The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Technology
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Technology Computing, programming, science, electronics, telecommunications, etc.

Old 01-16-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Physical Markup Language

Phillips has come up with a way the change the ambiance of your room depending on what book your reading AND what page you're on.
Quote:
To make this possible, besides a physical infrastructure, you need standard descriptions and protocols that enable you to describe experiences and interprete them in terms of appropriate effects within the network of devices - rather like HTML encodes the features of the Web pages that our browser then interprets for us and presents on the screen. The framework of rules would need to be flexible enough to cope with the variety and complexity of the real world and the personal attributes of the individuals undergoing the experience. For this purpose, Philips has developed a common language for describing eperiences within an Ambient Intelligence environment: Physical Markup Language (PML).
Physical Markup Language
I wonder if it will turn your house into a brothel if you are doin' it?
What if you're gaming? Dungeons and dragons? Watching wrestling?
Old 01-17-2006, 12:45 AM   #2
wolf
lobber of scimitars

I don't think I could tolerate reading a book that insisted on it's own mood lighting.

If the author can't express it sufficiently well for me to get it without a gadget, the writing isn't good enough.

For now, I'll go with the assumption that this is a means to bring us one step closer to the more easily controllable population of Fahrenheit 451.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 10:13 AM   #3
laebedahs
Abecedarian

"In recent news, Phillips has come up with a way to change the ambience of your room, whether you want it to or not. Once a month you will experience a new reality. This new common language will be called Physical Markup Symbolism (PMS)."
laebedahs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:07 PM   #4
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

I think the fact that some egghead at Phillips thinks that people are now too frigging stupid to visualize what they are reading is pretty damn insulting. Does *everything* in the world have to be skewed to the lowest common denominator? And if so...how the hell do they think that the morons at whom they are directing this "product" are ever going to be able to afford to have the infrastructure to create the environment that they are reading about? Holodecks aren't going to come cheap, man.