The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Cellar-related > Archives > Philadelphia
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philadelphia Home to many Cellar users: the city of neighborhoods

Old 02-11-2001, 09:12 AM   #1
elSicomoro
Person who doesn't update the user title

Since we started talking about it on another thread...

Where have you had the best cheesesteaks? I'm curious to see what the natives say...plus I'm looking for new places to try. Here are some of my faves thus far:

Philip's--24th and Passyunk, S. Philly
Jimmy's--Ridge Ave. & Vassar St., Roxborough
Geno's--9th and Passyunk, S. Philly
The lunch cart at the SW corner of 19th and Chestnut, Center City
Pizza Fresh--9227 Frankford Ave., Torresdale
Speedy's--Fairdale and Woodhaven Rds., Far Northeast (This place also makes a great White Pizza!)
Old 02-23-2001, 05:23 PM   #2
BrianR
Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Cool decent cheesesteak

I'm teaching a guy from NY who runs a diner here to make a cheesesteak. He's almost got it. He chops the meat now, doesn't put onions or peppers on without asking and uses Cheez Whiz (My preference, sorry). The rolls just aren't up to snuff but that's not his fault. I'm helping him by testing various bakeries offerings in that dept until I find one that's close enough.

And now they're only $4.50. Down from $7.95 for an eight inch sandwich. I was outraged but saw a willing student.
He learns!

I miss you alll and will be up in June or sooner if I can make it with one hand.

Brian
Old 03-17-2001, 10:30 PM   #3
elSicomoro

Since I work over in Society Hill now, I finally had a chance to go to Ishkabibble's over on South Street. And I must say, their cheesesteaks are fabulous. The chunks of chicken took some getting used to, but overall, it was fabulous. I highly recommend a chicken cheesesteak with mayo and ketchup. Well worth $5.50.
Old 03-17-2001, 11:07 PM   #4
Cerebus
Dog O'Nine Tails

Pat's. One, wiz, wit.

Yes, I know, it's cold, people are rude, you had one that wasn't good, the roll was stale, it's always so crowded, the counter looks unsanitary and it's just overrated. Now shut up before some extra from "The Sopranos" slaps you, and read the subject line again. Everything else is pfah.

After that, waddle down to Nifty Fifty's and get the black forest milkshake with real cherry chunks. Total cost: about $9 ($10 with tip, ya cheap bastard) and, oh, enough fat and grease to make you feel queasy for 48 hours.

Thanks to the wonders of Rojoz wraps and In N Out Burger (along with the most perfect advertising ever, and the increasingly good food of Jack in the Box), I don't miss 'em. Much. Besides, cheesesteaks and other junk food are for people who don't have that post-30 belly to look out for, as well as the Small Learning Human that really needs to eat her vegetables. (Mmm. Vegetables.) Last and not least, that $9 goes a lot farther at the grocery store. (Disposable income? What's that?)
Old 03-18-2001, 12:52 AM   #5
elSicomoro

To each his own...

Quote:
Originally posted by Cerebus
Yes, I know, it's cold, people are rude, you had one that wasn't good, the roll was stale, it's always so crowded, the counter looks unsanitary and it's just overrated. Now shut up before some extra from "The Sopranos" slaps you, and read the subject line again. Everything else is pfah.
Eww, eww, eww. Hehe :-)

Quote:
After that, waddle down to Nifty Fifty's and get the black forest milkshake with real cherry chunks. Total cost: about $9 ($10 with tip, ya cheap bastard) and, oh, enough fat and grease to make you feel queasy for 48 hours.
And then, waddle across the street to CVS for some Rolaids. Don't forget to say hi to Johnny, the guy with the Carhartt jacket that asks for change. (I liked working at that store...he's as much a part of that neighborhood as Pat's.)

Quote:
Thanks to the wonders of Rojoz wraps and In N Out Burger (along with the most perfect advertising ever, and the increasingly good food of Jack in the Box), I don't miss 'em. Much.
Damn you! Mentioning Jack-in-the-Box. God I miss that place. :-(

Ah, I remember the days of getting up around 9ish, rolling over to the Box for 3 tacos and a sourdough breakfast sandwich, then going to class.

I really need to get back to St. Louis soon...I need some toasted ravioli too...

And BTW...whoohoo! Post # 100!!!
Old 05-27-2001, 02:00 AM   #6
Rogue Winter
Writer of Writings

Re: decent cheesesteak

Quote:
Originally posted by BrianR
[b]I'm teaching a guy from NY who runs a diner here to make a cheesesteak. He's almost got it. He chops the meat now, doesn't put onions or peppers on without asking and uses Cheez Whiz (My preference, sorry). The rolls just aren't up to snuff but that's not his fault. I'm helping him by testing various bakeries offerings in that dept until I find one that's close enough.

And now they're only $4.50. Down from $7.95 for an eight inch sandwich. I was outraged but saw a willing student.
He learns!/B]
Is the "here" where he runs the diner here in New York? Give the location of this joint! I'm tired of only getting a cheesesteak if I'm visiting my parents.