The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-02-2005, 04:14 PM   #121
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
Well, we do know that he lives against the fence of the prison.

We know that he has been putting up vegetables all summer.

We know that he is a very resourceful gentleman.

We know that he has a lot of friends in his community.

I hope that at least some of this works in his favor.
Oh, Wolf, I hope so, too! Glatt's info is pretty worrisome. I know Busterb is a gentleman who was fascinated by my old "metal mule" picture. We had quite the discussion PM-ing back and forth about the amazing works of art welders can create from just some scraps of iron. Busterb is a good old guy, and I pray he made it through OK.
Old 09-02-2005, 04:25 PM   #122
Griff
still says videotape

Ditto on that Mari.
Old 09-02-2005, 09:54 PM   #123
bargalunan
Abecedarian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I've one question: Where are the French? It's their city!
At the beginning Bush said USA didn't need international help.
He said, the day after Katrina : "I don't expect much from foreign countries because we didn't ask them !"
Has he ever missed one mistake ?
When I saw him on TV comforting a crying woman and her girl ! Just for propaganda, 4 days after !
Does it need other comments ?
Throw Bush in the Mississipi to make him understand, if it's not too late for him.

Thursday French prime minister has offered humanitary help, boats, planes quickly available in French Antillas (Guadeloupe and Martinique)
Other European countries, Germany, UK, Holland... on their own, or among Europe also decided to help USA.
So do Japan, Taiwan, ONU...
I don't know if the government of Bengladesh will help Bush because they are skilled in facing floodings.

For us this disaster is beyond measure : Flooded territories represent half of France !

It took 1 or 2 days for French people to realise how important it was.
The first news were saying that finally Katerina was level 3 instead of 5, and that New Orleans didn't suffer at all as feared in worst case.
We were thinking that US would easily cope with this situation alone.
When the tsunami occured one year ago in Asia, there was a great generosity because they are third-world-countries-that-need-international-help.
It's quite difficult to realise that an important part of the first powerful country in the world becomes so deeply paralysed in one day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianna
I am sooo sad over all of this. Then I hear news about snipers shooting at hospital evacuees...then I read wolf saying we're all just one paycheck away from savagery, and I have to agree with that...but, man. This is bad. This is third world shit. Where is America?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
This shit *is* America...it is America without cable TV, air conditioning, SUVs, big stereos, fast food.
Pay close attention, folks. History tells us that we're going to see more of this at some point. It may be a different cause, but take away the stuff that keeps the underprivileged and politically suppressed docile, and see what comes about.
Yes, Yes, Yes.
French revolution happened after some years of bad weather that gave bad crops. Folk was starving.
Modern society has also forgotten modesty. Mother nature reminds of it.
Playing with rules of nature will cause other social troubles. (Sounds apocalyptic and sententious, sorry)

As usual, the most important victims are among poor social classes (poor, black, old) that leaders like Bush don't care of.
If this society is so fragile, maybe because it's not based on good and basic values.
A society shouldn't neither consist in screwing more strongly a lid over the pressure of unfairness.

So sad.
Wishing victims will rapidly find food, water, family, security, dry ground, home, job, courage to rebuilt their life...
And run and buy the new Playstation...
Hoping that accurate preventive measures will be taken. But if we're waiting for Bush....
bargalunan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2005, 11:32 PM   #124
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by bargalunan
At the beginning Bush said USA didn't need international help.
He said, the day after Katrina : "I don't expect much from foreign countries because we didn't ask them !"
Has he ever missed one mistake ?
When I saw him on TV comforting a crying woman and her girl ! Just for propaganda, 4 days after !
Does it need other comments ?
Throw Bush in the Mississipi to make him understand, if it's not too late for him.
Couldn't agree more, bargalunan! Throw the bastard into the worst hit areas of the city and let the snipers finish him off!

Quote:
Thursday French prime minister has offered humanitary help, boats, planes quickly available in French Antillas (Guadeloupe and Martinique)
Gee, why do we hate the French, again? Would someone like to remind me? Thank you, my friend!

