The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Cities and Travel
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Cities and Travel Tell us about where you are; tell us about where you want to be

Old 03-28-2006, 10:41 AM   #1
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

airport customs officials

Cycledefrance's anecdote on air travel brought to mind an experience of mine that soured me on US Customs forever.
I was on my way to Germany to visit a friend. My itiniery was: Indianapollis- Chicago- Schiphol- Munchen.
On the _jetway_ at Chicago- you know, while I'm trying to get on the fucking airplane?- I notice four very disreputable looking men accosting my fellow travellers. One of them accosted me. He pulled from his dirty sweatshirt a US Customs Service Badge and identified himself, saying," If you have less than 10,000 dollars, you need not declare it. So how much are you carrying?" I paused for a moment in disbelief; If I don't have to declare, why are you asking me to declare? I answered him, feeling testy, " less than 10,000 dollars." The redoubtable agent of the United States expression slowly changed, I could see in his eyes a growing pleasure at having a citizen he could jerk around with his unconstitutional search and seizure. Realizing that I did not want to delay my flight and I lacked the finances to fight this battle in court, I folded like the playing card that I am.
Contrast this experience with my departure form Europe two weeks later at Schiphol.
The Dutch Customs Service put twelve uniformed agents at portable podia, all of whom spoke More than one language, Three hours before departure time, ensuring that everyone was treated in a very civilized fashion. NOw the questions where identicle. The experience was worlds apart.
Europe good, US bad.
And their beer's better too.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:01 AM   #2
glatt

The worst border crossing I've ever had was when I was returning to the US from Frankfurt. The fucking hassles my wife and I had to go through with a ton of luggage and two toddlers in tow was enough to make me want to turn into a terrorist. It was all at the hands of the TSA. I don't remember all the details, but we got searched multiple times in that one airport. Every opportunity there was for us to get pulled aside for a special search, we got the special search. I swear, there was probably a memo sent around that morning saying that all families with young children must be given extra scrutiny.

I've crossed a lot of borders in my life, before and since, and I still get mad when I think about that experience. We had a 3 hour layover in that airport, and we just barely made the plane.
glatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2006, 12:53 PM   #3
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

TSA bullshit

I sometimes have to travel on less than an hours' notice to go fix airpanes. Every time, I get the "special treatment". Then they give me shit because I want to bring my butane soldering torch.
Old 03-30-2006, 01:43 PM   #4
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Technically, you can't be forced to provide identification in order to board an aircraft.

...of course, technically, you can be arrested for carrying more than $10,000 on the street these days. Large somes of money, these days, cannot exist in cash form.

Sigh.
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 01:53 PM   #5
wolf
lobber of scimitars

One of my friends does not cary any government issued ID, even to the extent of not having a driver's license, despite the personal inconvience of such a choice.

He had a heck of a time trying to renew a post office box last year, despite the Postmaster of the branch he has used for the last 20 or so years knowing him.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2006, 02:41 PM   #6
hideouse
Coronation Incarnate

Quote:
Originally Posted by glatt
The worst border crossing I've ever had was when I was returning to the US from Frankfurt.
oddly enough, on the return trip from Schiphol I was waved through customs, carrying twelve or fifteen liters (i forget) of alcoholic beverages that I expected to have to pay a tariff for. Love that Berentzen's!