The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Philosophy
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Philosophy Religions, schools of thought, matters of importance and navel-gazing

Old 02-23-2005, 09:39 AM   #16
russotto
Professor

I apparently exist to pick on vegans and furriners.
russotto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2005, 09:53 PM   #17
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dunlavy
Well said, Brown. My life.... although seemingly meaningless is to help those around me. Those who deserve such help that is. A soulwatcher if you will. I give love and take pain, and all in all, I am respected for it. It is what I do, and what I will be doing till this body fails to exist any longer.
Dun, I thought you were a young man. However, your statement seems wise for a youngster. In my opinion, you will not find love without pain. As long as you continue to help others, you will be repected. The only question I have; is what you mean when you say "those that deservre such help." I hope you meant those who really need help, for who are we to say who deserves help.
Anyway a profound statement, that not many can honestly say is a driving force in their life..........
Old 02-24-2005, 11:29 PM   #18
lookout123
changed his status to single

well, love is pain and pain is love. who can cause you pain if you do not hold some degree of love for them? really. if you care nothing about a persons regard for you how can their thoughts, words, actions cause you pain? and if you don't hold much stock in their thoughts, words, actions - do you hold love for them?

for me? i consider my reason for existence to be my son. in mymind i am here to raise him to be a better man than i can ever hope to be. to paraphrase a certain Mr Pacino - i always new the right path, but i have invariably chosen the wrong one. i hope to raise my son to be a better man. a better human.

beyond that i hope to brighten someone's day. may that be my assistant who has no living family, my son who has no other father, my parents who have no other son, the man on the corner who i bought lunch, my client who lost his wife to a sudden illness... someone. everyday.

i don't believe in ka, karma, or luck. i do believe that there is a certain point where all credibility is shot. i believe there comes a point where "i" can no longer be the one to make a difference. i believe my actions have a consequence. i believe there comes a point where i can no longer be used in a truly meaningful way - so i must hope to impact the lives of those that have not passed that mile marker, whatever it may be.

that is what i believe.
Old 02-25-2005, 10:10 AM   #19
Kitsune
still eats dirt

Here's why. (good read)
Kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 05:11 PM   #20
finding_nirvana
Sibling of the Commonweal

I like this thread, such an interrogatory thread for such suicidal people, I agree with some of the others I've read, we are here just for the sake of breeding and keeping the species going, the delicate balance depends on just that, balance, and while we're here, we can make things good before we go. I hope to see more posts coming from this thread, good ones

"You are an odd little boy, but I suppose... as our mothers have always told us, atleast my mother told me 'always try new things'."
finding_nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2005, 06:52 PM   #21
xoxoxoBruce
The future is unwritten

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Thrasher
The only question I have; is what you mean when you say "those that deservre such help." I hope you meant those who really need help, for who are we to say who deserves help.
Anyone who's in the position to give help, thats who. Everyone has to judge whether their assistance is going to do any good, since nobody has unlimited resources.
You have to decide the risk, freeing a trapped animal might lead to injury or death. Picking up a pedestrian could do the same. (Personally I won't pick up women anymore.)
Investing time or money is less risky, but there again, most people would hope it wasn't wasted. You might not see a positive result but you(I) definitely don't want to see a negative.
Old 03-09-2005, 10:08 AM   #22
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding_nirvana
I like this thread, such an interrogatory thread for such suicidal people
Who's suicidal?

Quote:
we are here just for the sake of breeding and keeping the species going
Why? What's going to happen to me if I don't?
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 11:02 AM   #23
finding_nirvana
Sibling of the Commonweal

I'm not sure, I guess, if we stop breeding, the race will slowly diminish.
finding_nirvana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:04 PM   #24
mrnoodle
bent

"Why?" isn't as deep a concept as we try to make it. In the end, we're only looking for shelter, food, and sex to answer our instinctive need to propogate the species. We have evolved an advanced problem-solving ability so that our basic biological needs are met almost without any effort. The resulting spare time isn't something our brains are used to, and there's lots of wasted traffic along our neural pathways. This is directionless, random electrical activity that we have come to interpret as "deep thought" but is actually the product of an organ that is still keyed for high activity and hasn't adapted to the lack of need for it. At the pinnacle of human evolution, having answered all our survival needs with permanent shelters and food sources, and the ability to self-reproduce, our brains will be the size of peanuts and we will no longer have limbs, since there's no need to go anywhere, anyway. We will be utterly self-contained, no longer producing digestive waste, impacting our environment only insofar as we require 3 square feet of space for our bodies to wobble on. As we die, the single offspring we each produce will occupy the space we used to occupy. If only Darwin could have lived long enough to see the realization of his dream....

what?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:06 PM   #25
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
what?
Damn... Just damn...

And I thought I had a low opinion.
Old 03-09-2005, 12:10 PM   #26
mrnoodle
bent

: lol. what? isn't this the ideal scenario for people who think there is no soul, no god, only animal instinct and evolutionary advancement?
Old 03-09-2005, 12:37 PM   #27
SteveDallas
Your Bartender

Quote:
I'm not sure, I guess, if we stop breeding, the race will slowly diminish.
Yeah, but why do I as an individual care about that? If it's my only justification for getting out of bed and (attempting/pretending) to do something useful every morning, it seems pretty slim.
SteveDallas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 12:39 PM   #28
Troubleshooter
The urban Jane Goodall

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrnoodle
...isn't this the ideal scenario for people who think there is no soul, no god, only animal instinct and evolutionary advancement?
Um, no.
Old 03-09-2005, 01:12 PM   #29
Trilby
Slattern of the Swail

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveDallas
Yeah, but why do I as an individual care about that? If it's my only justification for getting out of bed and (attempting/pretending) to do something useful every morning, it seems pretty slim.
Maybe we get out of bed every morning and attempt to "do something" due to ego? Do depressed people suffer from depressed ego's? Is that why I--I mean they! they! stay in bed all damn day??? Anyone?
In Barrie's play and novel, the roles of fairies are brief: they are allies to the Lost Boys, the source of fairy dust and ...They are portrayed as dangerous, whimsical and extremely clever but quite hedonistic.

"Shall I give you a kiss?" Peter asked and, jerking an acorn button off his coat, solemnly presented it to her.
—James Barrie

Wimminfolk they be tricksy. - ZenGum
Trilby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2005, 05:55 PM   #30
Brown Thrasher
self=proclaimed ass looking for truth whatever that means

Quote:
Originally Posted by xoxoxoBruce
Anyone who's in the position to give help, thats who. Everyone has to judge whether their assistance is going to do any good, since nobody has unlimited resources.
You have to decide the risk, freeing a trapped animal might lead to injury or death. Picking up a pedestrian could do the same. (Personally I won't pick up women anymore.)
Investing time or money is less risky, but there again, most people would hope it wasn't wasted. You might not see a positive result but you(I) definitely don't want to see a negative.
You're right. My bad... I was looking at it via a different angle. Sad thing is I forgot what that angle was.....