The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 03-26-2004, 02:18 AM   #1
smoothmoniker
to live and die in LA

Inside the Music Industry

So, inspired by Lumberjim's tell-all expose of the car buying world’s seedy underbelly, I thought I might try something similar.

I work in the music industry. In the actually trenches fo the industry: touring as keyboardist for headlining artists, programming and producing records, writing songs, and doing studio sessions. I’m not the guy you see on MTV (at least not in the videos – a few live concert clips), but I’m the guy who worked for 9 months to get that guy’s record done. The music industry seems to be one of those things surrounded by factoids but about which little is actually known. Like how much it actually costs to record an album. Or why it takes so long for the artist to recoup their advance and start making money. Or what “triple-scale” means, and how many guys really are.

So hit me. Ask away. I’ll answer as candidly as I can. Or don’t ask, and I’ll slink quietly into the background. This scotch is tasty and typing takes time away from sipping.

-sm
smoothmoniker is offline   Reply With Quote