The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-24-2008, 11:13 AM   #16
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

I've been getting about five political messages on the answering machine every day. It seems that the Democratic ones start with, "This is why you should vote for Obama..." (and then I delete them), and the Republican ones start with, "This is why you shouldn't vote for Obama."

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:16 AM   #17
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Funny. I have heard a lot of talk about the roving auto phone messages but we have not had one. Maybe it is because Obama quit GA a few months ago.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:18 AM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

I'm actually somewhat convinced the R's are doing this year what the d's did in '04. *adjust your tinfoil hat now* I believe the d machine put Kerry up but didn't want him to win. They were clearly grooming Obama and the others recognized Hillary wasn't ready yet. If Kerry was elected then it would have been 8 years before either would have a shot.

This year the R's have McCain/Palin and a fairly inept campaign strategy. My conspiracy theory is that they are expecting Obama to win and go all Carter on us so that the "REAL" conservatives can bring out their new Reagan to put us back on the "right" path. I have no freaking clue who they'd be grooming behind the scenes though unless it is someone like Gingrich.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:29 AM   #19
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

I believe that the political divide is poison. Look at the Cellar forum categories. Politics is just a small part of who we are. 95% of life is NOT politics.

It's ironic. We seek to divide humanity, but to truly solve problems, we must find a way to unite. But in politics, we are trying so hard to find reasons to hate each other. We have to find a way around this.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:31 AM   #20
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Quote:
Politics is just a small part of who we are. 95% of life is NOT politics.
Politics underpins everything else.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:33 AM   #21
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Does the fact that it never occurred to me that the post might be directed at me in any way mean I'm self involved or oblivious? Either way, I was simply speaking about the Us v Them mentality. The only winners when we're separated are the politicians.
My parents are extreme. To them it is us vs. them and they can't even talk to me about politics because they get frustrated when I don't fall for caustic secrecy about "facts" about O'bama. I know my dad was "up there" in the chain of command or whatever, but I don't think they do know, firsthand, jack about O'bama and his ties.

They are politically conservative and always have been. They are "us" and I am "them" and that is inside one immediate family. I love my parents, but some of the stereotypes about conservatives are actually true with them, and it's unfortunate. Their agenda is clear, even though they utilize things that came from a more liberal front on a daily basis. For them, I think their political views stem from their peers, and that's the way it has always been.

I like that there is some balance in this chaos. Group A does what they think is right and someone benefits, and Group B does what they think is right and someone benefits...and so on....This is diversity.

No lookout, no one said you had any sort of problem with your reaction. I have the same knee jerk reaction when people make sexual attacks against Palin just because she's a woman. I have a different axe to grind and I get carried away on terrible rants because people have chosen this election to show their true colors, and let sexism reign once again...I feel like those attacks are directed at me for being a woman. Because when someone goes off on their sexual attacks I feel they are attacking all women. See? I can feel a rant coming on already about that, but for the sake of the thread I'm not going to do it.

I find myself defending Palin which is the last thing I want to do. Because it effects me. I lose my sense of humour when people start calling the wombs they came from, clown cars....We aren't that different. I just have trouble with people acting badly to support their mo.

You are right lookout, not only are the winners the politicians, some people become losers.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:38 AM   #22
Pico and ME
Are you knock-kneed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
I'm actually somewhat convinced the R's are doing this year what the d's did in '04. *adjust your tinfoil hat now* I believe the d machine put Kerry up but didn't want him to win. They were clearly grooming Obama and the others recognized Hillary wasn't ready yet. If Kerry was elected then it would have been 8 years before either would have a shot.

This year the R's have McCain/Palin and a fairly inept campaign strategy. My conspiracy theory is that they are expecting Obama to win and go all Carter on us so that the "REAL" conservatives can bring out their new Reagan to put us back on the "right" path. I have no freaking clue who they'd be grooming behind the scenes though unless it is someone like Gingrich.

My thoughts too, Lookout. The Republicans do not want to win this one. Hell, well-known republicans are now backing Obama, a democrat. Whens the last time that happened? I don't remember the Clinton/Bush election, did Clinton get these kind of endorsements? It does feel like a 'conspiracy'... or at least a grand play. And Yes, Obama has been the 'set-up' for a while. I sensed this pretty early on and thats why I didn't back him in the primaries. I liked Edwards. But after his massive 'fail', I wondered about his role in all this.

