The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Parenting
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Parenting Bringing up the shorties so they aren't completely messed up

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2007, 10:47 AM   #11
rkzenrage

Quote:
I just don't buy the arguments that the non smackers come up with. Particularly those that come from places where the death penalty is still a form or punishment deemed suitable by the majority of people.
I agree that that is immoral and one looks like a fool telling a kid not to be violent while telling them it is ok to murder someone strapped to a chair or table.
This easily can be a problem with authority in the US with some kids, not a core one, but must add to the issue on some subconscious level; any hypocrisy does.
Fortunately for me, I will tell my son that being for the death penalty and "moral" is just that IMO, explain why I feel that way, so there will be no issue in our home.

Pierce, I think you are grossly underestimating kid's ability to think for themselves. As a teacher for years, there are ages where they will behave erratically because of what their peers are doing (5th - 8th grades estimated), but if their core teachings and personality does not jive with that they will not be part of the central group and will grow out of it. I was part of that and also saw it over-&-over-&-over again. Many times encouraging kids to stop being tag-alongs.
Kids are just small people, they make decisions for the same reasons we do.
IMO, adults are more influenced by group-think than kids ever were.

Just because people who were spanked are not outwardly, physically, aggressive does not mean they are not aggressive and harmful in other ways, at least for a time while they learn to deal with the resentment of being hit by their loved ones.
Passive aggressive behavior is more damaging and as "violent", even more so & far more long lasting, than any beating can be.
The studies I posted clearly stated that there are lasting effects.

Last edited by rkzenrage; 07-24-2007 at 10:56 AM.