The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 10-19-2009, 09:23 PM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

This is D-Day, er, D-Week

Something has to give this week...I really do need to have some sort of income by the end of this week. I don't want to get into all the nitty-gritty details, but I have to be back at work next Monday morning or at least have some sort of income stream.

And I could use your help. I don't want your money...I want your connections, your knowledge, your suggestions, your influence and/or your support. And I'll never ask again after this.

I have 18 years of working experience...my specialties are management, training & development and business analysis. I know some fancy programs, software and hardware, but not as much as IT folks. I have a Bachelors in Psychology and a Masters in Business Management. I'm a hard worker, a quick learner, good with teams or running solo and I don't ask for much. If the pay is worth it, I'll move anywhere in the US or Canada.

The reality of the situation is this: A lot of people don't want to hire a person with a Masters for a job that requires less. They're afraid that such a person will bolt when the market improves. On the other end, you have employers that are incredibly picky...and rightfully so. They want really specific things...and if you don't know them, they can wait for someone that does know.

Which brings me back to retail or delivery. Delivery would be alright, though I'm not seeing a lot of jobs in that field right now. And I wouldn't mind doing retail, except that I can't stand or sit for long periods of time...at least for the foreseeable future.

So there you have it, and there you are. If you can help me, please comment here or send me a private message.

Thank you.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:32 PM   #2
monster
I hear them call the tide

When you say you can't stand or sit for long periods of time, what sort of periods are we talking here, and do you mean you have to be up and down like a yoyo or is there another position you can be in for any period of time? What happens if you are forced to exceed your maximum period for any position?

Are you registered with every agency possible? And Trawling Craiglist regualrly?

After Bruce's thread yesterday about selling old books, i went out for my walk this morning to find all local neighborhoods plastered with flyers from a single dad who wanted to pick up donations of old books -presumably he had seen the same article, maybe you could do something like that?

rake fall leaves (do you have any there yet?) mow lawns if you hav mover access. Walk dogs, babysit, advertise as a "man friday" Any DIY skills? offer home office organization or how about a service ripping people's CD collections into MP3 format/whatever?
Old 10-19-2009, 09:33 PM   #3
jinx
Come on, cat.

I got nuthin', but good luck syc.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

M, I can stand for about 30 minutes at a time...sitting, maybe an hour. When I was delivering pizzas, it worked out well, because I was alternating a lot. And when I was at my last temp assignment, I would get up every 30-45 minutes and walk around the office and stretch my legs.

If I sit for too long, my legs go numb. If I stand too long, my back basically locks up. At a job I did last year, I spent about 7 hours on my feet one day doing dishes...I wound up being out of work for 3 days after that.

If I'm not registered with an agency here, I'm checking their websites for jobs almost daily. I'm on Craigslist every day, though sadly, I've caught 5 posts in 5 weeks that were scamming people.

Thank you for the suggestions...I'm already on trying to sell off my CDs, though not getting a lot of takers recently.
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:50 PM   #5
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

>>Life coaching. You won't believe how many people out there want someone to make up their mind for them. Advertise with indeed.com or craigs list. With your B.A. in psychology you have instant credibility.

Tutoring same as above.

Department Managers
- ( retail ) yes it is a good idea. I would walk right into a store and ask to talk to the director. He/she might twirl their pencil and look fidgety but they probably do have the number to call or the place to put in an application.
( they say that is the way most jobs are found)
Oh and look up indeed.com and craigs list too.
This one is a few days old.
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ofc/1420903147.html

corporate trainer
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hum/

transporter
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/hea/1428561633.html

Like monster said. Babysitting. People need a good babysitter or after school care and I think it can add up to a lot of money.@20 and hour?

These are not much help but I wish you good luck!

(edit)ps. I never trust agency's. I always just look right at the places you might want to works websites.Almost everyone has an job positions link.

Last edited by skysidhe; 10-19-2009 at 10:12 PM.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:59 PM   #6
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by sycamore View Post
I'm already on trying to sell off my CDs, though not getting a lot of takers recently.
there's more money in selling off other people's stuff -especially those who don't have the time to do it themselves
Old 10-19-2009, 10:11 PM   #7
Cloud

Lie. Leave off the advanced degrees if you have to.
Old 10-19-2009, 10:12 PM   #8
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

good idea cloud
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:19 PM   #9
Cloud

I suppose that would throw off the work history, though
Old 10-19-2009, 11:00 PM   #10
SamIam

With the holidays aproaching UPS the Post Office and the like may be hiring people on a temporary basis. That would at least give you six to eight weeks of income while you continue to look for something more permanent. You never know what may happen. Once when I was job hunting, I stopped at a title insurance company only because they had a vacant parking space in front of the building. I went in and asked for a job, and they just so happened to have one. Hang in there.
SamIam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 11:27 PM   #11
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Problem is explaining what you did with that time. If you'r gonna lie, do it properly -admit to the degrees, but claim a relative for whom you care so you need am hourly-paid job close to home rather than a salaried/commute/work 36 hours job, and you forsee you needing that job for several years.
Old 10-19-2009, 11:42 PM   #12
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Temp work in retail or parcel delivery for the festive season.

Can you dress as an elf or even a santa?

I come to your home and fix your computer for you! (for money)
Old 10-20-2009, 06:56 AM   #13
monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
Or claim going back to school and need to support yourself with hourly job for next x years
Old 10-20-2009, 07:01 AM   #14
Perry Winkle
Esnohplad Semaj Ton

http://mt.gov/statejobs/statejobs.asp

The pay isn't great but the living is cheap. If you apply to Dept. of Revenue or Dept. of Administration ITSD I can help you target your application and put in a good word for you.

MT State Government is chronically shorthanded. Even with 7% vacancy targets, the hiring is incessant. I'm not sure if Missouri and Illinois have the same problem.

Probably not your first choice but the benefits are good and it pays the bills.
Perry Winkle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 09:22 AM   #15
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

I just got a flyer a week or two ago that the IRS is starting their massive seasonal hiring drive. Like Perry said, government pay isn't great, but they will hire just about anyone.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote