The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 11-26-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Any Austin Cellarites?

Okay...after perusing the Web for interesting things to do in Austin, Texas, after business hours, I can't find a damn thing except for going to look at one of the 'Moonlight Towers'. Since seeing antique urban lighting structures is only going to stretch so far as entertainment, I thought I'd see if any of ya'll live in or near Austin, and would want to hang one night while I was there (Sunday night through Tuesday night).
Old 11-26-2003, 09:54 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

That Guy (formerly Blowmee the Clown) lives in Austin, IIRC. Warch lived there for a while, though I don't know how long it's been since she left.

But Austin is a college town...there HAS to be cool shit around, even after hours.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2003, 10:21 PM   #3
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Hot Rods and music, man. Lots of music clubs.
Old 11-29-2003, 05:37 PM   #4
warch
lurkin old school

Great place to visit! I hear the traffic is getting ugly though. I'm planning a trip back to visit in Feb or March.

Look around and pick up an Austin Chronicle to learn who's playing in town. Good music everynight for cheap or nothin.

The club drag down 6th street is kinda spring break mentality-not that that cant be fun for the right person, but I'd say head to Congress Ave instead.
On south Congress is my fav spot- Continental Club- anything, anyone playing there is well worth a listen. Great place. Lots of great places. they have great music at happy hour and later for the night. Joes coffee is down the street. Junk stores, go buy some Boots.
Right downtown (north of town lake) on Congress is Tesoros Trading Co - funky stuff- mexican folk medicine, virgin mary gear shift knobs, Haitian voodoo flags...and right next door is Las Manitas- a breakfast regular joint. On same street is the Elephant bar, for jazz.
Still downtown, just eastward, is the Iron Works BBQ. They have all the meats, but I think their chicken is the best.
Stubbs too is good, and generally has great music going on at night.

If youre looking for the country thing, Go dance at the Broken Spoke on South Lamar. or if you have time and wheels head out to Gruene to the dance hall there. lots of fun. maybe Willie will pop in.

Good food:
Guerros- marinated chicken tacos on fresh corn tortillas. I dream about them. Or Breakfast tacos there with good ruta maya coffee. Damn.

Shady Grove, over by Barton Springs has green chilie cheese fries. also the stuff of my dreams. they'll make you a chicken fried steak.

theres a ton of things to do. have fun! I cant wait to visit again!
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2003, 05:39 PM   #5
warch
lurkin old school

Oh yeah, and I bet you'd dig watching the Mexican free tail bats take off at twilight from under the congress ave bridge. People will start to gather along the sides of the lake as it gets dark, they come out from under the bridge like a massive, smokey cloud. very cool.
Old 11-29-2003, 10:15 PM   #6
Elspode

Thanks, m'lady. That's the kind of info I need! I'll be staying in the Hampton Inn on the extreme north end of town, right next to Dell HQ (wish they gave out free computers with every night's stay), so it will be a bit of a drive into town, but Austin isn't all that huge from what I can tell.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:01 PM   #7
warch
lurkin old school

haul ass down MoPac.
Old 11-30-2003, 11:23 PM   #8
Elspode

Yeah, I crossed that one coming into Round Rock...so, there's places to do and things to see on Mopac?
Old 12-01-2003, 09:40 AM   #9
warch
lurkin old school

Hmm.Not really, but that road will take you towards downtown where some action is. It a N-S corridor like 35. Take it to Enfield and cut across, east towards Lamar,the Capital, or the UT drag. From the capital you can head further south down Congress or Lamar and find more fun fun.
Old 12-12-2003, 03:48 AM   #10
That Guy
He who reads, sometimes writes.

I'm an ass.
That Guy is offline   Reply With Quote