The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Politics
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Politics Where we learn not to think less of others who don't share our views

Old 10-10-2008, 07:30 PM   #1
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

ACORN

What the hell were these people thinking. Do they not realize how bad this makes the process look? I wonder how many people were actually registered as Republickins and how many were registered as Demoncrats. And people think that there was fraud when Bush was elected. If Obama gets the nod people are going to make the issues with Bush look like child play.

1 VOTER, 72 REGISTRATIONS
'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS'

http://www.nypost.com/seven/10102008...ons_132965.htm

Missouri officials suspect fake voter registration

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081009/...ge/voter_fraud

The State Auditor's Office conducted an audit of the voter registration system at the Secretary of State's Office last November.

Auditors identified 49,049 registered voters state-wide who may have been ineligible to vote. Approximately 23,576 may have been deceased and another 23,114 were possible felons. And they found more than 2,359 duplicate records.

http://www.click2houston.com/investi...75/detail.html
Old 10-10-2008, 08:09 PM   #2
tw
Read? I only know how to write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
1 VOTER, 72 REGISTRATIONS
'ACORN PAID ME IN CASH & CIGS'
How does ACORN register anyone. All they can do is provide a voter registration card and maybe deliver the completed card to the voter registration board. Only the citizen and voter registration board can register that citizen. Or does it work differently in some states?

You fill out the form, sign it, and mail it (or have it delivered) to the voter registration board. That board either registers you to vote or rejects you. How does ACORN get involved other than give you a blank form and beg you to fill it out?
tw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
TheMercenary

And then ACORN submits the form for you. Walla, you are registered. There are registration drives all over the country. The Dems are targeting rock concerts a lot lately. We had a community music fest that lasted 4 days. They were at every event.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:50 PM   #4
lookout123
changed his status to single

ACORN is a dirty nasty organization that I've personally had the displeasure of dealing with. They took Jesse Jackson's business model to the next level.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:10 AM   #5
ZenGum
Doctor Wtf

Is ACORN handing out enrollment forms at rock concerts any different (ethically) from the behavior of that Southern Christian college (I forget then name) which we discussed elsewhere, of doing everything they could to get their students voting?

Seriously folks, I'm just asking for information, or at least informed opinion. What rules are being broken, how, and by whom?

Down Under, enrollment is compulsory and the Australian Electoral Commission has frequent media campaigns (especially before elections) to encourage people to sign up. They have info at most government offices and do other outreach stuff. It is completely non-partisan.
I think the left-er of our two main parties does sometimes have enrollment encouragement drives since younger voters tend to be left. It's not a big thing. Don't think handing out cigarettes would work too well for their image, though.
Old 10-11-2008, 07:14 AM   #6
TheMercenary

I think when you sign up the same guy 72 times and use different names and pay him to sign up, that might be a problem. I could be wrong but.....
Old 10-11-2008, 09:04 AM   #7
lookout123
changed his status to single

My personal experience involves them contacting a company I worked for and demanding a shakedown check, "to help minority homeowners". The company refused.

-Their people contacting mortgage holders with hispanic last names and telling them if they'll go to court and say they didn't know english when they signed loan docs, they might not have to repay their loans.

-Their people paraded in front of our buildings wearing shark costumes

-They worked with the press and named individual loan officers and lied about the events.

-They prepped clients who were perfectly fluent in english to go into court and say only, "no habla".

-Then when the company finally handed over more than $200,000,000 to make the press stop, very little of it went to our actual former clients

Then they moved on to the next company. I'd like to see anyone associated with that organization die a very slow and painful death.
Old 10-11-2008, 09:18 AM   #8
TheMercenary

I didn't know that they were that diverse in thier illegal acitons. Sounds just like PUSH and Jessie Jackson.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:21 AM   #9
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMercenary View Post
I think when you sign up the same guy 72 times and use different names and pay him to sign up, that might be a problem. I could be wrong but.....
If you sign up the same guy 72 times, the same voter registration board registers him to vote only once. Where is the problem? Apparently the guy is making money off Acorn by sending in the same form 72 times. No problem. In November, he can still only vote once.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:25 AM   #10
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

Good point, tw.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #11
tw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shawnee123 View Post
Good point, tw.
However I made the same point in yesterday's post #2. Why does this post say anything different?
Old 10-11-2008, 11:38 AM   #12
Shawnee123
Why, you're a regular Alfred E Einstein, ain't ya?

My job precludes me reading every single post and hanging on to every word. You egocentric goof. Mostly, I felt this last post was more succinct and got right to the point.
Old 10-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #13
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
How does ACORN register anyone. All they can do is provide a voter registration card and maybe deliver the completed card to the voter registration board. Only the citizen and voter registration board can register that citizen. Or does it work differently in some states?

You fill out the form, sign it, and mail it (or have it delivered) to the voter registration board. That board either registers you to vote or rejects you. How does ACORN get involved other than give you a blank form and beg you to fill it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by tw
If you sign up the same guy 72 times, the same voter registration board registers him to vote only once. Where is the problem? Apparently the guy is making money off Acorn by sending in the same form 72 times. No problem. In November, he can still only vote once.
It's just a question of writing style. The second quote makes it much more clear what you're trying to say.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:00 PM   #14
Undertoad
Radical Centrist

It does sort of bollix things up at the always-undermanned voter registration board, when they have to account for your load of crap.
Undertoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2008, 12:14 PM   #15
TheMercenary

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw View Post
According to the news reports they are not using the same name or address, they are changing the names and or address each time. What they have effectively done is placed the Sec of State to have to verify a flood of names. I think they should withhold all election results til after the names have been verified after the polls close. It may take a few weeks (again) to find out who won, but it would eliminate this fraud.