The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Images > Quality Images and Videos
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Quality Images and Videos Post your own images and videos of your own days

Old 11-28-2006, 08:10 AM   #1
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

How come there aren't more pictures of jinx' beaver on the net?

Well, huh...how come?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:15 PM   #2
Elspode
When Do I Get Virtual Unreality?

Damn thing keeps cowering back into its den during daylight hours, that's why.
Old 11-28-2006, 01:43 PM   #3
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Perhaps Jinx thought better shots might be achieved later in the season, when there was less foliage?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:48 PM   #4
Shawnee123

And when the fauna might hibernate?
Old 11-28-2006, 01:52 PM   #5
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Good Lord Shawnee, are you suggesting Jinx's beaver is infested?
Old 11-28-2006, 02:03 PM   #6
Shawnee123

Well, lots of things can hide and grow in foliage. Much depends on if we are speaking of a simple weed whacking process or full-blown clear cutting. Also, large scale clearance of native vegetation leads to increased greenhouse emissions. Or so I've heard.

(Jinx...just messing with you. I think you're a dear, but I couldn't resist the whole foliage/flora fauna thing)
Old 11-28-2006, 02:09 PM   #7
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123
Also, large scale clearance of native vegetation leads to increased greenhouse emissions. Or so I've heard.
I think you have that backwards. unless you're talking about trees or something.
lumberjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 02:19 PM   #8
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

Perhaps you could clarify LJ - have you ever caught crabs in the vicinity? Thinking of the fishing pier of course.
Old 11-28-2006, 02:59 PM   #9
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

it is a fresh water lake, i assure you. as pristine and clear and free from greenhouse emmisions as ever there could be.

you do realize that you're all dead as soon as she comes home, i hope?
Old 11-28-2006, 03:05 PM   #10
Shawnee123

Really, Jinx...please don't kill me!
Old 11-28-2006, 03:41 PM   #11
Elspode

Hey...*I'm* only referring to the giant furry rodent, here. The other two are the ones who're making an art form out of double entendre.
Old 11-28-2006, 03:52 PM   #12
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elspode
Hey...*I'm* only referring to the giant furry rodent, here.
Mustelid
Old 11-28-2006, 04:21 PM   #13
Elspode

These are the kinds of things that can happen to you when you're too lazy to Google something. sheesh...
Old 11-28-2006, 04:30 PM   #14
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

Mustelidae

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Jump to: navigation, search
iMustelidae
Longtail Weasel
Scientific classification Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Mammalia
Order: Carnivora
Family: Mustelidae
G. Fischer de Waldheim, 1817 Subfamilies Lutrinae
Melinae
Mellivorinae
Taxidiinae
Mustelinae
Mustelidae (from Latin mustela, weasel) is a family of carnivorous mammals. The family Mustelidae is among the most diverse families in the order Carnivora [citation needed].
Contents

[hide]//
[edit] Variety

Mustelids range from the Least weasel, not much larger than a mouse, which can live in the high Arctic; to the wolverine, a 50 pound (23 kg) animal that can dispatch reindeer, crush bones as thick as the femur of a moose to get at the marrow, and has been known to drive bears from kills; to the ratel, which has a unique symbiosis with a bird called the honey guide bird; to the tropical, largely fruit-eating tayra; to the aquatic otters. Other mustelids include mink, badgers, weasels, polecats, zorilla, and martens.
Mustelidae is one of the most species-rich families in order Carnivora, as well as one of the older ones. Mustelid-like forms have existed for the past 40 million years and roughly coincided with the appearance of rodents.

[edit] Characteristics

Several members of the family are aquatic to varying degrees, ranging from the semi-aquatic mink, the river otters, and the highly aquatic sea otter. The Sea otter is also the only non-primate mammal known to use a tool while foraging. It uses "anvil" stones to crack open the shellfish that form a significant part of its diet. It is a "keystone species," keeping its prey populations in balance so some do not outcompete the others and they do not destroy the kelp in which they live.
Just as otters are adapted to swimming, several groups of badgers are adapted to digging. Many species of badgers and otters have evolved social groupings.
The fisher has a unique system to kill porcupines: it attacks the porcupine's face until the animal is so weak it can be flipped over, giving the fisher access to the porcupine's vulnerable belly. In some areas porcupines form as much as a quarter of the fisher's diet.
The Least weasel, adapted for eating small rodents such as mice and voles, reproduces up to three times a year (unusual for carnivores, who typically reproduce annually) to take advantage of the fluctuations in rodent populations. Because of its small body size and fast metabolism it must eat every few hours to survive, so it runs through multiple cycles of sleep and wakefulness every day.
Many mustelids have scent glands which they use as defense against predators. The most developed of these were found in skunks (Mephitinae), which were moved into a new family, Mephitidae, following a convincing paper (Dragoo and Honeycutt, 1997, Journal of Mammalology, 78(2): 426-443), that somewhat reorganized these two families based on DNA analyses.
Some mustelids have exquisite furs which have been valuable for many centuries—the mink, the sable (a type of marten) and the ermine (stoat) are all members of the family. This has led to the hunting of these animals, especially in the past. One species, the Sea mink (Mustela macrodon) of New England and Canada, was driven to extinction by fur trappers around the same time that the Passenger pigeon was declining. Its appearance and habits are almost unknown because no complete specimens can be found and no systematic studies were conducted. Today, some mustelids are in trouble for other reasons. The Sea otter, who almost shared the fate of the Sea mink, now risks being destroyed by oil spills and the side effects of overfishing; the Black-footed ferret, a relative of the European polecat, suffers from the disappearance of the American prairie; and the wolverine is in a long, slow decline because of habitat destruction and persecution.
Ferrets, where they are legal, are kept as pets in many households.
Mongooses and meerkats bear a lot of resemblance to Mustelidae but belong to a different family - Herpestidae.

Beavers are semi-aquatic rodents native to North America and Europe. They are the only living members of the family Castoridae, which contains a single genus, Castor. Genetic research has shown the European and North American beaver populations to be distinct species and that hybridization is unlikely.
Old 11-28-2006, 04:31 PM   #15
lumberjim
I can hear my ears

you must have been thinking of badgers, foot...and although jinx once referred to it as her 'otter'......she's never called it her badger. that would have frightened me.