The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Home Base
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Home Base A starting point, and place for threads don't seem to belong anywhere else

Old 02-04-2011, 09:58 PM   #1
monster
I hear them call the tide

OMG SG!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-12372097

what is this crap? they hold you up forever and then scrap the fucking thing?
This is what you were waiting on forever, right? What a fiasco. OK I guess this should be in current affairs, but it isn't, so sue me. After you've got your "messing with monster" background checks......
Old 02-05-2011, 04:51 AM   #2
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

No, it's okay - it was already being reviewed when I applied. The VBS was actually a lower level check than the CRB and lower still than the Enhanced CRB (which was the one which held me up for over 3 months).

The VRB was always contentious, it created an enormous amount of paperwork for people who only saw children incidentally (once a month!), never in isolation and were never in a position to pose any threat. Also, the vast majority of abuse happens within the home or by people within the family's close inner circle (neighbour/ best friend/ partner of family member etc) and even these draconian measures would not prevent that.

I am classified as having "intensive contact with the young" so my Enhanced CRB is still deemed necessary. And I do agree that it is. Just not that it should take so bloody long!
Old 02-05-2011, 07:54 AM   #3
monster

Way too long. And way too complex by the sounds of it. Ah well. Did you have to be fingerprinted?
Old 02-07-2011, 03:51 AM   #4
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by monster View Post
Did you have to be fingerprinted?
I spent an hour or so at Immigration today and was electronically fingerprinted for the first time (all fingers and thumbs). I was pretty impressed with the technology. Does anyone know if they do electronic fingerprinting in most countries now?
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:50 AM   #5
Big Sarge
Werepandas - lurking in your shadows

afis systems are becoming the norm in many developed nations. Besides scanning your prints, it can also compare them for identification within the database. We started using them in our jails in my area back in 1997
Old 02-07-2011, 07:17 AM   #6
monster

Yes, they're use here for background checks and immigration.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:38 AM   #7
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

I certainly didn't have it here - neither did my brother, who works for HM Treasury.
Perhaps it's yet to reach us...
Old 02-07-2011, 09:09 AM   #8
monster

Soooo.... how was your first day???????????

Nosy people need to know!
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 AM   #9
Sundae
polaroid of perfection

It was good fun.
Super short!

So far my work pattern has been suggested as:
09.00-12.00 12.30-13.30
09.00-12.00 12.30-13.30
09.00-12.00 12.30-13.00
09.00-12.00 12.30-14.30 (Tiger cub sees the speech therapist this afternoon)
09.00-12.00 12.30-13.00

This may be rejigged - it's to make sure I'm available to cover half of the lunchbreak as he has little idea of physical danger.
At least his bright coat is easy to spot in the playground.

This week I will be working with the whole class, but making sure to work with and observe Tiger. I haven't been introduced specifically to him or to the class as his one-on-one support yet - just as a new Teaching Assistant. I'll go through things on Thursday with the therapist and start learning what support he needs and how best I can deliver that.
Today was a short session of numeracy (heavier and lighter), then Jack and the Beanstalk story and discussion (their current theme). After break we had PE, which with getting changed before and after took us nicely up to lunch. I forget how young they are, the lessons are SO different in structure and intensity and much of the day is spent "choosing" - where the children not working directly with the teacher can choose to write, read or play in the role play area.

Still, I know there will be plenty to focus on once I start working with him directly.
Sundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Oh SG that sounds great. I know short days = short pay, but it's easing you back into a daily routine, which can be a bit of a strain if you're out of practice
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 AM   #11
Big Sarge

like i said, afis is used in developed nations. lol
Old 02-07-2011, 10:32 AM   #12
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

We have afis :p we just don't use it for CRB checks.

Despite the push from the last government to try and build a nationwide DNA and fingerprint database, and despite the fact that DNA is now taken if you are taken in for questioning, regardless of whether or not charges are then pressed: we still frown on fingerprinting people who are not suspects.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 11:40 PM   #13
Big Sarge

You take DNA but don't collect fingerprints when running a back ground check. That's odd. We only take DNA if you are convicted of a sex crime or under court order as part of an investigation. Other states have passed laws mandating the collection of DNA in felony arrests
Old 02-08-2011, 05:13 AM   #14
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

No, sorry I explained that badly :p We don't take DNA or finger prints for a back ground check. yet. Give us fucking time and we'll all be DNA'd and finger printed before you know it.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 06:05 AM   #15
sexobon
I love it when a plan comes together.

Yours isn't the only country with DNA recording concerns: Newborn DNA Sent to U.S. Military for Law Enforcement Database without Parent Consent

I had to learn to read fingerprints manually, what a pain, thank goodness those days are gone.
sexobon is offline   Reply With Quote