The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 05-07-2005, 10:05 AM   #1
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Post Living Will Day

A few weeks ago I went to Legaldocs printed out four living wills, one each for my wife and me, and another set for our friends. The recommended methods for putting them into effect are to have it notarized or to have two witnesses sign it who are not relatives or executors of the estate.

So tonight we are going over to their house to have dinner and witness each others wills. Fun.

Still it's a small price to pay for not being the next Terri Schaivo, or having my wife go into bankruptcy to keep my brain dead corpse alive for a decade.

At least I don't have to worry about some relative walking into a revival meeting and turning me into a cause célèbre. My sister and father are both in health care, and probably have a centered view of this kind of issue.

Making my feelings known beforehand is a way for me to let them know it's ok if things get bad and there is nothing left to bring back.

Watching my father-in-law die from Parkinson's and helping my wife through the funeral was also a chance to bring up these things.

BTW, I'm also on record as saying that funerals are for the living, so I've told my wife to be as cheap as she is comfortable with when it comes to mine. When the funeral director showed the book with $500(?)-$10,000 caskets in it to my wife for her father, I told her my opinion on that. We ended up getting a nice wooden one for around $3000. BTW, the cheapest casket is particle board and is designed for cremation.

One advantage to being Jewish is that by Jewish law or custom, you are limited to all wood caskets. They still can run around $3000. If I ever found out that my wife got suckered into paying $10,000 for my casket, I wouldn't wait for judgement day. I'd jump up just so I could strangle the ***ing funeral director that sold it to her.

FTC page on funeral law

Quote:
LEGALDOCS - Pennsylvania Living Will (Medical Authorization)ADVANCE HEALTH CARE
DIRECTIVE

INSTRUCTIONS: This form lets you give specific instructions about any aspect of
your health care. Choices are provided for you to express your wishes regarding
the provision, withholding, or withdrawal of treatment to keep you alive, as
well as the provision of pain relief. Space is provided for you to add to the
choices you have made or for you to write out any additional wishes. This form
also lets you express an intention to donate your bodily organs and tissues
following your death. Lastly, this form lets you designate a physician to have
primary responsibility for your health care.
After completing this form, sign and date the form at the end. The form must be
signed by two qualified witnesses or acknowledged before a notary public. Give a
copy of the signed and completed form to your physician, to any other health
care providers you may have, to any health care institution at which you are
receiving care, and to any health-care agents you have named.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:09 AM   #2
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Good job on the wills. BTW, the very cheapest way to go out (that I've found) is to donate your body to a medical school. When they are done with you they bear the cost of cremation and give the ashes back to the family. That's what I'm doing.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Good job on the wills. BTW, the very cheapest way to go out (that I've found) is to donate your body to a medical school. When they are done with you they bear the cost of cremation and give the ashes back to the family. That's what I'm doing.
You know I thought about that, sort of. I will be donating organs for transplant, which is no suprise, since it's on my PA driver's license. I'm also ok with research. I just don't want my whole body being poked at by medical students. There is also the fact that my family would not have the closure of a 'real' funeral until they get the remains back.

Quote:
(5) DONATION OF ORGANS AT DEATH - (OPTIONAL).
Upon my death: (mark applicable box)
[___] (a) I give any needed organs, tissues, or parts, OR
[___] (b) I give the following organs, tissues, or parts only.
[___] (c) My gift is for the following purposes: (strike any of the following
you do not want)
(1) Transplant
(2) Therapy
(3) Research
(4) Education
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama

Last edited by richlevy; 05-07-2005 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-07-2005, 10:19 AM   #4
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I guess that depends on what you mean by a real funeral. Do you mean the body has to be there for viewing? You can have a funeral with a box of ashes and a nice picture of the deceased next to it. Or even better! A slide show!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Last edited by Trilby; 05-07-2005 at 10:20 AM. Reason: misspelled funeral...d'oh!
Old 05-07-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

If you're Jewish enough to require the wooden box, shouldn't you also be Jewish enough to have to go into the ground with all your original equipment?

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2005, 11:11 AM   #6
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I don't know all that much about the Jewish burial custom...my boyfriend is a secular Jew. And we don't talk all that much about death/funerals!

—James Barrie

Old 05-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #7
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
If you're Jewish enough to require the wooden box, shouldn't you also be Jewish enough to have to go into the ground with all your original equipment?
Actually, I always thought that Conservative Judaism was very pragmatic. As far as I know, performing a mitzvah (good deed) by helping another far outweighs any other consideration. I'm also not very observant, or else I wouldn't be posting this on a Saturday.

As for the box of ashes, Brianna, you said they give the body back after they are done with it. I don't know how long it takes for a medical school to use and return a cadaver, but I would guess at least weeks. I just don't think my family could adjust to the idea of having a funeral while my body is being used at a medical school somewhere.

I'm not saying it's a bad idea. It's also a good deed. I just don't think it's something I could do.
Old 05-07-2005, 04:24 PM   #8
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Being the legal type that I am... make sure that your witnesses meet the definitions of a qualified witness under your state's law. Most states are pretty specific and have weird nuances that if not followed to the letter of the law, can make your document moot.

I think it is fantastic that you are doing this - wills need to be made and also updated. Regardless of where you live, if you make your own will, make sure you do it in accordance with your state's laws.
Old 05-07-2005, 11:52 PM   #9
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Why isn't there a checkbox marked "cuisine" on that list of options there, Rich?

My wife has been working for a tax lawyer who informed her on Friday that, amongst other cool legal perks, he will draw up our wills at no cost to us. We'll have advanced directives and such done at that time too, I imagine.
Old 05-08-2005, 12:25 PM   #10
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Why isn't there a checkbox marked "cuisine" on that list of options there, Rich?
Damn, that remings me of an old tabletop RPG that I used to play. There was a fast food joint called Tasty Ghoul, you can figure out the context.

An option on your driver's license was to donate your body to Tasty Ghoul.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:55 PM   #11
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troubleshooter
Damn, that remings me of an old tabletop RPG that I used to play. There was a fast food joint called Tasty Ghoul, you can figure out the context.

An option on your driver's license was to donate your body to Tasty Ghoul.
I played one game with Killer Clowns and food stands marked 'Hobo Dogs'.