The Cellar  

Go Back   The Cellar > Main > Arts & Entertainment
FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Arts & Entertainment Give meaning to your life or distract you from it for a while

Old 04-18-2011, 07:18 AM   #2041
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

Quote:

I read another one by her-The Real Life Adventures of Lidie Newton or something. It looked really boring, but ended up being a compulsive read.
I enjoyed A Thousand Acres. Like you said, it seemed it might be boring but it really wasn't. It was compelling as well.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 11:32 AM   #2042
casimendocina
Professor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aliantha View Post
I've just finished the second book of Steig Larrsen's Millenium series. I found the first book a bit of a drag to get into, but once I got there, it was great. Last night I was up till 3 am finishing the second book. (I looked at the clock at 10.30 and decided to give myself another hour. Next time I looked - after turning the last page - it was just before 3am.)

I'll get started on the third one tonight, although I don't expect to last long.
I couldn't put them down until I'd finished the whole series, even though the second one got to be just slightly on the contrived side (she said putting it mildly). Once I'd finished though I was happy to move on to something else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
I enjoyed A Thousand Acres. Like you said, it seemed it might be boring but it really wasn't. It was compelling as well.
I'll check it out. The place I'm renting/housesitting at the moment has the most fantastic collection of books. I've started reading Christopher Hitchens The Trial of Henry Kissinger. I saw Hitchens on TV years ago and thought he was a complete tosser. Then I read Clive James' latest memoir about a year ago which stated how incisive Hitchens was and thought perhaps that I shouldn't wipe him off the slate entirely.

I'm also about halfway though a Year in the Merde by Stephen Clarke. Thought it was going to be a really good book. It's alright, but can take it or leave it.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2011, 07:09 PM   #2043
lookout123
changed his status to single

Daybreak Zero. It is the follow up to Directive 51. It is part SciFi, part apocolypse/post-apocolypse, part political intrigue. A bit wordy at times but a couple of fun novels.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:20 PM   #2044
Griff
still says videotape

Finished 1453 and well into Spinward Fringe.
Old 04-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #2045
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

Just finished The Roots of Obama's Rage a fantastic read.... Explains a lot of how the man thinks. First read Dreams From my Father by Obama himself, fits like a glove. Well footnoted. Explains a lot of how this fella thinks.
Old 04-20-2011, 06:21 AM   #2046
casimendocina
Professor

Dreams from my Father made an 8 hour plane flight pass very quickly. I'll have to check out the other one you mentioned.
casimendocina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 02:58 PM   #2047
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Just started Spin. Really nice understated sci-fi, at least so far.

BUT... the voiceactor (I'm actually listening via audiobook) is the same dude who did The Worthing Saga. He's not my favorite guy to begin with, and now I'm having a really hard time separating him from the previous novel. Especially since the main characters in both books have the same damn first name.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2011, 08:26 PM   #2048
skysidhe
~~Life is either a daring adventure or nothing.~~

Quote:
Originally Posted by lookout123 View Post
Daybreak Zero. It is the follow up to Directive 51. It is part SciFi, part apocolypse/post-apocolypse, part political intrigue. A bit wordy at times but a couple of fun novels.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post

BUT... the voiceactor (I'm actually listening via audiobook) is the same dude who did The Worthing Saga. He's not my favorite guy to begin with, and now I'm having a really hard time separating him from the previous novel. Especially since the main characters in both books have the same damn first name.

These two caught my eye. I will check them out.
skysidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 07:54 AM   #2049
Griff
still says videotape

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clodfobble View Post

I don't generally listen to books is this a common problem?
Old 04-22-2011, 08:53 AM   #2050
DanaC
We have to go back, Kate!

Can be. The reader can make or break an audio book. Some readers just give it life (David Tennant is one that does, as is Nick Briggs) But some either sound as if they are reading, or just have the wrong voice for the story. Some can make each character that speaks sound like a distinct individual, others just sound all the same, or do different vioces that don't quite work.

It's rare I totally turn off a story because of the reader but it's happened a couple of times. I didn;t click with the reader of the Sookie Stackhouse stories and fell off them quicky because of it. The reader of the Dexter books by comparison, was so good that despite having strong preconceived notions of how the character should sound because I'd come to it through the tv show, his voice became Dexter's voice for me very quickly.
DanaC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:54 AM   #2051
Clodfobble
UNDER CONDITIONAL MITIGATION

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griff
I don't generally listen to books is this a common problem?
It can be an issue sometimes. Just like putting the wrong actor in a movie role. Sometimes someone you never would have cast yourself turns out to do a fantastic job in ways you never imagined. And sometimes it's still Tom Cruise no matter what costume you put him in.

I don't need distinct character voices so much, just enough that I can tell who's talking during long conversational scenes. Overall delivery is more important to me, and the guy I'm talking about (Scott Brick) has this kind of over-dramatic lilt to everything he says. But he's done tons of audio books, especially sci-fi, so obviously someone thinks he's good.

Last edited by Clodfobble; 04-22-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Clodfobble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2011, 10:59 AM   #2052
infinite monkey
Person who doesn't update the user title

omg, I so hope there aren't any audiobooks read by Bill "One-tone" Paxton or Kevin "Monotone" Costner.
infinite monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 11:28 PM   #2053
TheMercenary
“Hypocrisy: prejudice with a halo”

A history of TE Lawrence in 1916.
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 AM   #2054
footfootfoot
To shreds, you say?

Location: in the house and on the street-how many, many feet we meet!
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite monkey View Post
omg, I so hope there aren't any audiobooks read by Bill "One-tone" Paxton or Kevin "Monotone" Costner.
Or William Hurt
Old 05-08-2011, 10:03 AM   #2055
wolf
lobber of scimitars

i did it, I finally finished Vanity effin Fair.

It consumed my reading time from March 28 thru May 6, 2011.

I read other books in the middle, else I would have tackled it more quickly. I did get into a big push at the end to get it over with.

912 pages in which less happens than in the average episode of Seinfeld. And there was no Soup Nazi.

I am now reading Beneath the Bleeding by Val McDermid for fun and S'Mother: The Story of a Man, His Mom, and the Thousands of Altogether Insane Letters She's Mailed Him by Adam Chester for review.

I also have Doctor Who: The Gunfighters by Donald Cotton going. I don't like his style as far as Doctor Who novelizations goes, so it's not as fun a read as most of those old Doctor Who Target novelizations, which I am attempting to read in broadcast order.

"Conspiracies are the norm, not the exception." --G. Edward Griffin The Creature from Jekyll Island

High Priestess of the Church of the Whale Penis

Last edited by wolf; 05-08-2011 at 10:06 AM. Reason: more to say
wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books