The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Old 12-04-2007, 08:47 AM   #1
smurfalicious
Tool. Not the band - you are one.

Oh damn. You've touched on one thing that absolutely drives me crazy - interrupting.

My daughter's pretty good about it, only because from the time she started talking, I was up her ass about not interrupting, so I really don't have any advice on how to deal with kids per se... although, I loved Pie's idea about the speaking stick - especially the whacking part.

I have the interrupting problem with Papa Smurf, and that is where I'm struggling. Part of his problem is that he is SO Adult ADD - he can't have a brief conversation without involving 5 different topics - at a minimum - in 3 sentences. But it drives me NUTS that I'm not always the best at expressing myself, and when I finally decide I have something to say, goddamit, I wanna say it without interruption! (One of the lawyers I work for is the same way - albeit much worse - so I can't escape from it.) Papa Smurf knows he does this, knows it sets me off like nothing else, he tries not to, but he still ends up distracted within 7.8 seconds.

My rather childish resolution for the time being is to stomp off mad and refuse to talk to him for the remainder of the evening "since [he] won't listen". Maybe I could try the speaking stick with him. Only, I might get mad and shove it up his ass rather than whack him with it.

smurfalicious is offline   Reply With Quote