The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Food and Drink
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Food and Drink Essential to sustain life; near the top of the hierarchy of needs

Old 02-24-2005, 09:25 PM   #1
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
Headcheese. Yuck. When you are a kid, you have to eat what the parents feed you. I haven't had headcheese in over 25 years.
Your parents must have been into torture. and Brian--there is a difference between "foreign" food and plain grossissity. My stomach is turning...gads.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 10:14 PM   #2
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by melidasaur
I tend to think that all Chinese food is dirty, so I try to avoid it at all costs. I know that is a stupid thing to think, but I can't help it.

Sorry, got carried away with the smilies there. Carry on.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:19 AM   #3
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
I tend to think that all Chinese food is dirty, so I try to avoid it at all costs. I know that is a stupid thing to think, but I can't help it.
I'll betcha she eats hotdogs though ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2005, 12:47 AM   #4
melidasaur
Traded your soul for pogs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
I'll betcha she eats hotdogs though ...
Actually, I don't like hot dogs. I think they are pretty gross.

I try chinese food... and then as I take the first few bites, I realize, wait - I don't like chinese food.

If i make it myself... I'm okay. It's the restaurants that scare me and that stems from bad chinese food restaurant experiences. I've been to chinatowns all over the world and I try the food each time and each time I leave with feelings of regret and fear that I really didn't eat what I thought I ate.

Yes, I realize this is completely irrational. I'm trying to get over it because chinese food looks so good.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:28 AM   #5
breakingnews
Q_Q

Quote:
Actually, I don't like hot dogs. I think they are pretty gross.
You haven't had a Gray's Papaya dog in NY. EXCELLENT - they *snap* when you bite into them. An effect like no other dog on this planet.

Quote:
Yes, I realize this is completely irrational. I'm trying to get over it because chinese food looks so good.
Just out of curiosity, what kinda stuff do you try? I know the stuff I eat doesn't sit well with most of my friends, but they're willing to go for the simple things like noodles and dumplings. If you dislike pig belly or cow intestines, that I can understand, but there's so much other good stuff to be had as well.
breakingnews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 08:56 PM   #6
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

About beef tongue: you are supposed to remove the outer casing (taste buds) before eating it. It otherwise is fairly tasty. I enjoy experimenting with foreign foods and I prefer to NOT know what it is until after I've finished eating it.

Italy was a good place to experiment...lots of yummy things and combinations of foods that are not found in American Italian restaurants. Colombia was also fun, but never eat dog meat. Trust me on this. This is also the place where I broke a statue with a coconut. This was inadvertant and a story in itself. For another thread. Eating in Egypt was...an adventure. Never again, but once so that I can say I did it. And survived.

I will never understand those Americans who visit another country and insist on eating only familiar American foods, or McDonald's. Note the separation between their menu and actual food. This is intentional. It's more fun to try new things, if only to say you did it and offer an educated opinion on them. What fun is it to say I visited a country and ate nothing but hamburgers? And spent $500 on booze in "the Gut" but didn't visit any touristy sites?

I always will lament that I missed the port visit to Greece. I like Greek food and would love to try new things there. Also to see the various historical sites like the Parthenon and such. I might even remember to take pictures. I once took a piece of advice from a chief. To wit: Think of what you will tell your grandchildren when they ask what it was like in such-and-such country. Will you have only drinking stories of how plastered you were? Or stories of how you saw this and that? Decide for yourself. After that I hung out with the older hands and saw a few wonderful things and avoided most of the drinking stories. Save Palma de Mallorca and Rota. I will NEVER be drunk enough to repeat those stories again.

Brian
Old 02-25-2005, 08:54 PM   #7
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

A big bowl of soba noodles in broth with a few tasty bits floating in it would change her mind .
Me I will try most ANY thing at least once , and i went on 2 west pac cursies( the PI , JP, AUS, Malisia , etc...) , and was stationed in Iceland( can you say Sheep head, the WHOLE thing, eye balls and all ) for a year .
The only things i didn't enjoy were the Ballout in the PI , the dog in Okinowa( or was it MEX?? ) , and this dish from a street vender in Singapore that was noodles with 5 types of mushrooms , i like mushrooms but this was just TOOOOO much .
I refuse to eat chiterlings , tripe , munedo , guts in general , no way no how !!!!!
I know liver is good for me but it tastes like mud .
Old 02-26-2005, 07:40 AM   #8
jaguar
whig

Quote:
Headcheese.
Whiskey, Foxtrot, Tango, over.

