The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-19-2006, 09:30 PM   #91
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

In Australia atm, there is are a huge number of people driving suv's and 4x4''s of other varieties simply because 10yrs ago, people started saying, 'it's safer to drive the kids around in a bigger car'. It's interesting that this discourse arose at about the same time as the department of transport started advertising campaigns such as 'speed kills' and 'if you drink and drive you're a bloody idiot', with shots of people mangled and killed and in all sorts of pain.

Has the number of larger vehicles helped reduce the carnage? Nope. It's getting worse because there's more vehicles on the road. Not because of the size of them, just the number.

My personal issue with some people driving 4x4's is that they've got no idea where the vehicle starts and ends and are constantly running into things or bumping other cars etc in a series of minor bingles which simply wouldn't happen is less competant drivers were behind the wheel of something more manageable.

Recently, the number of large vehicles being purchased here has dropped considerably since the rise in fuel prices and interest rates.

I would say that 'the golden age' for the 4x4 is almost over and it'll get back to being a more proportionate number of them on the road before too long.
Old 11-20-2006, 09:58 AM   #92
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumberjim
the associated debates are rather interesting, though. personally, i find myself more interested in the differences of viewpoints with respect to the nationalities of the posters.
I'm beginning to think there is more anti-British feeling in the States than I had ever anticipated. Even on this fairly liberal board I have come across far more Brit-bashing posts than I expected (in fact I thought it was a myth that 21st Century Americans saw us as stuck-up).

I'm not saying the responses to individuals weren't warranted, but to read a reply (not in this thread) to Buddug where someone who declares himself an anglophile says, "It's no wonder some people have such a low opinion of Brits" hurts.

I did select a number of comments from that thread and this that condemn and criticise the whole of my country, but seeing how many different names I had it was frankly depressing.
Old 11-20-2006, 10:03 AM   #93
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

meh. i like brits. the accent especially. sounds a little smug, but that's part of the charm.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 11:50 AM   #94
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

The nationalities of the recent asshats is immaterial to me. Trolls are trolls. I like *you* SG...doesn't make a whit where you're from.
Old 11-20-2006, 03:53 PM   #95
Iggy
Back and ready to tart up the place

I like brits... but then again, I wasn't one of those that was saying bad things about them. You get bad apples in any bunch. I think part of the reason the other dwellars were bashing the brits is that is a good way to piss of the offending person. They say Americans are bad, so we retaliate, even if it isn't 100% true. Don't worry SG! You are loved!
Old 11-20-2006, 04:15 PM   #96
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

I love you, Sundae (though, not in a gay way--'tho there's nothing wrong with that!) and I have always felt bad that posters like Jay, sprog, buddug and hippikos made me mad enough to "bash Brits"--sadly, those four push my buttons beyond my limit. I have lashed out in emotionally charged anger at "all" Brits. I don't hate Brits, at all!...my dream has always been to visit England (though, after getting a gut full of the above usual suspects, I've turned my sights towards Ireland/Scotland!) and I feel a real kinship towards the land of my ancestors. It is hard, though, to endure post after post after post of America-Bashing. No matter what happens in the world, the above named blame us. More importantly, though, is that sproglet, hipp, bud and Jay have never allowed us to get to know them as HUMAN BEINGS, they've only insisted on furthering their agenda ad nauseum. I hate confrontation; I hate discord; but I don't like to be summarily judged--judged by the actions of a very few--not unlike the Muslims Dana is constantly reminding us to TAKE AS INDIVIDUALS.

And BTW--after all I said, the only response jay made was, "are you on your period?" Nice. Does anyone, anyone at all, find that response offensive? I did. As if a woman has no opinion other than her hormones. All I can say is, "Jay, you ignorant fuck"---
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum

Last edited by Trilby; 11-20-2006 at 04:20 PM.
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2006, 05:19 PM   #97
Aliantha

Geez...I tried to bring this thread back to some semblance of reasonable discussion but everyone's still cranky...and just on the day when I need cheering up.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:31 PM   #98
lookout123
changed his status to single

i'm not going to go back through my posts and look, but if i madecomments that sounded as if I dislike Brits, I apologize. individuals can be assholes regardless of accent or lack there of. In fact, some of my best friends are...
Old 11-20-2006, 05:40 PM   #99
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Geez...I tried to bring this thread back to some semblance of reasonable discussion but everyone's still cranky...and just on the day when I need cheering up.
What is wrong, Ali? Anyway--this is an evil thread. Start a new one!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 05:44 PM   #100
Aliantha

Nothing really wrong. I just woke up with the blues this morning and feel like crying...and before anyone asks, NO I'm not otr or about to be or anything like that.

I'm just having an attack of the sads.
Old 11-20-2006, 05:47 PM   #101
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha
Nothing really wrong. I just woke up with the blues this morning and feel like crying...and before anyone asks, NO I'm not otr or about to be or anything like that.

I'm just having an attack of the sads.

I can't think of a better way to re-arrange this thread.

I've had the sad's before. It's usually based on my past--like, ferinstance, what if I had been GOOD instead of BAD? that sort of thing....

—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 05:49 PM   #102
Aliantha

lol...regrets, I've had a few, but then again, too few to mention.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:23 PM   #103
JayMcGee
Cardigan-wearing man

mmmmmm.....Ali, you really should check out Simon Drew....

But, more importantly, I do offer my apologies to Brianna. I agree I was out of order in my flippant and discourteous reply to your post.
Old 11-20-2006, 06:27 PM   #104
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayMcGee
But, more importantly, I do offer my apologies to Brianna. I agree I was out of order in my flippant and discourteous reply to your post.
Thank you, Jay. I don't know what else to say...

—James Barrie

Old 11-20-2006, 06:36 PM   #105
Aliantha

Who is Simon Drew?