The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 10-11-2012, 07:21 PM   #46
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Okay, today's food is not mouth-watering, but it's different.

The first picture is brown rice eaten with salted sesame. Hulled sesame seeds are toasted, crushed, then mixed with salt.

The second picture is Vietnamese loofah stir-fry. It’s a type of squash, I think. I googled the Vietnamese name and that’s what I came up with. I ate plain Vietnamese loofah stir-fry; however, people usually stir-fry loofah with meat or shrimp.

The third picture is Vietnamese loofah. If you let the fruit over mature before before plucking it or simply let it dry out, you can cut it into the loofah bath sponges.
Attached Images

Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2012, 08:29 PM   #47
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

The first picture is fish paste. Fish is made into a paste with seasonings. You can cook into in soups or fried like in the picture.

The second picture is “bun rieu.” There are lots of variation to the dish so y’all can google it if you’re interested. The jar on the right is shrimp paste, which is added to the dish. Normally I also add chili sauce but I ran out. It’s like the one in the third picture except I eat the one without garlic.
Attached Images

Old 10-14-2012, 12:51 AM   #48
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

yummmmmy !!
Old 10-14-2012, 07:50 PM   #49
glatt

that really does look delicious
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2012, 08:29 PM   #50
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

If you think the food looks good, you ought to see the cook.
Old 10-16-2012, 07:55 PM   #51
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Lola, have you quit eating? I haven't seen any food posts in 2 days I'm getting hungry.
Old 10-17-2012, 09:49 AM   #52
Big Sarge

I'm afraid Lola has starved to death.......
Old 10-17-2012, 02:03 PM   #53
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
If you think the food looks good, you ought to see the cook.
Well, she's a pudgy, middle-age woman and not me. I'm too lazy to cook and whenever I do, I usually cook dishes with recipes where I can follow along. Not sure what it's called in English, but there's this practice where you can pay someone, restaurant, etc. to cook for you. Each morning I pick up lunch and dinner. I pay them monthly so I don't have to cook. This way, I get to eat food that's more complicated or time-consuming to cook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
Lola, have you quit eating? I haven't seen any food posts in 2 days I'm getting hungry.
Well, I've decided to post only Vietnamse food. I've been eating non-Vietnamese food the last couple of days. Well, on Sunday, I did but the presentation wasn't great since I didn't get a chance to sit down and eat til late in the evening. I was about all day and snacked on food samples on Costco. You know that you can get really full eating samples? Wow, I had everything from soup, appetizers, main dish, desserts, chips, and drinks. Yesterday, I had chicken fajitas all day. This morning, I had peanut butter and jelly sandwich. Almost lunchtime, I'm gonna check the kitchen to see what to eat. Oh wait, there's fried spam.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:39 PM   #54
Big Sarge

fried spam? that's about the only way i will eat it
Old 10-19-2012, 09:33 AM   #55
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Now I know that Big Sarge is following this thread , I'm gonna post more diligently....LOL. I am pressed for time today and the whole doggone weekend, (parties all back to back where I have to throw them and not just come, eat, drink and leave the mess behind), I'm going to only list out the foods I ate yesterday. Will explain about the food more later.

Steam gai lan, fish, pastries.
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 09:36 AM   #56
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

boiled peanuts, baby bananas -- it rang up as Dominican banana
Attached Images

Old 10-19-2012, 07:04 PM   #57
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

Had these for lunch/dinner. Been baking cookies all day, so tired. Finally had a chance to eat in the late afternoon. I ate chicken something, couldn't quite understand what the lady called it. Later, I ate some longan.
Attached Images

Old 10-21-2012, 07:42 PM   #58
busterb
NSABFD

Hey Bunny. You cook rau muống, Kangkong? I started eating it in Indonesia. Can't get it around here
Old 10-21-2012, 08:28 PM   #59
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

We normally just boil or sautee them. I heard they're very easy to grow. You think you'll be interested in growing them? I can ask around to see if it's possible for me to send you some to grow.
Old 10-23-2012, 01:44 PM   #60
busterb
NSABFD

Water spinach is an Invasive Species, by USDA. Could probable find some wild, if I was able to stomp around in the swamps.