Old 11-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #62
Griff
still says videotape

Huzzzzah!
Old 11-16-2011, 09:34 PM   #63
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

tyty Bv n G.

here are some nuts and bolts of what i'm getting into by means of how the office works:

private company. flex hours. full benefits. health, vision, dental, 401k when i go direct in 6 months. did i mention flex hours? oh yeah. i did didn't i? to sleep past 5:15am on a school day? chyah! small private company. you're not a corporate number but a person with ideas and input. 20k end of year bonus' minimum. flex hours. laid back atmosphere. business casual or even jeans and sneakers. how ever you want to dress (within reason y'all! sheesh!) travel. not a lot but i will be in the air and on the road. maybe even nigeria at some point. flex hours. end of year bonus' and flex hours. George, one of my interviewers called me this evening while i was still at the panel shop and re-confirmed my start date of the 28th and mentioned that "hey, did i tell you we have flex hours? show up that monday around 8:30 or so and we'll get you settled in."

well time to go start cleaning up around the track here so i can take my time but still be out of here by 11. oh yeah, almost forgot. i have one more week here at the track and at the panel shop then i'm down to one job. one career. damn what i ride the last 5 years have been.
Old 11-16-2011, 09:39 PM   #64
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

Does the new job offer flex hours?
Old 11-16-2011, 10:02 PM   #65
Lola Bunny
Junior Master Dwellar

So, does that mean you have more than exactly 15 minutes at a certain time to eat lunch?
Lola Bunny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:36 PM   #66
Stormieweather
Wearing her bitch boots

Congrats and good luck, Pthy!
Old 11-16-2011, 10:38 PM   #67
HungLikeJesus
Only looks like a disaster tourist

Every time I see this thread I think you're in a quarry.

SteveDallas's Random Thread Picker.
HungLikeJesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:14 AM   #68
kerosene
Touring the facilities

I bet they don't have flex time.

So glad to hear of your success with the job hunt. I know that high of getting the kind of job you want with the perks you are hoping for. Congratulations, plt.
kerosene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2011, 12:46 AM   #69
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lola Bunny View Post
So, does that mean you have more than exactly 15 minutes at a certain time to eat lunch?
yes, yes it does!

that is, if they offer flex hours.

hlj i'm in a quarry alright now!

ty storm!

kero, you know it!

classic? i dunno if they offer them or not but i think i might suggest that they do.
Old 11-17-2011, 11:05 AM   #70
classicman
barely disguised asshole, keeper of all that is holy.

yeh dude at those numbers - pshaw!
If they ain't offer flex hours, you might as well stay at the track.
Old 11-20-2011, 03:53 PM   #71
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

ok here's an update. you're not going to believe this shit. i will tell the story as it unfolded. starting with last wednesday evening. George from the new company calls me to firm up monday the 28th as my start date. no problem. i'll be there. during the conversation i mentioned that i was in the middle of calibrating an ammeter. it was 6:30 in the evening. he made note that i was still working and i told him i had at least another hour to go. he liked that. he could see that by my references that they were indeed true that i put forth my best effort whatever the task is or job calls for.

now thursday night around the same time:

job shop: "hi Plthijinx?"

me: "hey Sana, how are you?"

job shop: "i'm doing well. listen, your background check came back and i'm afraid we can't proceed any further."

small pause.

me: "what do you mean? i told you and your manager everything."

job shop: "yeah i know but i'm afraid we can't take this any further"

me: "this doesn't sound right. I talked to George last night......" she then cut me off

job shop: "you talked to him?!?!"

me: "yes. why don't i call him and find out what's going on?"

job shop: "no. i'm afraid i have to ask you to NOT contact the client."

me: "yyyeeahh. ok. sure. so basically what you're telling me is this: that if "the client" wants me then we will proceed?"

job shop: "something like that, yes."

me: "alright then. let me know what happens tomorrow."

*click*

now at this point i am floored, angry, stunned, you name it. i mulled over not calling George for what seemed like 5 minutes but it was more like 30 seconds. he didn't answer. he was gone for the evening. now i'm really throwed off here (pardon the hood rat speak). i can't concentrate on a skid that i'm testing and finally throw in the towel and clock out for the night. on the drive home i swear to God i almost cried.

Friday morning rolls around and i wait until around 9:30 to call George. no answer. about 30 minutes later he calls:

Geo: "hey Fred. listen, Ratshit Batshit Chickenshit Engineering doesn't want to hire you. BUT! before you get let down i want to say that right now at this moment we have our lawyers working to find out how we can hire you. we want you. we love your resume and your talents that you have already demonstrated to us. now, there is no way that we can legally hire you direct due to the fact that Ratshit Batshit Chickenshit Engineering submitted your resume over here because that would negate the existing contract that we have with them. However, there is another alternative. Can you come over here under the shop you're with now?"

me:"yeah, need me to call ZA and give him a heads up and your number?"

Geo:"yeah do that and we will know more by lunch or shortly thereafter."

me:"alright then"

so i called za and gave him a heads up. told him i had good news for him that the firm wants to hire me through him. i told him my rate and that he needed to work out the overall rate and come to an agreement with the firm. we talked about a few particulars and what i've just mentioned here then, this is funny, well to me anyway, za said, now about this thirty some odd an hour? how are we spitting this? i said, i don't know what you're going to get, i'm getting thirtysomeodd an hour. that's my rate. whatever you workout with Geo is up to y'all. he hung up and after lunch i got the call. i'm hired onto the firm through the shop i'm with now. za still gets to make money off of me for 6 more months then i go direct with the firm. after that, za will still get job contracts from us to build panels. win win situation. what an emotional roller coaster last week was.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:09 PM   #72
monster
I hear them call the tide

crazy.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:37 PM   #73
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Ratshit Batshit company just lost out on a big opportunity here, and likely many more contracts down the line now that they've got a new relationship going with ZA instead. It must have torn you apart while it was going on, but you came up with your head above water as always. Make sure you have a celebratory dinner tonight! I suggest a giant pile of BBQ ribs.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #74
limey
Encroaching on your decrees

Oh Gawd!! Well done you for keeping your head. I'll buy George and Za a pint anytime they're in my neighbourhood!!!!!
Old 11-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #75
plthijinx
Master Dwellar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post
Ratshit Batshit company just lost out on a big opportunity here, and likely many more contracts down the line now that they've got a new relationship going with ZA instead. It must have torn you apart while it was going on, but you came up with your head above water as always. Make sure you have a celebratory dinner tonight! I suggest a giant pile of BBQ ribs.
it did. like i said, i was damn near crying the whole way down the beltway and 45. and i sure as hell hope that Ratshit Batshit looses their contract. won't be soon but i know plenty of people in my line of work. whatever position we need to fill engineering wise? i know where to go and who to call.