The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 05-17-2007, 12:28 AM   #1
Torrere
a real smartass

[blockquote]“The intellectual vitality of conservatism in the 21st century will depend on the success of conservatives in appealing to advances in the biology of human nature as confirming conservative thought.”[/blockquote]

Yuck. That sounds like "I want to cherry pick the facts to support my beliefs instead of using the facts to develop my beliefs."

The rest of it sounds good, though. Now we just need for the left to support evolution as well -- it seems like both the loony right (the religious fanatics) and the loony left (the marxists) hate evolution and evolutionary psychology because it undermines some of their pet ideologies. The marxists hate it because it suggests that individual self-interest and conflicts of interest are inherent to the human condition and the theocrats hate it because it doesn't explicitly require the existence of God.

Whatever. If the loony left thinks that evolutionary psychology is a demon from the right and the loony right thinks that evolution is a demon from the left, then it sounds good and moderate to me.
Torrere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2007, 06:28 AM   #2
Griff
still says videotape

I really don't get the anti-evolutionary psych crowd (unless as you suggest ideology trumps science). From what I've read on it, it just makes sense.
Griff is offline   Reply With Quote