-2012, 09:47 PM   #9
CaliforniaMama
I wonder . . .

Wow, this guy is prolific! Check out some of his other work.
Attached Images

Old 08-27-2012, 07:46 AM   #10
smillie
Romantic Necromancer

There was a period of time where transporting slaves was illegal and if caught the ship was confiscated and the captain and crew went to prison. A ship with no slaves on board was safe. So the slavers would chain all the slaves together and to an anchor so when they were they thought they were going to be boarded by the navy they would cut loose the anchor and all legal evidence when overboard. The ship would still be stinking of slaves but with no slaves aboard the slavers couldn't be prosecuted.
Old 08-27-2012, 07:52 AM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I am disappoint.

And disgust.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #12
Adak
Lecturer

Quote:
Originally Posted by smillie View Post
There was a period of time where transporting slaves was illegal and if caught the ship was confiscated and the captain and crew went to prison. A ship with no slaves on board was safe. So the slavers would chain all the slaves together and to an anchor so when they were they thought they were going to be boarded by the navy they would cut loose the anchor and all legal evidence when overboard. The ship would still be stinking of slaves but with no slaves aboard the slavers couldn't be prosecuted.
This is clearly a a drunken sailor's sea story.

Any captain would know that the chained together slaves would immediately sink beneath the surface, since the slaves were burdened by the considerable weight of their chains, wrist, and leg irons.

No captain would risk losing a very valuable anchor, when it wasn't needed.
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2012, 12:54 PM   #13
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

You're probably right about not wasting a valuable iron ship's anchor. But smillie said, "an anchor", which could have been nothing but a fishnet full of rocks, designated to sink jettisoned slaves. Come to think of it, those shackles and chains were pretty pricey too. They probably removed as many as they could and still insure the cargo could be jettisoned safely.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:09 PM   #14
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by richlevy View Post
Wasn't there a horror movie (and a sequel) where a guy did that with (formerly) live women?
Umm... cabin by the lake?