Quote:
I don't know if the government of Bengladesh will help Bush because they are skilled in facing floodings.
Do you think they'd drown him for us if we sent him over there? The US would supply the cement shoes, Bangladesh could supply the water. Dinner's at 6:00, Georgie!*

Quote:
For us this disaster is beyond measure : Flooded territories represent half of France !
Well, I'm glad someONE cares. No one here seems overly concerned. We might have to "throw money" at a levee. Wouldn't want to do that here in the superior US of A. You wussy Europeans can take care of your infra-structure. We are above such things. (or under them, as the case might be)

Quote:
As usual, the most important victims are among poor social classes (poor, black, old) that leaders like Bush don't care of.
If this society is so fragile, maybe because it's not based on good and basic values.
A society shouldn't neither consist in screwing more strongly a lid over the pressure of unfairness.
Well, let me expain our ever so advanced American society to you, bargalunan. See, all those po' folks who died or are dying in New Orleans SHOULD HAVE PLANNED, so they deserve what they get - even if its death. Too poor to own a car that you could have driven out of town? Obviously, you lack the Protestant Work Ethic - death for you! Too old to climb to higher ground? Who needs you? They're cutting Social Security, anyhow. Bye-bye. Owned or rented a home in a flooded area of town? Hmmm... Isn't that a black neighborhood? No problem! As we all know, black folk are gifted athletes and can easily dog paddle for days.

Gosh, don't you wish you were lucky enough to live here?

* Cement shoes or overcoat - slang for murdering someone and dropping them with plenty of weight on the body (like cement) off in a river somewhere.
Old 09-02-2005, 11:50 PM   #125
Brett's Honey
whatever

I just watched Fox - the O'Reilly Factor and Hannity and Colmbes....losts of criticism of the Louisiana governor and N.O. mayor, followed by a lot of praise on Houston's excellent organization and ability to meet the immediate needs of all of the people they've taken in.
Brett's Honey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:00 AM   #126
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Pay close attention, folks. History tells us that we're going to see more of this at some point. It may be a different cause, but take away the stuff that keeps the underprivileged and politically suppressed docile, and see what comes about.
Personally, I'm waiting for the fallout to settle (literally) from a dirty bomb in a major city.

I don't know if my employer will let me go yet, but I'm on alert for possible activation to go to the disaster area.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 09-03-2005 at 12:04 AM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 12:08 AM   #127
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Personally, I'm waiting for the fallout to settle (literally) from a dirty bomb in a major city.

I don't know if my employer will let me go yet, but I'm on alert for possible evacuation to go to the disaster area.
You mean the Katrina disater area? (as opposed to the dirty bomb disater area?) ... stupid question probably ....
Old 09-03-2005, 12:12 AM   #128
Brett's Honey
whatever

Seeing Geraldo cry and the other news reporters getting sooo pissed at the lack of relief to those people in NO shows how much criticism this relief effort is going to get. And they had not seen a Red Cross person or vehicle yet. The first trucks I saw were Salvation Army trucks.
Old 09-03-2005, 12:48 AM   #129
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
You mean the Katrina disater area? (as opposed to the dirty bomb disater area?) ... stupid question probably ....
Yes, I am on standby for activation for Katrina.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 09-03-2005, 12:54 AM   #130
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett's Honey
I just watched Fox - the O'Reilly Factor and Hannity and Colmbes....losts of criticism of the Louisiana governor and N.O. mayor, followed by a lot of praise on Houston's excellent organization and ability to meet the immediate needs of all of the people they've taken in.
Right Wing mouthpiece, doing its job.

Make sure and catch MSNBC so you see the Left's hair-tearing portrayal of everything. Then add the two together, divide by 2, and you'll have the real gist of things.

Fair and Balanced can only occur inside your own mind, because TV sure isn't going to show it.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:00 AM   #131
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I haven't really been watching the news on this a lot, so I've missed some things.

Do we have an official ribbon color yet? What about the rubber wristband?

Old 09-03-2005, 01:35 AM   #132
zippyt
LONG LIVE KING ZIPPY! per Feetz

Make sure and catch MSNBC so you see the Left's hair-tearing portrayal of everything. Then add the two together, divide by 2, and you'll have the real gist of things.

If you have access to satlite add to that BBC and devide by 3 , That is the streight scoop !!!
Old 09-03-2005, 01:51 AM   #133
Brett's Honey
whatever

I don't have access to BBC but I will check out the MSNBC coverage. I know they have a beyond-comprehension tremendous job to do.
Old 09-03-2005, 01:52 AM   #134
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Sounds like they had a hell of a thugs and deviants gathering at the Convention Center.

It is going to be very, very interesting to see how the Bush administration wriggles out of this. The N.O. Mayor is going to have to be neutralized for sure. Is there a sacrificial Louisiana Congressman who can also take a fall for the team?
Old 09-03-2005, 02:03 AM   #135
Brett's Honey
whatever

Quote:
Yes, I am on standby for activation for Katrina.
That's great. I don't know anyone directly affected, but I know that people will certainly need help. Thanks to folks like you, a lot of them will get it. The changes in life and "trauma" my son experienced when he was 4 and 5 when his sister went through cancer (and died) affected him so much that he started stuttering, and still does at 18. I cannot even begin to imagine how some of these kids (and adults too) will be affected.