The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Image of the Day

Image of the Day Images that will blow your mind - every day. [Blog] [RSS] [XML]

Old 06-08-2009, 11:41 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

June 9, 2009: Veggie Factory

Japan is a small country with limited tillable land, four seasons, and a voracious appetite... they once tried to eat Asia.

Quote:
In a perfectly controlled and totally sterile environment - uncontaminated by dirt, insects or fresh air - Japanese scientists are developing a new way of growing vegetables.

Called plant factories, these anonymous looking warehouses have sprung up across the country and can churn out immaculate looking lettuces and green leaves 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Every part of the plant's environment is controlled - from the lighting and temperature, to the humidity and water. Even the levels of carbon dioxide can be minutely altered.

Quote:
The vegetables from plant factories - which include green leaf, romaine lettuce and garland chrysanthemum - are sold at a premium to Japanese shoppers. No pesticides are used - and there is no risk of contamination with food poisoning bugs.

Because the plants are grown in a clean room, they can be eaten safely without washing. Lettuce grown in the factories can be cropped up to 20 times a year.Some factories are vast - and can produce three million vegetables a year.
The results are hygienic, but it's about as far from real food as you can possibly get.
I'd take issue with that last statement... it's still real food, except the garland chrysanthemums) just cleaner.
But I wonder about the taste though, because veggies taste different when they are grown in different locations, depending on the soil.
Either they'll make them all taste alike (ala McDonalds), or maybe different factories will compete to develop signature flavors?

link
Old 06-08-2009, 11:48 PM   #2
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Sounds like a fantastic business venture that could only work in a place where apples are like $3 a piece.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

*Most* food in Japan is about the same price as in Australia (I've never been shopping in the US and am too lazy to look it up). It is only specific "boutique" items with cultural significance that are insanely overpriced.

That factory is either the way of the future, or a dystopian nightmare, depending on how they run it. I hate to think about their energy bills, though. I hope they have solar panels on the roof.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:13 AM   #4
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

It's really just mass hydroponics isn't it? That's been around for ages and working well. Plenty of people grow all sorts of veges that way and they don't taste the same. You could argue that the plant would simply have it's 'true' flavour even I suppose.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:15 AM   #5
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

They've taken hydroponics to the next level with a completely controlled environment.
Old 06-09-2009, 12:28 AM   #6
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

Yeah, I got that, but it's still hydro.

I've heard that people who grow their pot plants in a controlled environment can come up with an exceptional crop.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM   #7
spudcon
Beware of potatoes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Yeah, I got that, but it's still hydro.

I've heard that people who grow their pot plants in a controlled environment can come up with an exceptional crop.
"I've heard" ?
Old 06-09-2009, 07:44 AM   #8
monster
I hear them call the tide

...and for once I don't feel so inspired to eat the iotd. Needs meat.
Old 06-09-2009, 08:00 AM   #9
dacliff
Confounded Conjuror

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
...and for once I don't feel so inspired to eat the iotd. Needs meat.
What do you call that guy in the middle? Asparagus? We're all closet cannibals...
dacliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 08:52 AM   #10
Sheldonrs
Master Dwellar

When I read the title I was expecting a story about any school in New Jersey.
Old 06-09-2009, 09:04 AM   #11
monster
I hear them call the tide

You'd think they'd dress the workers in a different color for safety reasons. I wonder how many have gone in to harvest the plants and never returned? Or perhaps they're dressed in green so we won't notice when they end up in our garden salad?
Old 06-09-2009, 11:08 AM   #12
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

This snotty witch I'm reading who wrote FRENCH WOMEN DON'T GET FAT would have a HUUUUUUGE problem with this. She's a snobby bitty thing who wears scarves and sunglasses all year round and buys her fruit from magic elves in Provence.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:19 AM   #13
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
Apparently most of the pot sold in Amsterdam is now grown hydroponically. Pot plants no longer pot plants as it were.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 11:35 AM   #14
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna View Post
This snotty witch I'm reading who wrote FRENCH WOMEN DON'T GET FAT would have a HUUUUUUGE problem with this. She's a snobby bitty thing who wears scarves and sunglasses all year round and buys her fruit from magic elves in Provence.
So why are you reading it?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2009, 12:03 PM   #15
glatt

One third of French women are overweight.
cite
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote