The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Health
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Health Keeping your body well enough to support your head

Old 12-13-2012, 07:05 AM   #1
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Brominated Vegetable Oil

From the NY Times, A teenager in Mississippi has started an online petition trying to persuade Pepsi to take Brominated Vegetable Oil out of Gatorade.
Quote:
Jeff Dahncke, a spokesman for PepsiCo, noted that brominated vegetable oil had been deemed safe for consumption by federal regulators. “As standard practice, we constantly evaluate our formulas and ingredients to ensure they comply with federal regulations and meet the high quality standards our consumers and athletes expect — from functionality to great taste,” he said in an e-mail.

In fact, about 10 percent of drinks sold in the United States contain brominated vegetable oil, including Mountain Dew, also made by PepsiCo; Powerade, Fanta Orange and Fresca from Coca-Cola; and Squirt and Sunkist Peach Soda, made by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.

The ingredient is added often to citrus drinks to help keep the fruit flavoring evenly distributed; without it, the flavoring would separate.
But it's been banned in Europe and Japan, so what the hell is going on?
Quote:
Its use in foods dates to the 1930s, well before Congress amended the Food, Drug and Cosmetic Act to add regulation of new food additives to the responsibilities of the Food and Drug Administration. But Congress exempted two groups of additives, those already sanctioned by the F.D.A. or the Department of Agriculture, or those experts deemed “generally recognized as safe.”

The second exemption created what Tom Neltner, director of the Pew Charitable Trusts’ food additives project, a three-year investigation into how food additives are regulated, calls “the loophole that swallowed the law.” A company can create a new additive, publish safety data about it on its Web site and pay a law firm or consulting firm to vet it to establish it as “generally recognized as safe” — without ever notifying the F.D.A., Mr. Neltner said.

About 10,000 chemicals are allowed to be added to foods, about 3,000 of which have never been reviewed for safety by the F.D.A., according to Pew’s research. Of those, about 1,000 never come before the F.D.A. unless someone has a problem with them; they are declared safe by a company and its handpicked advisers.
That's not very reasuring, why don't they test this stuff?
Quote:
John Halligan, senior adviser and general counsel to the organization, said that during the late 1960s and early 1970s, the expert panel was reviewing many older additives that had been grandfathered into “generally recognized as safe” status when the federal law was changed.

“They came to B.V.O. and there had been some new studies done which weren’t definitive,” he said. “The panel looked at data and said it doesn’t look like we have an adequate database here to conclude this substance is generally recognized as safe, so they revoked its status.”

Subsequently, Patricia El-Hinnawy, a spokeswoman for the F.D.A, wrote in an e-mail, the agency asked the association to do studies on brominated vegetable oil in mice, rats, dogs and pigs. She said that the organization made “several submissions of safety data” to the F.D.A. while those studies were going on, roughly from 1971 to 1974.

“F.D.A. determined that the totality of evidence supported the safe use of B.V.O. in fruit-flavored beverages up to 15 parts per million,” Ms. El-Hinnawy wrote.

That ruling, made in 1977, was supposed to be interim, pending more studies, but 35 years later it is unchanged. “Any change in the interim status of B.V.O. would require an expenditure of F.D.A.’s limited resources, which is not a public health protection priority for the agency at this time,” Ms. El-Hinnawy wrote.

Meanwhile, no further testing has been done. While most people have limited exposure to brominated vegetable oil, an extensive article about it by Environmental Health News that ran in Scientific American last year found that video gamers and others who binge on sodas and other drinks containing the ingredient experience skin lesions, nerve disorders and memory loss.

Michael F. Jacobson, co-founder and executive director of the Center for Science in the Public Interest, said some studies show that B.V.O. collects in fatty tissues, raising questions about what its effect might be during weight loss. Dr. Jacobson, who looked into the research on brominated vegetable oil after being asked about it by The New York Times, concluded, “The testing of B.V.O. is abysmal.”
Yes sir, we need less regulation, cut their funding, get the damn government outta my life.
Old 12-13-2012, 09:23 AM   #2
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Absolutely Bruce. The big corporations have all the money, let them test it and tell us weather it's safe or not.

Old 12-13-2012, 11:53 AM   #3
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

I wish we could ban DHMO. It kills so many people every year and they put it in just about everything!
Old 12-13-2012, 01:33 PM   #4
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Sarge View Post
I wish we could ban DHMO. It kills so many people every year and they put it in just about everything!
The lobbyists for DHMO are too powerful.
Old 12-13-2012, 05:19 PM   #5
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

yes, but it's toxic. it's responsible for thousands of deaths every year!
Old 12-13-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Rhianne
Nearly done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigV View Post
yes, but it's toxic. it's responsible for thousands of deaths every year!
Rubbish. The stuff has never harmed anyone, people with dihydrogen monoxide have killed thousands.
Rhianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 06:20 PM   #7
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

If you really were concerned about your health, this:

Quote:
In fact, about 10 percent of drinks sold in the United States contain brominated vegetable oil, including Mountain Dew, also made by PepsiCo; Powerade, Fanta Orange and Fresca from Coca-Cola; and Squirt and Sunkist Peach Soda, made by the Dr Pepper Snapple Group.
... is all stuff you wouldn't drink anyway.

Sugar, phosphoric acid, usually caffeine, artificial flavorings etc etc. The DHMO is the only healthy thing in most of these.

Yeah, self-regulation for industry is a joke. So is demanding healthy sugarbombs from Pepsi and CCA.
Old 12-13-2012, 06:32 PM   #8
jimhelm
a beautiful fool

I drink DHMO every day. hell.... I'd bathe in it if I could get enough!
Old 12-13-2012, 07:00 PM   #9
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Wait, are we talking about weaponised DHMO here?
Old 12-13-2012, 07:01 PM   #10
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZenGum View Post
Wait, are we talking about weaponised DHMO here?
As if there were any other kind.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:17 PM   #11
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Oh come on, it has civilian applications as well.
Old 12-13-2012, 07:48 PM   #12
Lamplighter
Person who doesn't update the user title

Sarge, which would you rather have on a date with your favorite girl... DHMO or MEOH ?
Lamplighter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2012, 08:47 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhianne View Post
Rubbish. The stuff has never harmed anyone, people with dihydrogen monoxide have killed thousands.
Pah.

I've seen many of your posts, you can be quite salty at times. Perhaps that's why you don't care one grain for the unfortunate victims of hyponatremia. The number one cause of hyponatremia, the *only* cause? That's right. DHMO.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:23 AM   #14
Aliantha
trying hard to be a better person

I think Rhianne was making joke at the expense of the gun toting conservatives V. I could be wrong, but that was my take on it.
Old 12-14-2012, 12:33 AM   #15
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

p'raps.

I'm willing to let it be DHMO under the bridge in any case.