Lots of my friends work in restaurants or have, hell I've done a stint. If you think Chinese restaurants are any better or worse than 'western' ones you're kidding yourself.
Old 02-26-2005, 10:29 AM   #9
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaguar
Whiskey, Foxtrot, Tango, over.

Lots of my friends work in restaurants or have, hell I've done a stint. If you think Chinese restaurants are any better or worse than 'western' ones you're kidding yourself.

Oh, PLEASE, please, let's not get into a thing on restaurant cleanliness or grossness! I can barely eat now as it is!!!!
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Old 02-26-2005, 04:03 PM   #10
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Did you ever think, when you eat Chinese
It ain't pork or chicken but a fat Siamese?
Yet the food tastes great, so you don’t complain.
But that’s not chicken in your chicken chow mein.
Seems to me I ordered sweet-and-sour pork
But Garfield’s on my fork.
He’s purrin’ here on my fork.

CHORUS
There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
The place that I eat every day at noon.
They can feed you cat and you’ll never know
Once they wrap it up in dough, boy.
They fry it real crisp in dough.

Chou Lin asked if I wanted more
As he was dialin’ up his buddy at the old pet store.
I said "Not today. I lost my appetite.
There’s two cats in my belly and they want to fight."
I was suckin’ on a Rolaid and a Tums or two
When I swear I heard it mew, boys.
And that is when I knew.

CHORUS
There’s a cat in the kettle at the Peking Moon
I think I gotta stop eatin’ there at noon.
They say that it’s beef or fish or pork
But it’s purrin’ there on my fork.
There’s a hair-ball on my fork.
Old 02-26-2005, 04:49 PM   #11
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Knowing that I can always count on bruce is an enormous relief.

Now, if you'll excuse me

—James Barrie

Old 02-27-2005, 01:51 PM   #12
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
Knowing that I can always count on bruce is an enormous relief.
No problem, Buddy.

Last edited by xoxoxoBruce; 04-07-2007 at 05:57 PM.
xoxoxoBruce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2005, 08:04 PM   #13
richlevy
King Of Wishful Thinking

Well, in Chinatown here in Philly there are a lot of restaurants where the menus are in two languages. In most of them you have American-friendly foods side by side with what we consider exotic. A case in point are the dim sum places where you can have steamed dumplings or steamed chickens feet.

No, I didn't try any.

I did try oriental style beef brisket. It definitely wasn't like mom used to make. What I didn't like was the way it was cut, with the fatty layer sandwiched between the meat.

I won't do tripe or head cheese (brains), but I do like to try different seasonings, styles, and types of noodles. When I was a kid in the 60's, all you could find was Cantonese food. Now almost every province in China and most of the rest of Asia is represented by a restaurant in major cities.

There are almost too many choices. Lately I've been going to an Indian lunch buffet about once a month in Frazer. Tandoor chicken and Gulab Jamun for dessert.
I have always believed that hope is that stubborn thing inside us that insists, despite all the evidence to the contrary, that something better awaits us so long as we have the courage to keep reaching, to keep working, to keep fighting. -- Barack Hussein Obama
richlevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2005, 04:16 AM   #14
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

I was once on a train in southern Russia sharing food with a bunch of people I hardly knew. One offered me a meat sandwich and said the meat was a great delicacy, called "вымя" (vyymya). I took a bite, and as I chewed, I thought, "I know that word. It's one of the ten neuter nouns that end in "мя", a little grammatical oddity I had to learn at school, the words mean ... flag, earth, burden, time, name, tribe, seed, stirrup, crown, and .... UDDER! " I almost didn't manage to swallow. I didn't take another bite.
Old 02-27-2005, 11:53 AM   #15
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Gulab Jamun is one of the most magnificent foods in the universe. One of our Indian doctors (sadly, no longer employed at the hospital) would bring me a batch every time she made them at home.

Oh, and just in case you were wondering.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote