The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 01-17-2010, 04:28 PM   #1
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The Book of Eli

I've previously established that I am a great fan of post-apocalyptic movies. The Book of Eli will be one of my favorites for a while. I don't want to pay to see it in a theater again, but there is some stuff I want to watch more closely on DVD. Gary Oldman was creepy, as usual, and Denzel Washington was quite intense in his portrayal of an Eastwood-like Man with No Name wanderer in the wasteland.

I had avoided any of the pre-press on the movie, so the purpose of the wandering came as a complete surprise to me. I'd suggest the same to anyone who plans on seeing it.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Went to see it today. Really really wish I had went here first. But, I went to go see Denzel and he is always fun to watch, so it wasnt a total waste.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:02 PM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

So, 56% of people who visit a website that pillories nearly all movies don't like a movie with a message.

Okay.

Yeah, it's not perfect, and it should't have looked like the war was last month, and the warlord should have cleaned up the abandoned vehicles and corpses when he took over, but maybe that's just part of his decorating aesthetic, we wouldn't lose literacy in one generation, I don't think an iPod battery lasts for 30 years worth of recharges, and it's silly in places, but he does blast the heck out of a lot of stuff and people.

I want the sword.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 01-17-2010, 11:11 PM   #4
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Have you read the book 'I am Legend'?

I know you've seen the movie but the book is better I think.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 11:18 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I've read the book several times, and have also seen two of the three movie versions (the one I haven't watched yet is the newest one. I have copies of The Omega Man and The Last Man on Earth).

Old 01-17-2010, 11:29 PM   #6
skysidhe

I have not read either of those. I too like those post apocalyptic stories. I like reading how the human spirit prevails.

Try a book called Swan Song by Robert McCammon. I read it twice. It is a great story I think.

I could never get through Stephen King's the Stand. I tried but I just can't appreciate him although I really liked the move The Green Mile. I doubt the book is any different in writing style.

edit- I must say that I like all the movies based on King's books. The only time I ever like the movie better than the book.

Last edited by skysidhe; 01-17-2010 at 11:40 PM.
Old 01-18-2010, 08:49 AM   #7
glatt

Best post-Apocalypse book I've read is Earth Abides by George Stewart. It was out of print for a while, but I think they brought it back. It was possibly the first one, written back in 1949, and got the details right.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
skysidhe

I have that one bookmarked for purchase!
Old 01-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #9
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

I really wanted to see The Road, because I like the post-apocalyptic theme a lot too. Unfortunately, even though the theater in town showed the preview for months, it never came here, so I will have to wait to rent it.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2010, 10:21 AM   #10
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt View Post
Best post-Apocalypse book I've read is Earth Abides by George Stewart. It was out of print for a while, but I think they brought it back. It was possibly the first one, written back in 1949, and got the details right.
I haven't read that, but I really enjoyed Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven and Jerry Pournelle.
Old 01-18-2010, 05:57 PM   #11
be-bop
Operations Operative

I remember reading a book from the 70's by Mick Farren called
"The Texts of festival" which was in the end of the world vein. But his bext book was "The Feelies" which predicted reality tv and virtual worlds.
you had to win a tv show where the prize was a lifetime in a Feelie tank living out your days in your favorite fantasy, class read if you can get a hold of the book.
be-bop is offline   Reply With Quote