The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 02-03-2006, 01:37 PM   #16
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe he sank the ferry.
Old 02-03-2006, 01:47 PM   #17
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Well, tw isn't the only one to think this. Interesting note on the 1993 attacks:The Power of Nightmares states that "Al Qaeda", as an organized group, did not exist until the US declared it so and that there was no central effort until the US government stated there was. For all purposes tangible and not, the US created the group everyone fears. I'm not sure if you're implying that the US permits the terrorist attacks to occur, but we sure as hell looked the other way when given all of the warning signs on 9/11. Al Qaeda did not bomb the WTC in 1993. We somehow credit them, now, for that attack and events before even that.

As far as the prophecy, there have been more than a handful of Bin Laden statements released that stated the US mainland was going to experience an attack. This has happened for years with no results, although Europe has continued to see such things. I'm not apt to buy the notion that we're going to be hit in a couple weeks.

But, yeah, I will say that the US needs Al Qaeda just as we needed the Soviets during the cold war. Even if bin Laden somehow does meet his end, we will continue to hype the terrorist group just as we did the Soviets when we knew they had fallen well behind. Without the threat, there are plenty of groups that don't get money, plenty of laws that won't get passed, weapons contracts that won't be signed, and the public might begin to turn their attention to better things besides being afraid. Like, actually questioning the government that is very busy on taking away many of our freedoms.

We don't really need the bin Laden figurehead, but it helps. Remember the DHS media frenzy? The VX gas? The possible bombs in the ports? The dirty bombs? Smallpox in the subways? Poisoning the great lakes and other water supplies with ricin? Packing Cessnas full of C4? Stolen crop dusters? Shoulder-mounted missiles near airports? The remote controlled planes that would spray anthrax across major cities? Hidden nukes in shipping containers? The predicted hack attack on corporations via the internet? Stolen UPS deliveryman uniforms? Hijacked, explosive ambulances and firetrucks? The alerts to cover a safe room in plastic sheeting and duct tape to suffocate--er, save yourself? The poison/exploding pens on CNN, for crying out loud?

Everyone bought it, everyone fell for it. No matter how ludicrous the published threat, the public ate it. Regular citizens bought gas masks, started carrying guns, and even purchased potassium iodine pills. From New York City to Nowhere, Nebraska, everyone was trembling, begging for any kind of government help. In return, a flood of your tax money went to fund organizations that tap your phones, monitor your e-mail, search residences without a warrant, detain anyone they want indefinately without any reason, and stage wars to get a US foothold in places we would never have dreamed of obtaining during the cold war threat. But don't question it -- you'll be aiding the invisible enemy or even hurting our troops! The best part of it all? Once set into motion, the administration didn't need to place much energy into it to keep the ball rolling. The public, on its own, managed to perpetuate the fear and manipulate it into the outlandish. How else did nearly 70% of the public believe Saddam was responsible for 9/11? Stating anything to the contrary, at the time, was simply unAmerican.

9/11 was honestly a dream come true to those that knew there was money to be made and power to gain. Nothing modifies governments, changes people, and brings in the cash like fear.

Your 24 hour news channels have displayed the national terror alert level color nearly once every minute for more than five years, now. The scrolling ticker at the bottom of your screen has not gone away since the morning of 9/11/2001.

Oh, yeah, you're not any safer today than you were on September, 10th, 2001 for all of the airport precautions that were put into effect and then just as quickly removed. What is the real reason, do you think, that the fear was hyped up? Do you think, maybe, that you've all been taken advantage of?
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 02:49 PM   #18
glatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Maybe he sank the ferry.
I'm pretty sure you are joking.

This is a high res picture of the ferry that sank. Apparently, it was a retired Italian ferry, purchased by the Egyptians for their ferry routes. When the Egyptians purchased it, they added 4 additional decks to the top of the thing to increase the number of passengers it holds. In the picture I linked to, you can see where the old bridge was, down low, and the new bridge way up on top. This certainly affected the stability of the vessel. The ship was more top heavy than before. It was also old, and probably had faulty door seals. The cars enter the ferry just abouve the water line. It wouldn't take very high seas to compromise the door seal.

Ferrys in third world countries scare me. Remember the one that sank because there was a fight or something on the top deck, and everyone rushed to one side of the ship to watch? The sudden shift in weight swamped the thing.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 03:15 PM   #19
jinx
Come on, cat.

It was the same design as the Estonia and the Hearald of Free Enterprise, which sunk due to that weird flip-up bow door somehow breaking and letting water into the car deck.
But then I was just reading that there is a new clue in the Estonia sinking...
Old 02-03-2006, 04:21 PM   #20
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

glatt, I don't see the bow door in that picture?
btw, the ship had a complete inspection last summer.
And there was a Canadian on board.
Old 02-03-2006, 04:23 PM   #21
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
And there was a Canadian on board.
please tell me it was dov
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2006, 04:28 PM   #22
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

No such luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 12:51 AM   #23
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
History as a predictor, then next week or within a few weeks later, an Al Qaeda attack should be attempted. This post only a reminder of what that bin Laden public statement warned. An attack was always attempted weeks after a bin Laden statement.
BTW, bin Laden is still alive. And thanks to George Jr, he still runs free.
I must wonder if this multiple vehicle attack on the world's biggest oil processing complex was an attack prophesized by bin Laden. Like so many attacks that were averted when leadership read their memos, this one is also little reported. Had it been successful, then consequences would have created a mini-worldwide oil shortage. It would be world wide, front page news. But in this case, the 'powers that be' did their job. So the attack gets little coverage. That was one ton of explosives.

From ABC News of 26 Feb 2006:
Quote:
Saudis: 2 Foiled Bombers on Terror List
The Saudi branch of al-Qaida, which claimed the attack, warned in an Internet statement Saturday that suicide bombers would again strike.

Witnesses on Friday reported that security forces traded fire with gunmen outside the facility after the explosions and that a hunt for attackers continued for hours. Saudi officials have not reported the capture of any assailants.

At least two attackers and two security guards were killed, the state news agency reported.
Security 'empowered by a leadership' that was responsible intercepted the bombers at least one mile away from critical facilities - which is what happens when security is 'empowered by responsible leadership'. Never forget the PDB that George Jr ignored when 11 Sept attacks were detected: “Bin Ladin Determined to Strike in US.” (When Rice finally conceded and read the title, there were numerous and loud gasps in the audience.)
Quote:
In the spring of 2001, the level of reporting on terrorist threats and planned attacks increased dramatically to its highest level since the millennium alert. ... Reflecting on these questions, the CIA decided to write a briefing article summarizing its understanding of this danger. Two CIA analysts involved in preparing this briefing article believed it represented an opportunity to communicate their view that the threat of a Bin Ladin attack in the United States remained both current and serious. The result was an article in the August 6 Presidential Daily Brief ... and the first devoted to the possibility of an attack in the United States.
Was this the attack that bin Laden predicted? It would have had severe consequences on America. And like an averted Nov 2001 attack that George Jr recently announced, this one also was averted by foreigners who did their job. Little people empowered to do their job are a greatest threat to terrorists. A specific reference to many FBI agents who were stopped from averting 11 September.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2006, 04:09 AM   #24
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

It was an obvious target for terrorists. I should think security would be high, 24/7.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:24 PM   #25
tw

Quote:
It was an obvious target for terrorists. I should think security would be high, 24/7.
We know this to be fact. Every target that was not successfully hit always gets attacked again later. Often by another, completely different, group (some other dandelion from some other lawn) who also claims to be Al Qaeda. More attacks will be attempted. As, as usual, when security is considered by top management, terrorism fails.

The USS Cole is a classic example of how to not even do security in a secure port. Yemen was not even considered secure. But top management made no effort to protect the Cole - as they also did not protect The Sullivans previously.

For example, LAX was targeted when Clinton read his PDB, empowered federal agents to do their job and stopped the bomb. An LAX attack will be attempted again. The Eiffel Tower was targeted. But religious extremists never learned how to fly. An attempt on it will be attempted. This trend based in history.

And none of it should result in the hype and fear so promoted to keep George Jr’s popularity higher. It is simply an international law enforcement problem performed in conjunction with international intelligence. It means top government leaders must read and understand their PDBs.
Old 02-27-2006, 09:25 PM   #26
Torrere
a real smartass

Hey, wait. Didn't bin Laden offer a truce back in January?

Apparently Cheney rejected it, calling it a ploy.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2006, 12:25 AM   #27
Cerdded
Layperson

Jesus! T W,you must feel a hell of a lot better with that lot off your chest. Or is this the norm for you?
Where do you get all the info. on Bin Laden? A source in the Administration?
I'll get back to reading now.
Johnny
Old 03-03-2006, 07:43 PM   #28
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Or is this the norm for you?
Yes.
Old 03-03-2006, 10:03 PM   #29
tw

The futures market is about unloading some risk on others so that catastrophic events will not create bankruptcy. Some years ago, a market for terrorism had been discussed as a way to minimize the economic damage as well as a predictor of threats. Well, it never happened like so many other financial instruments that never got beyond a 'thesis' stage.

However American Science and Engineering is a company selling security equipment. In previous times, their stock has risen in response to perceived threat. If bin Laden's prophesy was that unsuccessful bombing in Saudi Arabia, then ASEI stock should return to normal. However the chart says something different:
Attached Images

Old 03-03-2006, 10:11 PM   #30
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Well done, TW, kudos. Brief, concise, informative and to the point.
Did they get a big government contract, or something similar, that would ensure long term profits, or just the security market is fat?