The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 10-27-2004, 10:05 PM   #46
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I think he's right on the money on the Kerry issue ... for both of them.

I'm just trying to figure out how John Heinz kept Teresa off camera all those years ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2004, 10:20 PM   #47
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

It's pretty amazing that Wolf has a problem with women who speak their mind...
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 04:50 AM   #48
Catwoman
stalking a Tom

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobfromAmerica
So sad to see so much hatred on this and other u.k. boards I have read.
What hatred? I don't know a single brit on this board that has spouted hatred. Frustration is probably a better word. Can you not understand our contempt at your support of an unashamedly homophobic, trigger happy president that justifies war with rhetoric and does not understand the crucial paradox of a 'war on terror'? And your reasons for voting Dubya? Tax cuts? "Homeland security"? God that's selfish. You support war? You wouldn't if it was happening in your back yard. Your childrens' heads blown off because Iraq is scared of you. The only reason you support the war Bob is because you believe it will make the world safer, you've fallen for the rhetoric. It's not safe in Iraq. Or does that not count as 'the world'? Is America the world?

I would say the same to any Brit that supports the war. I would say the same to Tony Blair. Unfortunately Brits can't vote against Bush, but you can. That's why I may feel more frustration towards you than a fellow Brit.

Now, the above is not directed towards all Americans, but to you, personally, based on your post. By supporting Bush you are helping to perpetuate that stereotype you so protest - that American's are selfish, scared, patriotic, ignorant.

But hang on one second. Who can blame you for being ignorant if all the information you have access to is spun sugar from a president bleeting the buzz words of success and safety? And you are no different to us here in England that are fed exactly the same lines, just through a stiff upper lip rather than rousing hyperbole.

I think what the British don't like is that you are honest about your pride in your country, your desire for more money/less tax, your American dream. We're just more discreet, we vote Tory sorry New Labour because it provides the best deal for ME. We're all the same.

So how can I accuse you of being ignorant, selfish? I am just the same. I don't know anything about war yet I oppose it; I've never been to America yet I think I know it's people. I have a lot to learn.

But at the same time, there is something that just feels wrong about war, about pain. Of course, survival of the fittest - you would kill rather than be killed, we all would. But what if the threat is not real? The other guy's gun is not loaded, he just says it is. What if he just wants your attention, wants to be heard, and this is the only way he knows how?

Do you still shoot, even though you don't know?

I think, sadly, the answer is yes. Which is why we will always have wars, unless we start listening to each other. The words peace and understanding are over-used but I think applicable here.

So we don't hate Americans. I don't hate Americans. I hate war, fascism (for want of a better word) and people who do not listen. Your government has a habit of all of the above, and your implicit support of this is what some Brits (and other countries) may protest. Do you understand?
Old 10-28-2004, 06:59 AM   #49
vsp
Syndrome of a Down

Quote:
Bush will probably be re-elected for reasons other than the war.(taxes,farm policy, jobs,etc.) so please don't think we americans have all lost our minds.
Only certain Americans.
vsp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 05:53 PM   #50
wolf
lobber of scimitars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy Monkey
It's pretty amazing that Wolf has a problem with women who speak their mind...
It's all dependent on whether they are in it or out of it at the time ...

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

Old 10-28-2004, 06:20 PM   #51
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf

What? So you have some problem with the out-of-mind challenged? We have the right to be as vocal about our insanity as the rest of America does (and is)!
Old 10-28-2004, 06:29 PM   #52
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
And who decides that? You?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2004, 07:02 PM   #53
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I'm a professional.

Don't try this at home.

Old 10-28-2004, 07:23 PM   #54
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

We've got our own Krauthammer here!
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 08:25 PM   #55
BobfromAmerica
Person Who Has Posted

Hello all,sorry,I didn't mean to start such a slobberknocker! I only meant that bush will probably be re-elected due to domestic issues and that the war is not the only issue in this election. I AM a person who "oozes with love and respect" but if YOU had to listen to john kerry and his dead mint broom jockey wife for the past six months see how kind You would feel! (lol) Catwoman,very good post,you have given me some food for thought,although I don't think you fully grasp why many americans feel the way we do about the war in iraq. I live 3 hours drive from new york city and know unless we do something to take out these terrorists and nations that support them it is only a matter of time before a nuke goes off in times square. I am 19 and honestly dont think i'll live to see my 21st birthday. I would probably be in iraq now myself if health problems hadn't kept me out of the military.( I tried to enlist on sept.12,2001.,but was turned down) war is an awful thing that no one wants,but many americans feel we are in this for our very survival. sadly,I think it will happen here no matter what we do,there are just too many of the terrorists out there to stop them all.
BobfromAmerica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2004, 09:04 PM   #56
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I think it will happen here no matter what we do,there are just too many of the terrorists out there to stop them all.
Don't know, Bush hasn't tried yet.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:07 PM   #57
marichiko

Quote:
sadly,I think it will happen here no matter what we do,there are just too many of the terrorists out there to stop them all.
Yeah, they're called politicians.
Old 10-29-2004, 09:20 PM   #58
Spray
dyslexic rambeller

Hello all
this is a first for me this tin-ta-net(brit joke) thing can be a very good read when working night, Right off we go!!!!!!
I need to put a arm around bobfromamerica and tell him that its OK everything will be allright, done watch tv for a week and the world is a better place belive me (yes i now i cant spell im dyslexic) and iraq has nothing to do with Terrorists, we had terrorists at one point called the IRA. they bombed manchester my brother and sister where living they at the time, shit happens (as you lot say) dont let it run your life. bush will have you thinking that around every corner some evildoer is waiting! dont go laying down your life because some bloke in a funny hat and grey beard is pissed off, let face it theres no Terrorists breaking down your door bob! and if you think about it bob, the word terror is what they are trying to do, scare you with terror and it sounds like they are wining. your going to live to be a old man bob because the socalled terrorists dont what you they what your goverment.So you have 2 choices Laugh or Cry its up to you. one last thing Catwoman sound a bit of a brainbox if you aks me!!
Spray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 08:25 AM   #59
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Welcome Spray from Sheffield, good first post. (United or Wednesday? When I was a young one I lived in S10, the Hallamshire area.)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2004, 05:39 PM   #60
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
I need to put a arm around bobfromamerica and tell him that its OK everything will be allright, done watch tv for a week
Bwahahahahahahahahahhahaha!!

Welcome to the Cellar, Spray