The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-27-2007, 11:54 AM   #16
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

From up here they look like ants.
Shawnee123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2007, 10:04 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

And uncles.
Old 11-27-2007, 10:41 PM   #18
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitjohn View Post
My office staff laughed at clouds comment about learning problem solving with a computer degree, because we had a newly graduated girl with a degree in computer science and she was bloody hopeless at using even our routine office computer. Her contribution to our brainstorming sessions about business ideas was that they wouldn't work..no matter what the idea. She is no longer with us.
It is completely understandable that cloud would think that China is a communist country. After all, every reference in US news is to "the communist government" or some such other reference to "communist". Friend, you have never seen a more capitalist economy than this one! There is free enterprise everywhere and the economic growth is phenomenal!
Standing in line? NOT in China! The culture here forbids standing in line. It's everyone to the front in every situation whether it's getting on a bus or waiting at a traffic light. Possible exception...to use the womens room at KFC. There is always a line there
It may not be a "communist country" but it is a "communist government".
Old 11-27-2007, 10:48 PM   #19
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Old 11-27-2007, 10:58 PM   #20
Razzmatazz13
Vicariously, I live...

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
And uncles.
Old 11-28-2007, 10:03 AM   #21
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
no understanding of problem solving? Surely some of those people got degrees in things like computer science or engineering. Isn't problem solving inherent in such disciplines?

What else do they study? I can't imagine their universities teach Western-style humanities, or even business.
I worked with a guy straight out of China who had very recently come out of college. He told me that there are 2 paths. Humanities or sciences. What I gathered was that if you are a Chinese science student, you don't learn anything about arts and humanities. Or vice versa. He also said the arts students are primarily female while the science students are mostly male. This is something he had to decide very early, like in the preteen years.

I know who we should ask...where are you, Billy?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 01:38 AM   #22
Billy
Professor

I heard the news. To be frank, it also really scared me. It makes me think how I can find a way to upgrade my career. More and more students graduate from colleges. However, the job market does not increase at the same rate as undergraduates. It is not so easy to get the ideal jobs for some students. They don’t know how to live so that they rely on the master or doctor programs and choose studying. If you ask them why you choose the post graduation studying, they probably say that I have no reason but want to get jobs easily after graduations.
Chinese government knows that we need higher education with the development and encourages the colleges and universities to recruit more students. The student surplus shows up. From the official data, about 1.2 million students did not get jobs in 6 months after graduation in 2006. In 2007 over 4.2 million students will come out schools. It was estimated that about 2 million students would not get jobs in several months. Now the new season of job fair is coming for 2008. It is really a problem.
On other hand, some young students were born with one-child policy after 1980’s. They had the better lives than the former generations. They don’t want to work in the countryside or places with poor conditions.
There are many reasons to explain the problem. No one can give a solution for it. The students will understand it well after are rejected for interviews. I think China should learn some from our neighbors, South Korea and Japan. They have the similar problems as us, but they run the business globally and create big job markets.
With high recruitment, the schools expand quickly in several years with limited resources. From my experiences, the education quality is falling gradually. They make us from the education flow lines with the similar textbooks and process. If they gave me one packaging box with a label MADE IN CHINA, I would be 100% Chinese commodity for export. :-)
The employers say that it is difficult to find the right potential people from the mountains and seas of students. It is one of the reasons that more and more foreign companies start to open the research centers or business in China. The employees are very cheap for them. The average salary of new graduates decreased in the recent years.
We divide into science and liberal arts for college admission test in high school. Students choose the courses based their result and interest. I don’t think that they know well about the majors of colleges before enter because the communication between students of high schools and colleges are quiet little. The society don’t provide them plenty materials. In the college it is very difficult to change majors after you enter. I found out that I did not like my major so much then and had to finish it.
There is no PERFECT THING in the world. If there is a problem, the new solution will come out. It takes some time or hurts. ONLY YOU can find your way to get out. I think China is on the way and working on it.

P.S.: I am also looking for a job chance in Europe now. Heehee
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 07:59 AM   #23
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

That's the longest post I've ever seen here in the cellar...
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:36 AM   #24
Billy
Professor

XOXO let me check the post. I have many thoughts to say about the topic. Spent a while to write it last night.
Billy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 08:57 AM   #25
morie
Mystical Miscreant

JOB POSTING

Employees wanted, citizens of China need not apply, dark skinned citizens of China preferred

Positions: Anarchists to topple the Chinese government

Salary: a bullet in the head, possibly, and the chance to know you did something idealistic for your country

Morie
www.anthology.page.tl
morie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 09:55 AM   #26
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr
That's the longest post I've ever seen here in the cellar...
Gotta expand your horizons beyond the IOTD! There's actually a maximum limit per post (that is easily four or five times as long as Billy's post, believe it or not,) and tw has on more than one occasion had to break his dissertations into three separate posts.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 10:37 AM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Thanks for the quick reply, Billy.
Old 11-29-2007, 04:27 PM   #28
kerosene
Touring the facilities

Thanks, Billy...I appreciate all of your insight on this subject. I was not sure if you would catch my call for ya, but I am glad you did! What kind of work do you want to do?
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2007, 04:29 PM   #29
Cloud

Billy--yes, we appreciate an "insiders" viewpoint. Don't take the silly stuff we say on here as meaning anything.
Old 11-29-2007, 10:23 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

He doesn't. He replied to my email right away but said he was at work and would put some time into it when he got home. He certainly did.