The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-24-2003, 10:24 AM   #16
Leus
Abecedarian

That's very nice of yours. To me, it's all about the taste
Leus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2003, 04:14 PM   #17
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I hate people. I really do.
That makes us even.

The problem with chickens in a roomy environment is they like to beat each other up. I met a man that made a fortune making plastic chicken coop window covers that filtered the light so the chickens could not see red. If a chickens see blood on another chicken, they'll peck it to death.
Old 06-24-2003, 04:28 PM   #18
dave

That's why most of these huge enclosures are dark. Chickens freak out in the light.
Old 06-25-2003, 01:01 AM   #19
gossard187
Caste-Away

the other option is to use only red light. then they don't know when their random pecking actually draws blood (which would then cause a problem). So since its all red all the time they act fine.

Though you'd think they'd go nuts eventually (if chickens are capable of that). Sorta like the Seinfeld with the Kenny Rogers Roasters sign across the street.
gossard187 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:10 AM   #20
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by xoxoxoBruce
That makes us even.

The problem with chickens in a roomy environment is they like to beat each other up. I met a man that made a fortune making plastic chicken coop window covers that filtered the light so the chickens could not see red. If a chickens see blood on another chicken, they'll peck it to death.
That's why they just cut their beaks off. It's fairly common practice. Like "stunning" cattle with stun guns or other assinine ways of killing them for food. The bottom line is the bottom line. Most businesses could care less if it's "nice", they just want to save a few pennies here and there. That's why shit like mad cow shows up. Because they want to safe a few bucks on feed, so they feed cows their intestines and shit mixed in their food. Then they wonder why Bad Things(TM) like mad cow happen to hit their animals.

People are just stupid. Shrug.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 05:29 AM   #21
dave

They don't actually cut their beaks off. Debeaking is a myth.
Old 06-25-2003, 10:24 AM   #22
russotto
Professor

Usually cattle are killed with a captive bolt mechanism. "Stun guns" are used for milking bulls, if you know what I mean.

Anyway, cattle are very tasty (especially a nice porterhouse), chickens are less tasty but still good if prepared correctly, and I'm not losing any sleep over eating either one.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:07 PM   #23
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
They don't actually cut their beaks off. Debeaking is a myth.
How come if I click on Quzah's search link, the second thing I get is a <B>video</B> of a debeaking? The other searches I've done show nothing but clear cut evidence that debeaking exists somewhere... Furthermore, I do a search on "debeaking myth" and don't find anyone else saying that debeaking is a myth.

Hmmm.
bmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #24
dave

The video is only true if you believe it to be.

I present to you further evidence of this phenomenon:

http://www.cellar.org/showthread.php...6520#post46520

(Read from that post to the end of the thread.)
Old 06-25-2003, 02:41 PM   #25
Yharr
Alphabetarian

We should teach our children, from a very early age to begin chasing down and killing chickens with their bare hands. Mom will gladly prepare it for the child once its dead, but the children need to understand where the food comes from.

Anyone wanna go cow huntin?
Yharr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 06:32 PM   #26
bmgb
Master of the Domain

Oh, I see you were just trying to get back at Quzah for not believing you have ten fingers. I read that thread before, but I didn't want to get into it.

I must say I still don't believe debeaking is a myth. But, for what it's worth, I believe you have ten fingers.

Quote:
Originally posted by dave
The video is only true if you believe it to be.
bmgb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2003, 09:03 PM   #27
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I raised cattle, pigs, sheep, chickens, turkeys, rabbits and horses.
Always took care of them. Cleaned, primped, showed, fed and cleaned up after them, every day. Always treated them like family. They were very nice. Nicer than people. Then I ate them, except the horses.
Old 06-26-2003, 12:27 AM   #28
bjlhct
Theremin Master

I don't think I could eat horse normally.

Chickens are stupid. Dumber than cows. And there were all the things the native americans said about the stupidity of the settler's livestock... They not only have to be debeaked, but de-stacked too. Yes, chickens will stack on top each other until the bottom ones die. I don't really feel bad about something as stupid as a chicken dying.
bjlhct is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 12:34 AM   #29
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally posted by bjlhct
I don't really feel bad about something as stupid as a chicken dying.
I especially don't when they are covered in a batter composed of secret ingredients and deep fried.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2003, 03:52 AM   #30
quzah
Knight of the Oval-Shaped Conference Table

Quote:
Originally posted by bjlhct
I don't think I could eat horse normally.

Chickens are stupid. Dumber than cows. And there were all the things the native americans said about the stupidity of the settler's livestock... They not only have to be debeaked, but de-stacked too. Yes, chickens will stack on top each other until the bottom ones die. I don't really feel bad about something as stupid as a chicken dying.
Good for you. Honestly, I don't feel bad when I hear about people dying from Mad Cow, Salmonella, Botulism, either. But then, to each his own I always say.

Quzah.
quzah is offline   Reply With Quote