The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 12-27-2012, 12:24 AM   #46
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Adak, please do not quote me and then go off on some tangent completely unrelated to what I posted. thank you in advance for your cooperation.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:45 AM   #47
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by classicman View Post
Adak, please do not quote me and then go off on some tangent completely unrelated to what I posted. thank you in advance for your cooperation.
That made me laugh.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 07:18 AM   #48
Ibby
erika

Minors regularly own shotguns and plinking rifles in Vermont. I don't believe Adak's version of events in the slightest; it was straight up murder by every reading of the facts I can muster, and I'm as certain that his conviction is upcoming as Adak is sure it isn't. Anyway, I was being facetious; either way, you never hear the NRA arguing that more PoC, that more people in poverty, that more people in high-risk gun-violence areas or groups should just pack more heat.
On top of that, our white-supremacist, patriarchal criminal justice system is very good at punishing anyone who isn't a cishetwhitemale for the very self-defense so much of the cellar takes for granted - see Marissa "20-years-for-warning-shots" Alexander, CeCe "defending-yourself-from-a-nazi-is-murder" McDonald, et al.
Old 12-27-2012, 07:34 AM   #49
Spexxvet
Makes some feel uncomfortable

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
If a lawabiding citizen likes to carry with 13 in the magazine and 1 in the chamber why does that matter to you? If a lawabiding citizen likes to target shoot with his AR-15 at his local range why does that matter to you?

Guns aren't the problem. Lawabiding citizens aren't the problem. The evilminded and the insane are the problem. Tightening restrictions on those who follow the law will have no effect on those who care nothing about the law or the consequences.
The problem is that many gun carriers are law abiding citizens right up until they go on a shooting spree. How do you stop shooting sprees before they happen? I suggest that one of the easiest ways would be to limit the "spree" part of it.
Old 12-27-2012, 08:08 AM   #50
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ibby View Post
But even Vermont has limits.
With no intention of derailing this thread, I slap you with my white leather glove and tell you, sternly, madam, Vermont HAS NO LIMITS.

and you know it.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2012, 03:14 PM   #51
Griff
still says videotape

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/...47f_story.html

David Gregory shows the effectiveness of DC's gun laws.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #52
classicman

Quote:
“NBC contacted [D.C. police] inquiring if they could utilize a high capacity magazine for their segment. NBC was informed that possession of a high capacity magazines is not permissible and their request was denied.

Gregory appears to have used a large-capacity ammunition magazine anyway. A police official said detectives will try to determine whether it was real, how it was obtained and whether the segment was filmed in the District. The official said the investigation will entail questioning NBC producers and could conclude this week.

NBC News, through a spokeswoman, declined comment.

The situation presents authorities with an unusual decision: file charges in a crime that is infrequently prosecuted or appear unwilling to enforce the District’s gun laws.
And therein lies part of the problem. Too many laws which are not enforced.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #53
classicman

Additionally, he is a friggin hypocrite who sends his own children to a school protected by armed personnel.

"Gregory’s kids attend Sidwell Friends School that has about a dozen security officers on staff, some of whom are police officers and some who are armed.

The notable parents who send their children to that school also includes Obama. Interesting how they apparently think its OK to protect their own children but not yours.
Old 12-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #54
Ibby
erika

There's a huge difference between "the solution isn't to put armed guards in every school in the country" and "there is no school at-risk enough to warrant armed guarding". Strawman. The difference is that schools in, say, DC, are at risk from the high level of violence in DC, whereas it is nearly impossible to identify regions or schools at risk for mass murder.
Old 12-27-2012, 04:00 PM   #55
classicman

Blah blah blah... their kids are protected, the rest of us schleps? Not so much.
Old 12-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #56
Adak
Lecturer

Had to laugh at another far-left liberal who's always speaking out for the "common man", blah, blah, blah.

They were discussing Michael Moore's armed bodyguard being arrested in New York awhile back, for having a concealed sidearm, without a valid New York CCW permit (which are of course, difficult to get).

Sure Michael - you lecture us on the need for gun control - while you keep your armed bodyguard close at hand.

Damn hypocrite!
Adak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 03:57 AM   #57
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spexxvet View Post
The problem is that many gun carriers are law abiding citizens right up until they go on a shooting spree. How do you stop shooting sprees before they happen? I suggest that one of the easiest ways would be to limit the "spree" part of it.
Perhaps not so easy. There's an age old saying in law enforcement that the fastest reload is a second gun.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 06:42 AM   #58
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adak View Post
Had to laugh at another far-left liberal who's always speaking out for the "common man", blah, blah, blah.

They were discussing Michael Moore's armed bodyguard being arrested in New York awhile back, for having a concealed sidearm, without a valid New York CCW permit (which are of course, difficult to get).

Sure Michael - you lecture us on the need for gun control - while you keep your armed bodyguard close at hand.

Damn hypocrite!

I'm going to go out on a limb and suggest that Michael Moore has probably received considerably more death threats in a single year than the average American is ever going to receive in their entire life.

Perhaps if your country was not awash with firearms, public figures with controversial views would not need to take such extreme precautions to defend themselves.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:40 AM   #59
henry quirk
maskless: yesterday, today, tomorrow

"Perhaps if your country was not awash with firearms..."

HA!

But America *'is' awash in firearms, Dana.

The only solution that might come close to ending that flood is confiscation of every weapon (and corresponding ammo), from every person.

Simply banning guns and ammo will not work.

Imagine: tomorrow, all guns in America are banned by way of law directing every one to deliver all weapons and ammo to local law enforcers.

No criminal will abide.

Many law abiders will not abide (converting them into criminals in a single stroke).

No, total confiscation is the only answer and that will be a long, bloody, expensive process with no guarantee of success.

Reality: Pandora's Armory opened for business ages ago and all the debbil guns flew out...you'll never be rid of 'em (or the folks who'd use 'em to do nasty things).

*a wonderful word, 'is'...(what) 'is' always trumps wishes and fishes...sure, (what) 'should' (be) is a grand starting place for reformations, but too grand a vision inevitably leads to failure...again: Pandora's Armory opened for business ages ago...it is what it 'is'.
henry quirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2012, 11:47 AM   #60
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally Posted by henry quirk View Post

But America *'is' awash in firearms, Dana.
First thing that popped into my head was Whatever Happened to Baby Jane:

Blanche: You wouldn't be able to do these awful things to me if I weren't still in this chair.
Jane: But you *are*, Blanche! You *are* in that chair

(It sounds more like "but y'are in that chair Blanch.')

This is not commentary, except on the way my brain works.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote