The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 03-03-2019, 12:35 PM   #61
Glinda
Fucktard Resistance League

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
Oh yeah, that would be a pain in the ass. I don't have that problem, the glass plate is 18" in diameter and has a lip to stop anything that does boil over. I only have spatters on the walls/ceiling/door from not covering stuff I reheat.
Paper towels and paper plates are your friends.
Glinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 12:39 PM   #62
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Mine just has a tiny little three-petaled--thing--that the big ol' plate kinda sets on, no wheels.
Now that I'm looking at modern microwaves more closely, I see that fewer and fewer models have the spinning tripod mechanism that the old man's microwave had. Probably because they're a goddamned PITA to clean.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:42 PM   #63
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

I forget once so after that why bother I got to clean it now anyway.
Then I'm putting something in when suddenly I have to pee NOW.
So it's either forget the covering or have to start it and wait when I get back.
The one thing I excel at is thinking up excuses for my sloth.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:45 PM   #64
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
I forget once so after that why bother I got to clean it now anyway.
Then I'm putting something in when suddenly I have to pee NOW.
So it's either forget the covering or have to start it and wait when I get back.
The one thing I excel at is thinking up excuses for my sloth.
Yeah. I'm pretty good at that, too. It's why I have a compromised 50-year-old microwave that I really don't want to get rid of.
Old 03-03-2019, 12:55 PM   #65
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Buy a leash. Put the leash on the cat and tie the end to the microwave cord at the plug. If the microwave starts spontaneously, it'll scare the cat which will take off running and yank the plug out of the outlet. Reward the cat with a go at the garbage can.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 01:01 PM   #66
Glinda

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
Buy a leash. Put the leash on the cat and tie the end to the microwave cord at the plug. If the microwave starts spontaneously, it'll scare the cat which will take off running and yank the plug out of the outlet. Reward the cat with a go at the garbage can.
I like it!
Old 03-03-2019, 01:24 PM   #67
Glinda

So I'm searching around the intarweebs for the off-chance possibility that there is a modern microwave oven that doesn't require turning food over repeatedly while defrosting, and came across this:

Since when is it ok to use aluminum foil in a microwave?!?
Old 03-03-2019, 02:00 PM   #68
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gravdigr View Post
Word.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:13 PM   #69
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glinda View Post
… Since when is it ok to use aluminum foil in a microwave?!?
The aluminum foil is applied right after the defrost cycle ends. Then comes the standing time in foil.

How does one get a -10 min.'lb. [10 min./lb.] standing time? Looks like they could've used a proofreader.
Old 03-03-2019, 02:39 PM   #70
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The way to defrost in a microwave is at low power, I been told.

What happens is, the first little SPOT of food that defrosts now contains water, instead of ice. Microwaves work by heating water, but they don't work so well on ice; so they are now super-heating that one spot of water. Result in burger meat, one area is entirely cooked, while the rest is frozen solid. People think it's hotspots in their oven, but it's just how this works.

Answer, go low power; that way when one section melts and heats up, it gets a chance to spread that heat out more. Turn the food over (or stir) so that the hot spots get to spread heat to different places.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 04:26 PM   #71
Glinda

My research reveals that there are a few microwaves that will allow you to defrost food by weight or by a selected time. Unfortunately, they're all pretty small and don't have the best reviews.

I think I've settled on the Panasonic Microwave Oven NN-SN936B Black Countertop with Inverter Technology and Genius Sensor, 2.2 Cu. Ft, 1250W. It has a ton of outstanding reviews and I can get it $30 cheaper from Office Depot. DEAL!

It has a turntable (on a stupid wheelie tripod thing like the old man had), but since I'm not an old man with palsy, I predict it won't get that dirty and I won't have to clean it nearly as often.

It's also got a turbo defrost option (faster and more even thawing) and will defrost foods of one to two pounds without having to fiddle with it.

Happy dance!
Old 03-03-2019, 04:46 PM   #72
sexobon

The description says it has a 16-1/2" turntable. Mine has a 16" turntable and it extends 3-1/4" beyond the tripod. You shouldn't have any problems with the tripod staying clean unless you have a catastrophic disaster in there.
Old 03-03-2019, 05:03 PM   #73
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

On a dying planet is it wrong to throw away a microwave because it's just been abused so long that you can't tell if it's clean?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:51 PM   #74
Gravdigr
The Un-Tuckian

Quote:
Inverter technology
Stop making me learn stuff!

These statements have not been evaluated by the FDA, EPA, FBI, DEA, CDC, or FDIC. These statements are not intended to diagnose, cause, treat, cure, or prevent any disease. If you feel you have been harmed/offended by, or, disagree with any of the above statements or images, please feel free to fuck right off.
Gravdigr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2019, 05:58 PM   #75
sexobon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
On a dying planet is it wrong to throw away a microwave because it's just been abused so long that you can't tell if it's clean?
No matter how long it's been abused, you should try to find out if it's clean or stolen before you chance throwing away somebody else's property. C'mon now, you've worked in a pawn shop.