The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 06-29-2008, 10:26 AM   #1
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Thread-start limtation

I know this has been discussed recently, but I can't recall where, so forgive me if I tread on well-worn paths.

I wonder if it might not be a good idea to reinstate the limitation on thread-starting by new members. I realise the mods do a fab job of stopping most of the trolls and spammers, but I still think it'd be a good idea to have newbies 'prove' themselves to a degree by posting in existing threads. Is it possible to make it so that someone has to have posted a number of times? Though that might lead to padding posts....

The 'Hi I'm New' type threads are fine, it's nice when people introduce themselves, but I always feel slightly taken aback when a name I've never seen before suddenly starts a discussion. I dunno, it feels kind of cheeky....maybe I'm getting territorial in my old age :p

Just a thought, not majorly important.....probably didn't deserve its own thread actually......
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2008, 11:01 AM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The posts, including thread starts, are moderated for new members. If you see a new member starting a thread, someone has read and approved it.... ie, deemed it, and them, harmless.

I'd rather give them the benefit of the doubt, unless it's obviously spam, rather than kill a potentially good member because their post isn't polished. It's not cut and dried. I've agonized at length over some new registrants, looking for some clue on other forums, as to their intentions. I'm never quite sure if that ugly oyster contains a pearl.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 AM   #3
lookout123
changed his status to single

plus it would make life difficult for someone interested in using a sock puppet to stir up crapola. i say let's go completely unmoderated.

totally kidding of course. are my posts going to be moderated now?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:08 PM   #4
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Oh Yer WAY on report !!!
Old 06-29-2008, 07:54 PM   #5
Cloud

did we change the policy? I thought no new threads until after 4 posts or something, to cut down on spammers.

I agree with this, but after that--let the newbies be cheeky if they want, geez. They might have something new and interesting to contribute. You guys are all so insular.
Old 06-29-2008, 08:22 PM   #6
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

You've been assimilated now Cloud. You are us.
That would make you insular too
Old 06-29-2008, 08:26 PM   #7
Cloud

yeah, I know. I Iz U.

freaky.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:14 AM   #8
nmckenzie02
Dry Nurse

hi, my name is. i read iotd almost daily and follow some of y'alls posts. many times i hesitate to post a reply because i don't want to be accidentally cheeky and offend those on your territory no sock puppets, no crapola, just a late 20-something's intention on making sense of the possibilities in cybermindworldconsciousnesssustainablechaosharmonic. i like music and food because they are a part of every celebration. i don't feel like i should open up too quickly. i hear the internet can be a real relationship mind fuck sometimes and i don't 'talk shit' well. however, i am tempted to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. my ego eats the red pill, my ego eats the red pill, my ego eats.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:20 AM   #9
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmckenzie02 View Post
hi, my name is. i read iotd almost daily and follow some of y'alls posts. many times i hesitate to post a reply because i don't want to be accidentally cheeky and offend those on your territory no sock puppets, no crapola, just a late 20-something's intention on making sense of the possibilities in cybermindworldconsciousnesssustainablechaosharmonic. i like music and food because they are a part of every celebration. i don't feel like i should open up too quickly. i hear the internet can be a real relationship mind fuck sometimes and i don't 'talk shit' well. however, i am tempted to see how deep the rabbit hole goes. my ego eats the red pill, my ego eats the red pill, my ego eats.
See, I keep telling you people you're scaring the lurkers away!
Old 06-30-2008, 01:22 AM   #10
Cloud

(nods)
Old 06-30-2008, 04:12 AM   #11
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Hey Nathan, good to hear from you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmckenzie02 View Post
i don't feel like i should open up too quickly.
Take it slowly, we don't mind. Nine posts in two years is a reasonable rate
Old 06-30-2008, 05:17 AM   #12
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

Red pill? What do you mean ego eats a red pill?
Big Sarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 05:51 AM   #13
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
did we change the policy? I thought no new threads until after 4 posts or something, to cut down on spammers.
Yeah, now we have moderators (who do keep us spam-free it has to be said), so we don't have the old post limit anymore.

Truth be told when I posted this thread I was in a bad mood lol. The vast majority of newcomers are lovely and I am rarely anything but happy to see them post and start threads. Ity's just that every so often a newcomer blasts in here with a 'controversial' point in the form of a new thread and it's the first time any of us have any contact with them.

LIke I say, I was in a bad mood. I don't really have a strong desire to curb newcomers. I was just pissed off :P
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2008, 08:59 AM   #14
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ity's just that every so often a newcomer blasts in here with a 'controversial' point in the form of a new thread and it's the first time any of us have any contact with them.
Be that as it may, HERE, it's the moderators job to keep out spammers, NOT censor anybody, even new posters.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:04 AM   #15
Flint
Snowflake

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Ity's just that every so often a newcomer blasts in here with a 'controversial' point in the form of a new thread and it's the first time any of us have any contact with them.
Like this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flint
Right away let me say how angry I am that there are too many sub-catagorized boards, too many complicated features, and the smileys and clever quotes make me projectile vomit.
expression. ... I found, like Joseph Campbell said, if you just follow whatever
gives you a little joy or excitement or awe, then you're on the right track.

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . Terry Bozzio
Flint is offline   Reply With Quote