OK, I've probably shown a lot of ignorance with this rambling, but these are thoughts that crossed my mind.
Pico and ME is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:42 AM   #23
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanaC View Post
Politics underpins everything else.
(semi-true)

Nothingland underpins everything else. (false)
Current events underpin everything else. (semi-true)
Entertainment underpins everything else. (false)
Technology underpins everything else. (true)
The Internet underpins everything else. (semi-true)
Philosophy underpins everything else. (true)
Cities and travel underpins everything else. (semi-true)
Sports underpins everything else. (false)
Food and drink underpins everything else. (true)
Parenting underpins everything else. (definitely true)
Health underpins everything else. (definitely true)
Relationships underpin everything else. (definitely true)
Creative expression underpins everything else. (true)
The Image of the Day underpins everything else. (only semi-true for Cellar)
Quality Images underpin everything else. (false)
Cellar Meta underpins everything else. (only true for Cellar)
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 11:47 AM   #24
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
I believe that the political divide is poison. Look at the Cellar forum categories. Politics is just a small part of who we are. 95% of life is NOT politics.

It's ironic. We seek to divide humanity, but to truly solve problems, we must find a way to unite. But in politics, we are trying so hard to find reasons to hate each other. We have to find a way around this.
I just don't see it happening. The attacks from the left and the right are intense and most of the material turns out to false, or at least barely true. And then they take it and twist it. Most of the electorate is not smart enough or takes the time to investigate past what they are fed on TV or in EM spam from other like minded individuals.
Old 10-24-2008, 11:55 AM   #25
SamIam

I agree with Dana. Our lives are very much influenced by politics. We live in a republic disguised as a democracy. (don't know if our British friends live in a democracy or a republic - I'm sure Dana could enlighten us.

Anyway, we don't live under a monarchy or a dictatorship or a totalitarian regime. When I stayed in Latin America for a while, I was amazed at how terrified some of my friends were of their government. They could not speak out freely, elections were rigged and the poverty and suffering were truly horrendous. Most of my South American friends were young professionals with much to contribute, but the current dictatorship was more interested in raking in as many cruzero's as possible and staying in office. The government was NOT interested putting good people to work and doing something about the country's massive economic and hunger problems.

As far as pre-recorded phone calls, the Dems have hounding me to death, but I haven't heard a peep from the Republicans. My state has gone Republican since before the conquistadors arrived. I guess the polls are close enough that the Dems feel that the effort is worth it. My state would make a tasty electoral college tidbit whoever gets it this time around.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 12:05 PM   #26
Maui Nick
... is not really in Maui. Weird, huh?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Undertoad View Post
(semi-true)

Nothingland underpins everything else. (false)
Current events underpin everything else. (semi-true)
Entertainment underpins everything else. (false)
Technology underpins everything else. (true)
The Internet underpins everything else. (semi-true)
Philosophy underpins everything else. (true)
Cities and travel underpins everything else. (semi-true)
Sports underpins everything else. (false)
Food and drink underpins everything else. (true)
Parenting underpins everything else. (definitely true)
Health underpins everything else. (definitely true)
Relationships underpin everything else. (definitely true)
Creative expression underpins everything else. (true)
The Image of the Day underpins everything else. (only semi-true for Cellar)
Quality Images underpin everything else. (false)
Cellar Meta underpins everything else. (only true for Cellar)
Sir, I am incredibly disappointed at the lack of respect for Home Base, which clearly underpins everything else.

Old 10-24-2008, 12:21 PM   #27
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundae Girl View Post
There are certain political issues I wouldn't want to discuss here because I know I'd be in the minority and it's not worth the grief.
Ya know what SG, Very true - Wish I had that foresight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
Damm good post LO, I share your sentiments. It seems to me that each presidential election cycle gets worse. We don't just see things differently in country, we are becoming radically divided. Those who think like you, and those who don't.
Thirded. To bad it has become such a divisive issue - I blame the extremists ON BOTH SIDES.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:25 PM   #28
Cicero
Looking forward to open mic night.

I BLAME THE PEOPLE THAT WRITE IN ALL CAPS. ALL OF THEM.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:51 PM   #29
dar512
dar512 is now Pete Zicato

Why can't they use bold the way God intended?
Old 10-24-2008, 12:53 PM   #30
SamIam

I love ALL CAPS. When I post in ALL CAPS, it genrally means that I am totally enraged and closed to all opinions other than my own. I am working on this, but I've had my lapses - not here, though. That said, I think people are just going to become passionate in an election year. We feel strongly about the issues and we hope to influence the state of our country with our vote. What can be more important? I'd rather see a few free for alls on boards like the Cellar than apathy. Our government should be a matter of deep concern for us all. I am a liberal, but I'd rather see an honest conservative government than I would a liberal one that arose out of the ashes of indifference.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote