The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 06-27-2004, 08:57 AM   #16
jaguar
whig

Now people will just look at registration dates. While I see the point it still seems not overall very constrctive.
ah fuckit I think i'll follow dagney and become more of a lurker.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:03 AM   #17
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You can still see the number of posts in the profile.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #18
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I just want to say 'LOL! Me Too!'
Old 06-27-2004, 12:22 PM   #19
blue
Operations Operative

Who gives a shit really?

Now where are the forks pictures?! Anybody do something they regret? I went to my nephews boring grad party, but holy crap did things get out of hand....was happily talking with the old folks 'til the young girls showed up with the wop.

Glad I don't do that every weekend.
Old 06-27-2004, 01:54 PM   #20
marichiko

Sometimes brevity is the soul of wit. A one sentence reply or even one word or even a single emoiticon can convey more than a 1,000 words of drivel. I never cared much one way or the other for my post count, so its all the same to me (does this mean we get to have the word association thread back, now? )
Old 06-27-2004, 03:06 PM   #21
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

HB, you are still one of the greatest posters ever. These newer folks only wish they could create posts like you...hell, I wish I could create posts like you.

You still owe me dinner, btw.

I dig what you're saying as a whole. I think that the quality has definitely gone downhill since late last year. And I freely admit that I spend too much time on here posting...though not to boost my post count.

(UT has mentioned boosting post count as a possible issue twice now in the past month. I don't know why anyone would do that. The fact that I am #1 in total posts just means that I like to babble a lot, though all my posts are incredibly sexy...owww!)

I remember a couple of years ago that one Dwellar in particular was lamenting about the good ol' days, and she seemed to enjoy directing her ire at jag and I. *shrugs* Whatever...the Cellar has been around for 14 years now. How could it not change?

And it will probably continue to change. Who ever thought we'd get an influx of liberals in here? I sure as hell didn't...jag and I have been the token liberals forever.

Bottom line...if you want the "good ol' days" back, then work to make it more like that. This past week had some of the best political discussion we've had in a long time. We definitely need more good thoughtful discussion to raise the collective IQ around here.

Having said that, I think that some of the newer peeps, though they are rather chatty, have brought a lot of good things to the table...even Jim. And I don't think there's anything wrong with being silly here and there.

Jag, as far your comment about the Bosque...I wouldn't mind more folks hanging out, and I'm open to changes, but I'm rather pleased with its current direction. I'm not trying to compete against Cellar.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 08:23 PM   #22
wolf
lobber of scimitars

HB, my man, you have more than a few excellent points there ... I don't, though think that anybody really relies on how long they've been here, or how many posts they have as a real measure of anything ... it's been amusing as a "lack o' life meter" to see folks total number of posts and/or daily post ratios, but it doesn't mean a damn thing.

Yes, there are some days and some threads for which the content level just really wanes ... but you spend too much time being serious and something's going to go *snap*.

The Cellar is one of those things that for some helps keep that day "somewhere out in the future."

:shrug: Sometimes it's just your turn to be silly.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 10:43 PM   #23
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Re: Less is More

Quote:
Originally posted by Hubris Boy

We're buried to our navels in drivel that looks like it was cut-and-pasted from the AOL "Tourettes Syndrome Singles #7432" chatroom.
Damn.

Now everyone will know where I'm from...........

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2004, 11:54 PM   #24
Hubris Boy
Keymaster of Gozer

Quote:
Originally posted by marichiko

<snip>
You're also perfectly welcome to surf off somewhere else to find nobler boards with better spelling and grandma.

</snip>
Well, I suppose I could do that. But then I wouldn't be Hubris Boy. I'd be... mmmm... something unspeakable. Like Nic Name. Or something like that.

So no, I won't be going anywhere. I prefer to stand on the wall- and try to keep the barbarians from destroying the city.

Quote:
Originally posted by sycamore

<snip>
Having said that, I think that some of the newer peeps, though they are rather chatty, have brought a lot of good things to the table...even Jim.

</snip>
No doubt that's true, Syc. One of the best things about the Cellar is that there's room at the table for everyone.

But after they've been seated, I'd appreciate it if they'd refrain from pissing in the fingerbowls.
Hubris Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 08:57 AM   #25
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

this thread sucks

you, hb, do not have the right to dictate how people should post, what they should post, how often they should post. you DO have the right to read as much or as little of what is posted as you like.

talking down to anyone who cares to respond to this trap of a thread is lame. it's hubris, in fact.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 09:26 AM   #26
jaguar
whig

He has as much right as you to express his opinions and I know I'm not alone in saying he's dead on. You haven't been here long enough to know the difference between the quality of postings. Most of the people who could really nail and point to the wall have left, I'm yet to see a thread here recently that doesn't dissolve quickly into random crap. I don't blame anyone specific but it's a simple fact. God knows I've done it enough myself, I'm posted some right crap on here on times, particularly back, as HB so kindly put it in .9beta but it has got worse and the signal/noise ratio is nothing like it was. Sheer numbers or quality? I'm not quite sure, I think a combination of the above.

That said, some of the new people have contributed a lot as well, *shrugs*, there isn't a solution, every online community over a certain size suffers this.
Old 06-28-2004, 09:41 AM   #27
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

I suggest a Test Debate. This involves someone setting up a debate on an Important Topic and seeing how people respond. Those that contribute something worthwhile get to stay, the others have to leave. That would be really funny. Heh heh. ASL. LOL. Etc.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:18 AM   #28
Beestie
-◊|≡·∙■·∙≡|◊-

I don't get it. All the "giants" leave then one comes back to bitch about the condition of the place. Well, if the Cellar was indeed Raphael's School of Athens
then why did all the "giants" take off and where did they go?

Each of us regulars (non-Giants) decide on a daily or so basis (on average) to stay and make the most of our Cellar experience. We don't leave when we get chastised nor do we treat people like shit then run away squeeling the first time someone bloodies our nose. We stay and we work it out. You and the rest of the Giants need to come to grips with the reality that maintaining the integrity of this place requires work - sometimes even hard work. Some of the people who you are indirectly critical of have done one hell of a lot to make this place fun, interesting and, above all, worthwhile. Why don't you check out the compliment thread and other threads and see who's getting shout outs over a long period of time.

But, I realize that its easier to just shut down, mourn for the glory days and complain about they way things are.

If you want to take the easy way out and abandon ship then don't complain about how the ship is run. You want to stay and slug it out with those who are pissing on the temple then I'll have a lot more respect for your complaint.

Internet forums are temporal venues - a poster is only as good as his/her last post. Same applies to the forum itself. If you think the Cellar is heading off in the wrong direction then do your part to reverse the brain drain you perceive.

Do **I** think the Cellar could be better? Sure. I just think the Cellar is best off when good posts and good posters drown out the poor posts and poor posters - self policing at its finest. So put the gloves back on and get with it.
Old 06-28-2004, 11:30 AM   #29
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Sometimes, Beestie, I really love you.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2004, 11:32 AM   #30
lookout123
changed his status to single

huh huh huh. hb doesn't like that not all posts are thought provoking. huh huh