The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Current Events
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Current Events Help understand the world by talking about things happening in it

Old 09-03-2005, 03:19 PM   #1
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

Why didn't Hollywood save New Orleans?

I am just curious as to why we haven't heard anything from the likes of Sean Penn, Babs Streisand, Tim Robbins, Angelina Jolie, George Clooney, and the likes with the situation in New Orleans. They squawked and squawked about how bad the war was and blah, blah, blah, but now that we have a real emergency in our own Nation you don't hear a word from Hollywood. Why aren't the Hollywood Lefties forking over some of that "hard earned" cash they love giving away to foreign nations so much to help Americans? Or is helping out your own nation just not hip enough for their crowd? I don't get it. I mean they didn't even go on television to criticize W. for anything about it. Maybe they kept their mouths shut because if they did say anything people would start asking if they were going to help. I don't know. Something is rotten in New Orleans.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:28 PM   #2
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

You're out of town and all, so here.

I watched about 30 mins today. Aaron Neville sang "Amazing Grace", it was beautiful.
Old 09-03-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
warch
lurkin old school

More benefits scheduled Mr. Tinfoil. Sheesh. Find something real to be outraged by.
I agree with you, Mr. Gun, that something is rotten in New Orleans, but its someone's grandma sitting in her 5th day of human waste under 100 deg temps, not Streisand's checkbook.

You will be gratified to know that during the live telethon Friday (before the military arrived) rapper Kayne West, of his own brand of tin foil/frustration/horror/rich guilt, ranted emotionally about the dying saying that "Bush hates black people." Maybe you can use that. Enjoy.
warch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 08:50 PM   #4
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by warch
You will be gratified to know that during the live telethon Friday (before the military arrived) rapper Kayne West, of his own brand of tin foil/frustration/horror/rich guilt, ranted emotionally about the dying saying that "Bush hates black people."
Maybe he does. Maybe he does not. But based upon the actions and promises of George Jr during this week in New Orleans and Washington DC, can you show me a single fact - a single act - that says he does not hate blacks? Regardless of whether the statement is true or not, bottom line - George Jr did not one act to dispell that hypothesis. George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.

Just the facts. Actions are the bottom line. Show me where George Jr did anything last week to dispell the rumors of racism. Show me. Even Laura Bush went to a Louisiana town that suffered no damage - Lafayette LA. Something about finding a more white town that was not denied food and water for four days? A racist would have done that.

At no time did I say George Jr is racist. But show us one action this last week that can dispell rumors. His actions were what a racist would have done.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 10:34 AM   #5
OnyxCougar
Junior Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.

This racist propaganda is really starting to irritate me.

Don't listed to Jesse Jackson and Keynes. There are white people that are starving and dying, and creoles starving and dying and hispanics and chinese and all kinds of other people dying too.

NEWS FLASH:::

IT'S NOT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!!

It's about poor, sick, old and stupid people.

Those come in all flavors.

Please, stop buying into the race issue. It's not there. It's more a class issue.

Impotentes defendere libertatem non possunt.

"Repetition does not transform a lie into a truth."
~Franklin D. Roosevelt
OnyxCougar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:21 PM   #6
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
George Jr did numerous actions to encourage the "He hates blacks" assumption. #1 on my list is all that food, water, and medicine that was not delivered by Air Force One.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar
Then don't respond with emotion (ie "irritate me"). Deal with the facts - bluntly. Show me where the president did one action to demonstrate he was not racist. Not one reason exists to believe this is an accusation of racism. To believe otherwise is to take what was posted completely out of context. It is a simple statement. Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic. Show me.

Last edited by tw; 09-04-2005 at 06:27 PM.
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 06:36 PM   #7
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic. Show me.
um...he kissed two really attractive and recently washed black girls?

Too easy.
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2005, 02:11 AM   #8
NICOTINEGUN
Resident President

The Hurrican Machine: Black People Beware!!!!

TW said: "Show me where the president did one action to demonstrate he was not racist."

"Show me one action by George Jr during this New Orleans disaster that could demonstrate he was not a racist. It is a simple question of logic that requires a simple answer in logic."

TW, it sounds like you are saying W. has to prove he isn't a racist before he proves he is one. Maybe I am wrong here, but that is what I read. If that is what you are saying, show me one thing that says W. is a racist. And don't give me the typical "he hasn't done anything for black people, blah, blah, blah." I can show you Robert Bird (sp) is a racist. You have to prove you aren't something in order to not be accused of it from the start? Maybe I misunderstood your post. Maybe I'm off the lane here, but what you wrote sounded like that. Correct me if I'm wrong.
I still think the Bush Administration created a machine that can create and manipulate hurricanes and did so in New Orleans to specifically target the black community. That's racist, Man. Can you believe an administration would do that? It's horrible

Last edited by NICOTINEGUN; 09-05-2005 at 06:03 AM.
NICOTINEGUN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2005, 09:52 PM   #9
marichiko

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnyxCougar

Don't listed to Jesse Jackson and Keynes. There are white people that are starving and dying, and creoles starving and dying and hispanics and chinese and all kinds of other people dying too.

NEWS FLASH:::

IT'S NOT ABOUT BLACK PEOPLE!!

It's about poor, sick, old and stupid people.

Those come in all flavors.

Please, stop buying into the race issue. It's not there. It's more a class issue.

Earth to La La Land. Race and class are still inexticably meshed in today's United States. And just how many white and Chinese people did you see on the evening news awaiting rescue? Hello?

And you brought it up, not me, by the way. But since you mention it...
Old 09-05-2005, 12:11 AM   #10
marichiko

Oh, yeah, BTW, if its a class issue that makes it better? HUH? What, the poor deserve to die and the rich get to live?
Old 09-03-2005, 04:54 PM   #11
Happy Monkey
I think this line's mostly filler.

Actually, he said Bush doesn't care about Black people.
|_______________| [pics]
Happy Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 04:56 PM   #12
wolf
lobber of scimitars

The stars will arrive after the waters have receded and the shooting stops. Wouldn't want to break a nail. Are those guys packing to move to France yet? They promised!

Edit to add: I don't look to Hollywood for public policy decisionmaking, and I don't look to Washington for acting tips.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 09-03-2005 at 04:58 PM.
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2005, 06:14 PM   #13
BigV
Goon Squad Leader

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
--clip--
Edit to add: I don't look to Hollywood for public policy decisionmaking, and I don't look to Washington for acting tips.
Boy, do you have that backwards. There is more acting and media awareness and spin and selling in Washington DC than there is in Hollywood CA.
Old 09-04-2005, 10:26 AM   #14
jinx
Come on, cat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolf
And where did Reagan fit in your philosophy? Schwarzenegger? Ventura?

Viggo Mortensen
Old 09-03-2005, 05:23 PM   #15
warch
lurkin old school

What do you look to Washington for?
warch is offline   Reply With Quote