The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 02-17-2016, 05:37 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

NYC 2016

Well here we are at Hurley's, and I am 85% sure that Nirvana was in the big group that preceded us in

"Hey she looks familiar... oh it is westminster dog show week too! That was probably her!"

If her last Cellar usage wasn't 5 months ago I might have sought her out and embarrassed her at her table

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 05:59 PM   #2
glatt

That's cool. Small world.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 07:38 PM   #3
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Crazy.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 09:41 PM   #4
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well The Book of Mormon was as awesome as advertised! Just got back, grinning, laughed our heads off. This is a fine Xmas gift from J's daughter.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Old 02-17-2016, 09:54 PM   #5
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Nirvana says nope not her! Well there's that 15% chance I was wrong

Old 02-17-2016, 11:31 PM   #6
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Maybe she said that because she didn't want her neighbors to know she went to NYC and didn't buy them souvenirs or send them postcards. All her neighbors read the Cellar, right?
Old 02-18-2016, 06:23 AM   #7
Griff
still says videotape

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Book O' is some funny shit.
Old 02-19-2016, 09:47 PM   #8
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Well now the disappointing part of this travelogue, I was not in a picture taking mood for some reason. I will have to fetch some shots from J.

Day two, we went to MOMA and basically did the whole museum. Modern Art, it turns out is not modern art but the period from about 1870 to 1970. So it's great, actually - when you walk their main collection you are basically taking an art history class. You go from art that kinda represents reality, to art that hardly represents reality, to art that creates new reality.

And some art that's incomprehensible, but I think that's good to see from time to time as well.

We walked from the hotel to the museum, walked the whole museum, and then walked back... pretty exhausting really

Then, at night! It turns out that a lot of major Broadway shows offer tickets at a big discount, but only by lottery. They set aside like 20 seats; you enter in the morning; by mid-day they email you to tell you whether you won. We were thinking about going downtown to the Comedy Cellar* that night, but wound up winning tickets to An American In Paris. So we wound up at the second major Broadway show in two nights!

This one is a really huge production, with top-class ballet and a set design and audio-visual work that was just stunning. It was the big award winner of the season and you could see why. Pretty amazing stuff. We paid $40 for $200 seats!!

*Not just because it's called that. The "Cellar" is truly the Mecca of standup comedy venues in the world.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:11 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Then today we hauled our asses downtown and went to the 9/11 Museum. I was prepared for simple somber remembrance, and didn't think there was too much it would tell me that I didn't already kind of know. But they do a REALLY great job and I was glad we went.

The right thing to do, then is to follow that with a trip to the new One World Observatory. I had been up the original WTC and twice up the Empire State, so it wasn't going to be mind-blowing; but this too was really well done. Looking down on Manhattan, Brooklyn and the shimmering NY harbor, it's really worth it just to spend some time up there on a super clear day.

And to that, somehow we decided to eat at their restaurant, "One", and it was just perfect. I don't know why we didn't plan to do that from the beginning. Oh right, the price. Turned out not so bad. It was about $100 for lunch for both of us; and you know, that's what a meal is at any decent restaurant in Manhattan and in this one you are about 1700 feet in the air. Highly recommended. In this case it was super-easy because we wound up eating at 3pm and so we could pretty much just walk in, no reservation required.

A marvelous trip. We are exhausted.
Old 02-19-2016, 10:36 PM   #10
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

The room

Us in Times Square

One WTC

Old 02-19-2016, 11:36 PM   #11
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

One WTC. The glass shutters look like they cover a HVAC intake, but their intake couldn't possibly be that big. Those shutters are what, looks like 15 floors high?

Sounds like an outstanding trip, good on you guys.
Old 02-20-2016, 07:30 AM   #12
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Very cool! What hotel did you stay at?
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 08:53 AM   #13
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Crowne Plaza Times Square, right in the middle of everything. Touristy heaven

Old 02-20-2016, 10:50 AM   #14
glatt

I feel like I should take a trip up there now. Great report.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote