The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 08-15-2009, 10:41 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

US Military question

Why aren't the Marines part of the Navy?
Old 08-15-2009, 10:57 PM   #2
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They are.
Old 08-15-2009, 11:04 PM   #3
monster

Not according to what I've been learning from the National Airforce museum and other places -they're a separate branch of the military. there's the army, navy, airforce and marines. 4 parts. They recruit separately. if they were part of the navy, wouldn't the recruiting come from within?
Old 08-15-2009, 11:39 PM   #4
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

The Coast Guard is the fourth branch. The Marines were established a month after the Navy, to provide navel infantry as protection for the fleet. That evolved into amphibious forces but although they have their own command structure, The Commandant of the Marine Corps reports to the Secretary of the Navy.
Attached Images

Old 08-16-2009, 01:09 AM   #5
monster

Hmmm thanks. I saw the coastguard and one other as 5th and 6th, but that patch makes it pretty clear. Why do they recruit separately and have their own website/offices, then?
Old 08-16-2009, 01:10 AM   #6
monster

....the other was the reserves. Which I would guess is really part of the army?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:30 AM   #7
depmats
Major Inhabitant

The marines don't like associating with seamen. They're like totally ghey.
depmats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 02:47 AM   #8
monster

oh wow! Thanks, I think you just saved me from a major social faux pas. I had no idea it was divided that way. How progressive to have one force for each sexual orientation --much better than "don't ask don't tell." What about the women, though? Do they all have to be marines or all navy, or does it depend on their sexual orientation too? And if so do the carpet munchers go with the gheys, or with the marines?
Old 08-16-2009, 02:48 AM   #9
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

The two are combined at the Presidential cabinet level in that they both fall under the Secretary of the Navy. The Army and the Air Force have their own Secretaries. In all other respects the Corps acts as its own branch of the armed forces.

The Marine Corps is one part of the Department of the Navy, just like the Navy is one part of the Department of the Navy. Both report to the Secretary of the Navy (a civilian). In other words, the Commandant does not report to the Navy.

Also, many people are surprised that some of the graduates from Annapolis become Marines. Here again it is the same thing. Annapolis is not the Navy Academy, it is the Naval Academy (meaning serves both naval branches).

----------------

Though the armed services of the United States number only five, under Title 10, Title 16, Title 32, and Title 42 of the U.S. Code, there are actually seven uniformed services.
The five armed services, four under the Department of Defense (DOD) and one under the Department of Homeland Security (DHS), are well known to most Americans.

Department of Defense

The US Army, founded June 16, 1775, is the oldest of the armed services.

The US Navy, established October 13, 1775, was abolished in February 1781, but reinstated September 7, 1781.

The US Marine Corps, established November 10, 1775 as sharpshooters (marine infantry) aboard naval vessels, is technically a part of the Navy Department. The Marine Corps, however, has its own air arm, and operates as an independent military service.

The US Air Force was established September 18, 1947 as part of the Defense Reorganization Act. It was formerly known as the US Army Air Corps and was part of the Department of the Army.

Department of Homeland Security

The US Coast Guard was established August 19, 1790, as the Revenue and Cutter Service under the Department of Treasury. It was subsequently moved to the Transportation Department and, in the wake of the September 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York City and Washington, DC, when the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) was formed, it was transferred to that department. The Coast Guard functions under the authority of Title 32 or the US Code, and state control except in time of war when it is transferred to DOD where it operates as an element of the Department of Navy.

The two additional uniformed services, perhaps less well known to many Americans, are:

The US Public Health Service (USPHS) Commissioned Corps. USPHS was established in 1889 as a network of hospitals and treatment facilities for sailors. It operates under the Department of Health and Human Services (HHS), and runs a number of US Health Service hospitals throughout the United States.

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), formerly the Coast and Geodetic Survey, was established in 1917, and operates under the Department of Commerce (DOC).

USPHS and NOAA differ from the armed services in they consist entirely of commissioned ranks, and have no enlisted personnel. Their uniforms are based on navy uniforms, but each service has its own unique insignia. They operate under the same military regulations as the armed services, except that they are only subject to the Uniformed Code of Military Justice (UCMJ) when they are detailed to the armed forces.
The purpose of commissioning NOAA (when it was the Coast and Geodetic Survey) was to prevent its personnel from being treated as spies should they be captured when carrying out battlefield surveys.

----------

So, yes. The Marine Corps is a department of the Navy.
The Mens Department.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 05:59 AM   #10
Scriveyn
amnesic-confabulatory opsimath

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce View Post
..., to provide navel infantry ...
They're also known as militant omphaloskeptics.
Scriveyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 08:40 AM   #11
capnhowdy
Blatantly Homosapien

Semper Fi

There are two ways to win a battle in the armed forces....
1. The Marine way: Go ahead and kick their asses and get it over with.
2. The Navy way: Call the Marines.

Srsly... Each branch is equally important in its own capacity. Like spokes in a wheel. God bless America.
As you were.
Old 08-16-2009, 10:40 AM   #12
monster

Thanks CG, that's what I needed.
Old 08-16-2009, 02:31 PM   #13
Crimson Ghost
Larger than life and twice as ugly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post
Semper Fi

There are two ways to win a battle in the armed forces....
1. The Marine way: Go ahead and kick their asses and get it over with.
2. The Navy way: Call the Marines.
That's how I look at it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by capnhowdy View Post

Srsly... Each branch is equally important in its own capacity. Like spokes in a wheel. God bless America.
As you were.
By your leave, sir.

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster
Thanks CG, that's what I needed.
No problem.
Just trying to be helpful.

I have no knowledge of the events which you are describing, and if I did have knowledge of them,
I would be unable to discuss them with you now or at any future period.

Don't waste your time always searching for those wasted years
Crimson Ghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 09:16 PM   #14
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimson Ghost View Post
No problem.
Just trying to be helpful.
since when? You live in NJ j/k

(I'm an ex-NJ resident)
Old 08-16-2009, 10:06 PM   #15
Pie
Gone and done

You too??