The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 08-13-2020, 09:02 AM   #376
Griff
still says videotape

Hella mess.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:54 AM   #377
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Meanwhile in Bolivia...

Bolivia's lawmakers have approved 'Miracle Mineral Solution' — a toxic bleach — as a treatment for COVID-19. Only the president can stop it becoming law

... A bill legalizing a form of toxic bleach as a miracle cure as a COVID-19 treatment has been approved by the lower house of Bolivia's legislature.

According to local media reports, the country's Legislative Assembly approved the bill, which had already passed the Bolivian Senate.

It allows for the "production, commercialization and supply of chlorine dioxide solution to prevent COVID-19 and as a treatment for sick patients."

Chlorine dioxide is a type of industrial bleach commonly used as a disinfectant, or to bleach paper products. In recent years a movement of conspiracy theorists and alternative medicine advocates have hailed it as a miracle cure capable of curing virtually any illness.

They call it "Miracle Mineral Solution," or MMS.

The movement is fast gaining influence in Latin America, where countries including Bolivia are struggling to cope with the coronavirus pandemic.

Bolivia's own ministry of health has warned against taking the substance. In a June statement it said that medical regulators in the country had not approved the substance as a treatment for COVID-19 or any other illness. ...

... It cited multiple advisories by the Food and Drug Administration in the US, which says it has recorded reports of "severe vomiting, severe diarrhea, life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration and acute liver failure after drinking these products."

Both houses of the Bolivian parliament are controlled by the left-wing MAS party, which also used to control the presidency.

However, following the ouster of MAS president Evo Morales last year after allegations of election fraud, the presidency is currently held by the caretaker government of conservative Jeanine Añez.

The passing of the bill sets up a confrontation between Añez and Bolivia's legislature weeks before the country's delayed presidential election, scheduled for October 18.

Sergio Verdugo, an Associate Professor of Universidad del Desarrollo Law School, Chile, told Business Insider that under the Bolivian constitution, Añez can either ratify or veto the bill. But if she decides to veto it the legislative assembly can override the presidential veto by an "absolute majority" of legislators present when the vote takes place. ...
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:15 AM   #378
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

To be fair, it does kill infection. It just also happens to kill you.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 11:22 AM   #379
sexobon

To be fair, you can buy chlorine dioxide solution on Amazon to disinfect water for drinking; or, make potable water suitable for long term storage up to 5 years.

It depends on the concentrations used.

The article is a little sensationalized.
Old 08-15-2020, 12:20 PM   #380
Ibby
erika

but MMS specifically is a scam sold by jim humble, a lifelong conman and erstwhile scientologist, and MMS is specifically linked to a bunch of deaths, because it is often at FAR higher concentrations than are safe, because the safe concentrations of bleach are very very very low. it also doesnt help with covid, but this guy has been hawking poison for profit for years and like, has killed kids with his nonsense poison water. this stuff is like black salve or cyanide apricot level of scamming-sick-people grifting
Old 08-15-2020, 01:01 PM   #381
sexobon

Yes, the article I linked to reported the arrest of another scammer, an American arrested in Colombia, for hawking it.

Still, the article discusses "chlorine dioxide" saying "Chlorine dioxide is a type of industrial bleach commonly used as a disinfectant, or to bleach paper products." without mentioning that it has a legitimate preventive medicine application.

MMS doesn't have that; but, chlorine dioxide does and I pointed that out. It's pertinent; because, many people mistakenly believe that if a little bit of something is good for you, more will be better. It makes the scam easier to pull off. The article left that out; so, I put it in the thread.

I hope you don't mind.
Old 08-15-2020, 06:20 PM   #382
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
but MMS specifically is a scam sold by jim humble,
And Jim Jones also saved his flock using their same reasoning. It must be true. It was the first soundbite that somebody else told me.

Come to think if it, it was Donald Trump who told me that. Or was it UG? Sometimes I cannot tell the difference.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:24 PM   #383
sexobon

Meanwhile in the USA...

Quote:
Trump says he will look 'very strongly' at granting pardon to whistleblower Edward Snowden

... In late 2016, then-President Barack Obama said he wouldn't consider a pardon until Snowden stopped running from the law. ...
That may be all Trump needs to decide this dividing issue.
Old 08-15-2020, 10:59 PM   #384
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

"will look at 'very strongly'" is the sound Trump makes when he hears someone ask about something he doesn't know anything about.

It's fine, it's a deflection, a common response by politicians. But it does not m he's going to actually look into it,whatever the" it" of the moment may be.
Old 08-30-2020, 07:55 PM   #385
sexobon

Meanwhile in England...

There'll be riots tea drinking in the streets!

Quote:
English shops to double charge for single-use plastic bags to 10p

LONDON (Reuters) - All retailers in England will charge for single-use plastic carrier bags from next April with the price doubling to 10 pence ($0.13), the government said on Monday as it stepped up efforts to reduce plastic waste.

Since October 2015, large retailers in England have been legally required to impose a charge of 5p for plastic bags, a measure which the government says has taken 15 billion bags out of circulation.

... the charges will now apply to all retailers, not just those with more than 250 staff members ...
Old 08-30-2020, 10:17 PM   #386
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

It's been 8¢a bag, paper or plastic, around here for a long time.

But that was back in the Before Times. Now disposable bags are free again, and all those reuseable bags get light duty now.
Old 08-31-2020, 04:00 AM   #387
Carruthers
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexobon View Post
There'll be riots tea drinking in the streets!
I shall write a strongly worded letter of complaint.

Just as soon as I've finished my mug of tea.

When plastic bag charges were introduced there was a lot of moaning and groaning, but I couldn't see what the fuss was all about.

As a kid I would be despatched to the corner shop* with a conventional shopping bag for a few groceries and larger shops would be carried out in similar manner.

I just switched back into childhood mode. (Never difficult!)

Much ado about nothing.

* It's now an undertaker's office.

Last edited by Carruthers; 08-31-2020 at 04:09 AM.
Carruthers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 03:25 PM   #388
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
Come to think if it, it was Donald Trump who told me that. Or was it UG? Sometimes I cannot tell the difference.
Very dim of you. He's the Annoying Orange. I'm just happy with annoying you.

Wear a Homburg hat. It will exhibit the Yoni-On-Top, thereby signalizing that you're a pseudointellectual twat.
Old 08-31-2020, 09:37 PM   #389
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urbane Guerrilla View Post
Wear a Homburg hat. It will exhibit the Yoni-On-Top, thereby signalizing that you're a pseudointellectual twat.
Can anybody translate? Or is that just baby talk?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:36 PM   #390
Urbane Guerrilla
Person who doesn't update the user title

Well, you can start with the understanding that yoni is Hindustani for "vulva, or snatch."

A narrow scope of education does nothing for any man.