The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Cellar Meta
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cellar Meta Users, threads, etiquette, posting, usage, forums, why this place matters or doesn't

Old 02-24-2001, 01:04 PM   #1
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It looks like the Cellar is doing pretty well in its latest incarnation. So the next question is how to promote it. Anyone got any unique idears?
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 05:12 PM   #2
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:
Originally posted by Tony Shepps
It looks like the Cellar is doing pretty well in its latest incarnation. So the next question is how to promote it. Anyone got any unique idears?
I'm already on it. ;-) Unfortunately, many of the people I deal with at work are not necessarily internet-savvy. However, your post on phl.media is what got me here in the first place, Tony. So, that seems like the best place to start. In addition, since the Inky just ran a story on how college students that come to school here don't stay, we should bombard the college campuses with flyers/propaganda.

My $.02...I call dibs on Holy Family College first...

--
Sycamore--It's Philadelphia, stupid.
Sycamoreland--http://syc75.tripod.com
ICQ--7810696

The Cellar--check it out, damnit!
http://www.cellar.org
elSicomoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2001, 05:54 PM   #3
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

Never thought of that. U da man. Ursinus is right here... I wonder if its dorms have ethernet!
Old 02-25-2001, 11:55 PM   #4
mbpark
Lecturer

Where to promote?

I think kuro5hin would be a good place to start

Personally, I think posting on slashdot would attract way too many strange folk. And I mean that as a euphemism.

However, I think the mindset of most of those users is above drooling linux fiend, so it may work

Mitch

mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 07:31 PM   #5
jarett
Neophyte-in-training

How I found the site

I'm new to this site, but perhaps the method by which I found it might help. I was browsing Slashdot this afternoon, when I read a post which, surprise surprise, had an excellent point, and intelligent wording. I think that was a post by Tony (not too sure about the name, apologies!), so I decided to take a look over here.

After reading the FAQ and history, I thought it would be an interesting place to poke around on. I lurked through a few threads, and.. here I am.

It would be nice if there were more posters here, and I suppose the way to do that is to advertise by continuing with the posts on Slashdot and maybe Kuro5hin.

Cheers,
Jarett

Old 03-07-2001, 07:38 PM   #6
mbpark
Lecturer

Slashdot :)

Heya there!

Just got off your page. Am definately a big fan of it (and I have a friend at UoM also!).

I made that slashdot comment because it seems most of their users are fitting the typical archetype of people I avoid in real life, namely the fat, cynical, trolling, linux d00dz that make reading posts painful.

However, I've been talking to a couple of old people (catty especially, but he's got some thing about using this in a web format and still thinks you have to call it too) and telling 'em it's back online, and talking to my rather esoteric group of friends about it also. It's a cool place (and I've been calling or posting for almost 10 years now, and I'm one of the NEWER people )

MBP
mbpark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2001, 11:25 PM   #7
jarett
Neophyte-in-training

>Just got off your page. Am definately a big fan of it (and >I have a friend at UoM also!).

Wow! A fan? You are, most definitely, the first. I wonder if I know your friend - it seems very unlikely, but..

>I made that slashdot comment because it seems most of >their users are fitting the typical archetype of people I >avoid in real life, namely the fat, cynical, trolling, >linux d00dz that make reading posts painful.

I took no offense to your comment, rather I do agree with you at least partially. Although I don't know any Slashdotter's personally (my friends are not technically-inclined), I would imagine there are a fair number of interesting, non-d00dz. Nevertheless, these special few don't seem to post often.

While I like a lot of things about Linux, I don't like tiresome evangelizing.

Anyway, thanks for the reply and the commentary. I have a suspicion that I'm going to enjoy The Cellar.

All the best,
Jarett
Old 03-12-2001, 05:56 PM   #8
Cerebus
Dog O'Nine Tails

Step into my office.

First things first: we gotta get some VC. Our pitch is that we're never going to make money, but that's OK, because we're going to lose it very, very slowly. So the Cellar will help the rest of their porfolios look good by comparison, since the company will never have layoffs, earnings warnings or bankruptcy.

Second, we create a virus with the name "A Sexy Picture I Wanted To Send To You Without Consequence, No Foolin'." Once people open it, they receive the collected wit and wisdom of infamous old-time Philly BBS folks like Mike Smith, Joel Silverstein and Barak. (This will not, in fact, create any more readership for the Cellar, but it will make a limited number of people laugh their fool heads off, which is probably more important.)

Third, we make a TV spot promoting our special brand of smash-mouth, all-access message posting. We scape up the 28 cents necessary to buy the XFL championship halftime show, where we reunite BeatleMania. (I call dibs on Lennon.)

After our set, Tony (playing Paul) and I get into a huge fake brawl, where the evil Yoko (still to be cast with someone with more bankroll than sense, Ed Wood-style) gives me the upper hand by shrieking at Tony until he's rendered unconscious. I then bash Tony over the head with a steel chair, and he spells out "CELLAR.ORG" in blood on the field as the camera fades to black.

Next week, we get aggressive.

Old 03-12-2001, 07:36 PM   #9
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

You have once again outdone yourself, sir. I love the "Penn and Teller" style reveal! (Is THIS your card?)